Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with my Madstad windshield so before I replace it I wanted to ask the forum to see what I might be doing wrong. First off I have to say that the Madstad does a fantastic job of eliminating turbulence directly in front of my helmet. The problem I'm having is with turbulence directly above my head. The turbulence shakes my helmet and is very annoying. I have tried all kinds of angles and heights. Not long after my model year Road Glide (2004) they made a change to the Road Glide where they rotated the fairing one or two degrees forward and I'm wondering if that could be the problem. I think I can still purchase the hardware to make that mod to my bike but I wanted to know if anyone else had that problem on the older Road Glides with the Madstad. I'm 5'9" but most of my height comes from above my waist and I have a fat head I guess because I wear an extra large helmet. I'm not sure of the height of Madstad I have but I just measured it and it looks like It's about 13" tall at the tallest points on the windshield if I lay a tape measure up and down along the front of the windshield. If I need to do the mod to rotate the fairing I will do that but I didn't want to do it unless I have to. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Try a set of HD crash bar wind baffles, and Sancho wings.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have the HD crash bar or engine guard baffles installed. Will the Sancho's wings improve wind buffeting above my head?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Do you have the older mounting brackets or the Robo brackets? The Robo "might" give you a little more adjustment.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I have found that moving the outer shield brackets to the outer holes on the base brackets to create a larger gap between the shields make the difference. Also I angle the shield back towards me more than most say and the air is smooth. I am 6'1" and I run the 11" shield most of the time so I get plenty of air but not any buffeting.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I do have the HD crash bar or engine guard baffles installed. Will the Sancho's wings improve wind buffeting above my head?
Yes, they will stop the air coming around the tank that rides up your body. They're the BEST wind protection baffle on the market.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have you tried contacting Madstad. When I called them, they have been very helpful. They may be able to help and may also know if changing the fairing angle would help.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Do you have the older mounting brackets or the Robo brackets? The Robo "might" give you a little more adjustment.

The old brackets which I have actually allow for more adjustment than the new style which I also have. What the new style does is allow you to make adjustments easier, faster and on the fly.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I set my shield at 58 degrees using a 11" set edge at nose height. air goes over my head riding solo. check your brackets. i am running with the deep robo brackets. gives a greater separation between the inner and outer shields. i am 5'8" with 1" lowered stock RGU seat. call Mark at Madstad

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have found that moving the outer shield brackets to the outer holes on the base brackets to create a larger gap between the shields make the difference. Also I angle the shield back towards me more than most say and the air is smooth. I am 6'1" and I run the 11" shield most of the time so I get plenty of air but not any buffeting.
I did this few months ago. Kem is right it makes a difference.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Any help or suggestions

Could the helmet be the problem? Some helmets like my 3/4 HJC still have a little buffeting until I open the face shield a little. Maybe the helmets top air vents are catching the airflow? Have you tried riding without it or using a different one?

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Could the helmet be the problem? Some helmets like my 3/4 HJC still have a little buffeting until I open the face shield a little. Maybe the helmets top air vents are catching the airflow? Have you tried riding without it or using a different one?

I have the Harley version of the same helmet and I do agree that different helmets handle the air different. But once I adjusted the brackets out that helmet felt just as good as any other I own. No more buffeting.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a '13 RGC with a Madstad 13" and the old style brackets. I am 6' tall and the Madstad does a pretty good job. I experimented with a few settings and got it set "pretty good" for me and haven't moved it since. The old style brackets can be mounted upside down and that can give you different adjustment options. I moved my brackets more than once and now I'm really not sure if they are upside down or not but I ain't screwing with it any more.

And just like Marion, I tried the Sancho's wings, after I installed & adjusted the Madstad, and I can't tell any difference with or without the wings but they are on so they will stay.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The old brackets which I have actually allow for more adjustment than the new style which I also have. What the new style does is allow you to make adjustments easier, faster and on the fly.
Copy that, just figured I would throw it out there.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I set my shield at 58 degrees using a 11" set edge at nose height. air goes over my head riding solo. check your brackets. i am running with the deep robo brackets. gives a greater separation between the inner and outer shields. i am 5'8" with 1" lowered stock RGU seat. call Mark at Madstad
+1 on the 58*. I put the bike in my wheel chock, got it level and set the angle and height.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have the Harley version of the same helmet and I do agree that different helmets handle the air different. But once I adjusted the brackets out that helmet felt just as good as any other I own. No more buffeting.
That's an interesting observation that I also noticed. I also have the HJC 3/4. Riding with the shield up a little works just like the Madstad up a little. Actually, when riding on two lane roads I keep my Madstad about half way up and when riding on super slab the shield is all the way up. I also keep the tilt at its most up right position. Well, at the very least, there are lots of options.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

RGKen,

Thanks for the idea of using the outer hole on the Robo brackets. I'm going to try that. The next thing I was going to try was to buy the taller 14.5 inch windshield and push it all the way down thinking that it might send the air higher over my head so you have given me another option. I'll let you know if it works but from what you are saying it looks like it will. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I'm betting that you will get the result that you're looking for. I also don't get real specific with the angle as I move it around fairly often. 58 degrees is a great starting point for most but I prefer it less upright. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts