Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Sony MEX M71BT Radio, that I installed when I upgraded My Audio System, recently has given me a lot of trouble.
While riding, it constantly changes functions and the display changes colors.
When I shut the radio off for an extended period then turn it back on it returns to DEMO Mode and all the presets are lost.
I have tried everything imaginable but for the life of me I cannot get this radio to work properly.
I have contacted the Vendor and they have already sent me a Return & Exchange Form.
Since all the trouble I want to go with a different Head Unit altogether.
I really like the Sony but don't want to go through the same hassle all over again.
I was thinking of the Sony MEX M100BT.
Any suggestions in regards to Head Units is great appreciated.
It should be noted that I had the Alpine CDE149BT but had problems with that one too.
Thanks.
Mike U.

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
The new Sony MEX M71BT Radio, that I installed when I upgraded My Audio System, recently has given me a lot of trouble.
While riding, it constantly changes functions and the display changes colors.
When I shut the radio off for an extended period then turn it back on it returns to DEMO Mode and all the presets are lost.
I have tried everything imaginable but for the life of me I cannot get this radio to work properly.
I have contacted the Vendor and they have already sent me a Return & Exchange Form.
Since all the trouble I want to go with a different Head Unit altogether.
I really like the Sony but don't want to go through the same hassle all over again.
I was thinking of the Sony MEX M100BT.
Any suggestions in regards to Head Units is great appreciated.
It should be noted that I had the Alpine CDE149BT but had problems with that one too.
Thanks.
Mike U.
What kind of problem did you have with your Alpine ? Which I was about to suggest.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i had a sony radio like this as well. not sure if it was the exact same model, but i had to get a different head unit. my sony had a voice command feature that if you depressed the knob, you could give voice commands like calling from the bluetooth connected phone. not particularly useful on a motorcycle. problem was you couldn't disable it and a bump would wiggle the knob enough to activate it and cut out the radio and ask for your command. god was it annoying. i ripped that SOB out and tossed it in the trash. i don't know if it's just my bad luck, but i've never had good luck with sony head units.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of problem did you have with your Alpine ? Which I was about to suggest.
Big_gary, the problem I had with the Alpine was it wasn't playing as well as I expected it to.
I think the problem I had with the Alpine may have been the Hawg Wired Amp I was using to power it and the speakers.
I am going to put the Alpine back in this week and see how it works with the 3 Soundigital Amps and DSP I am running now.
If it plays as well as the Sony I have in there now I'll be happy.
If not, I'll just send the Sony back for either a replacement or an upgraded Sony.
Mike U.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I took the opportunity of a nice day and removed the Sony MEX M71BT that I had various problems with and replaced it with my old Alpine CDE HD149BT.
I will be sending the Sony back for a replacement.
The Alpine is playing okay but it's still not to my liking.
I really like the sound of the Sony Head Units.
But I don't want to go with another Sony MEX M71BT. I was thinking of the Sony MEX M100BT.
Any thoughts or different suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Mike U.

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Well, I took the opportunity of a nice day and removed the Sony MEX M71BT that I had various problems with and replaced it with my old Alpine CDE HD149BT.
I will be sending the Sony back for a replacement.
The Alpine is playing okay but it's still not to my liking.
I really like the sound of the Sony Head Units.
But I don't want to go with another Sony MEX M71BT. I was thinking of the Sony MEX M100BT.
Any thoughts or different suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Mike U.
What don't you like about the alpine ? Did you go into all the settings ?
I got the 149 on the bike and it's double din sister in my truck and think they sound great.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What don't you like about the alpine ? Did you go into all the settings ?
I got the 149 on the bike and it's double din sister in my truck and think they sound great.

Big_gary the Alpine doesn’t sound as good as the Sony. I have the HU EQ at flat and have it connected to the DSI-2.
I’m going to play around with it a bit more and see if I can get it to my liking.
I’m hoping the Alpine isn’t a lemon like my Sony was.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Big_gary the Alpine doesn’t sound as good as the Sony. I have the HU EQ at flat and have it connected to the DSI-2.
I’m going to play around with it a bit more and see if I can get it to my liking.
I’m hoping the Alpine isn’t a lemon like my Sony was.
Mike U.

Mike, I'm not sure about the 149, but the 265 has some good tutorials in youtube on the settings. Both the 149 and the 265 have the same sound settings. These settings make a huge difference in sound. Not sure about what they will do with your DSP in line, but it's definitely worth a look.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike, I'm not sure about the 149, but the 265 has some good tutorials in youtube on the settings. Both the 149 and the 265 have the same sound settings. These settings make a huge difference in sound. Not sure about what they will do with your DSP in line, but it's definitely worth a look.
Good luck.

Thanks for the info Bro.
I’ll check The YouTube and see if that helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Sony MEX M71BT, that I returned, arrived at The Vendor yesterday and I was given store credit for it.
Today I called and placed an order for The Sony MEX M100BT.
Once it arrives and I get it installed I will make a post on my thoughts.
To Be Continued.......
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The Sony MEX M71BT, that I returned, arrived at The Vendor yesterday and I was given store credit for it.
To Be Continued.......
Mike U.
It never ends....

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
To Be Continued.......
Mike U.
Mike, I hope the new HU is what your looking for sound wise. It seems like the journey never ends, but its the fun part. Keep pushing for the unicorn brother.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, since I reinstalled my old Alpine CDE-HD 149BT and taken a few nice rides I remembered that another reason I didn't care for it was the way the faceplate would pop open whenever I hit a bump in the road.
Never had that problem with any of The Sony's I had.
I took the opportunity of not having anything to do today and installed my New Sony MEX M100BT.
All's I can say is WOW!!!
It didn't take me too long to remove and replace headunits.
Once I was done I fired it up and connected my laptop to tune it and what a difference.
I set the DEMO to off, calibrated the Time and set the Buttons to Red and the Display to Green and so far all is working as expected.
As soon as I get a chance I'll make another video for All to Hear.
I hope I finally have the Headunit I want.
Mike U.

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
Well, since I reinstalled my old Alpine CDE-HD 149BT and taken a few nice rides I remembered that another reason I didn't care for it was the way the faceplate would pop open whenever I hit a bump in the road.
Never had that problem with any of The Sony's I had.
I took the opportunity of not having anything to do today and installed my New Sony MEX M100BT.
All's I can say is WOW!!!
It didn't take me too long to remove and replace headunits.
Once I was done I fired it up and connected my laptop to tune it and what a difference.
I set the DEMO to off, calibrated the Time and set the Buttons to Red and the Display to Green and so far all is working as expected.
As soon as I get a chance I'll make another video for All to Hear.
I hope I finally have the Headunit I want.
Mike U.
Now you got me wondering about what I'm missing. :). Never once did my face plate pop open.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now you got me wondering about what I'm missing. :). Never once did my face plate pop open.
Big_gary when I first installed the Alpine CDE-HD149 BT I was on my way home from good old NYC when I hit a big bump on the NYS Thruway and the original faceplate opened up and flew off into the wind.
Boy was I pissed, to say the least.
I had to overnite a new one so I would have tunes when riding.
It never totally came off again but would pop open and have to be re shut.
I have been very happy with The Sony Headunits and am really liking the new MEX M100BT.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Big_gary when I first installed the Alpine CDE-HD149 BT I was on my way home from good old NYC when I hit a big bump on the NYS Thruway and the original faceplate opened up and flew off into the wind.
Boy was I pissed, to say the least.
I had to overnite a new one so I would have tunes when riding.
It never totally came off again but would pop open and have to be re shut.
I have been very happy with The Sony Headunits and am really liking the new MEX M100BT.
Mike U.
I too have never had a problem with my Alpine and would really like to know what the sound difference is. Also, a problem with the Sony is no usb port on the rear and since I use an Ipod for my music and don't want a cable sticking out the front, I guess I will sick with the 149.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I was able to take a nice ride today and the new Sony MEX M100BT played great.
I had my iPod with my "On The Go" playlist playing and the sound was outstanding.
I was able to hear it extremely well at 70+.
I can honestly say I am very pleased with this headunit so far.
Mike U.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Mike, I second the Alpine HU....I just changed from a CDE 137BT, to a newer cde 175by and it rocks...better than the one I had since 2012...All bells and whistles, XM capable, but primarily use Bluetooth, usb, and Pandora for jams....Big fan of Alpine...Good luck brah!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Big fan of Alpine..Solid and true!!! Good luck Mike.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mike, I second the Alpine HU....I just changed from a CDE 137BT, to a newer cde 175by and it rocks...better than the one I had since 2012...All bells and whistles, XM capable, but primarily use Bluetooth, usb, and Pandora for jams....Big fan of Alpine...Good luck brah!
Thanks Doug, I appreciate it Bro!
I originally went with the Alpine CDE-HD149BT because of all the excellent reviews I read about it on Our Great Forum.
I also installed one in My Riding Buddies Roadglide and he hasn't had any problems with his and likes it very much.
At this point, I am thinking that the one I received was a bad headunit, just like the Sony MEX M71BT I replaced.
It's like that old saying, "If it wasn't for Bad Luck I'd have No Luck at All".
I'm hoping that my new Sony MEX M100BT keeps on playing as it gets great reviews over on the Other Forum.
Mike U.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts