Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a S&S 124 build and curious which setup would give the best results. I was waiting on HD blower to come our with their system but they will probably be in beta forever :) ..

I also considered aerocharger they have a very nice setup but they dont offer a dual exhaust option.

Looking at Dyno sheets it appears that a turbo is much better when producing torque numbers.

Which would would be a better option?

·
Registered
111 Posts
All have there pro/ con deal.

Trask is going to be heat. Now that may or may not be an issue based on region and type of riding that you do.

Pro charger is looks many do not like the overall " look"

Aero charger not new but new with the new set up. I like where its at and think that over all its about the cleanest you can get. My one concern is heat on the pass right foot. Not enough data/ feedback yet to have a firm answer there.

Tuning on both the trask and procharger is best done with a t max for your build without a doubt.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Talked to Frank today and decided to go with a procharger, I really dont want to deal with the heat. Second the cost for a turbo is more.. Ill be bucking the system I know everyone uses Tmax but Ill be using Power Commander V Pti...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Talked to Frank today and decided to go with a procharger, I really dont want to deal with the heat. Second the cost for a turbo is more.. Ill be bucking the system I know everyone uses Tmax but Ill be using Power Commander V Pti...
Why the PC V instead of the Tmax?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why the PC V instead of the Tmax?
1) cost (600 dollar differance roughly)
2) I don't see any differance in functionality between the 2
3) I am familiar with it already and so is my tuner

Still working the procharger into the budget hope I can make it work.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Procharger makes quality equipment. I don't have one on the bike but have in my car and love it. Talk about increasing HP. Good luck and let us know the results.

·
Registered
98 Posts
1) cost (600 dollar differance roughly)
2) I don't see any differance in functionality between the 2
3) I am familiar with it already and so is my tuner

Still working the procharger into the budget hope I can make it work.
If your tuner is more familiar with the PC V that's prob. your best bet.That being said I think you would get a better tune with the ThunderMax.I'm currently running a PC V this winter when Frank punches my 107" out to a 117 I'll be switching to a Thunder Max.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your tuner is more familiar with the PC V that's prob. your best bet.That being said I think you would get a better tune with the ThunderMax.I'm currently running a PC V this winter when Frank punches my 107" out to a 117 I'll be switching to a Thunder Max.
So why would I get a better tune with the Thunder max? Just curious on why you think that way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
With a PC V you have to run big injectors ,I'm running 90lb/hr injectors.You have to bullshit the system so you can get enough fuel out of your injectors sometimes running more than 100% duty on them.Sometimes your bike will run like ass down low on a hot summer day.With a Thundermax you have none of these issues.Install it, tune it and ride it.I've seen Frank tune numerous Forced Induction bikes and never a problem and I've rode a number of these bikes and they all run flawlessly.I speak from experience because I myself am running a PC V .Back in '09 when we built my bike that's all there was {PC V}.This winter it will be coming off and a ThunderMax will be getting installed.But again it's better for you to use the system your tuner is most comfortable with to get the best tune.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for explaining.

From my understanding the new pcv has a module that will now correct for that. So no more having to bs the numbers.
Thanks again

·
Registered
111 Posts
PV PTI would be the item you need if you so decide to use the PV. However do not forget that the PV V still is tuning on waht ever base map is loaded in the ECM. If you had a stage 1 cal flashed in the ECM I feel that you should use the Tmax hands down over the PV PTI. IF your build is tuned with say a TTS or PRO HD tuner then the PV PTI will work. Still not as good as the T max. Pro charger does sell many PV tuners but the large % are for basic builds you are not in that range.

We tuned a 120R with tmax & 15 psi boost to 222 hp 175+ tq. A tuner is not something to save money on. Frank will tell you first hand that the T max is the tuner for a build of that stature.

T max is not my go to tuner unless the engine is boosted, and there it really shines.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My buddy runs a 124 with a Procharger. its insane! He also tunes with a PC-V to tune it using pressure. On a interesting note I was talking to fuel moto and they recommend stacking a power vision with power commander V. You tune off boost with the power vision on everything on boost with the power commander V. Looking at going that way soon with his bike.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My buddy runs a 124 with a Procharger. its insane! He also tunes with a PC-V to tune it using pressure. On a interesting note I was talking to fuel moto and they recommend stacking a power vision with power commander V. You tune off boost with the power vision on everything on boost with the power commander V. Looking at going that way soon with his bike.
That's the thing you don't need both anymore u tune boost with the pcv. Talking with shops here that do them they been using power commander without that module for a while now with no issues.

15 pounds of boost in a 120r?, it was recommended for me to run no more that 6 to 8 on a built motor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's the thing you don't need both anymore u tune boost with the pcv. Talking with shops here that do them they been using power commander without that module for a while now with no issues.

15 pounds of boost in a 120r?, it was recommended for me to run no more that 6 to 8 on a built motor.
He currently runs a PC-V PTI and tunes off pressure. He also uses the LCD display to keep an eye on things. It works great but the features of piggy backing a Power Vision may even be better. I just switched from a PC-V to a Power Vision on my bike. I like how the it removes the HD map and puts in a whole new map, not just "fooling" the map like the PC-V does. I also like all the extras that the Power Vision has and how the auto tune has graph that lets you know what areas are being tuned as you ride. That being said a Power Vision alone with a force induction motor wont work, the ECM cant tune for forced induction so neither can the Power Vision. The theory is you can have all the benefits of a Power Vision and tune off boost with it and use the PC-V PTI to tune on boost.
We have both become very adept at tuning the PC-V over the years, carrying the laptop and making adjustments. My only complaint (so far) with the power vision is that you only data log the auto tune and have to go in and apply the changes. I liked how the PC-V makes changes as you ride then you can accept or clear the trims with the laptop.

whatever you do, you are the one that has to be comfortable with the setup!

·
Registered
111 Posts

PCV has pressure tables with the correct input. like a 2-3 bar map sensor , no way for the V to understand 100+ KPA without a new sensor.

if you want 200+ you will need more that 6-8 psi of boost.

Setting the static is the first step then setting the CCP based ( cam selection) on the static comp ratio.

We can go the next step and run a very simple meth kit set to trigger based on PSI and % of ramp in as boost increases. The last 15 psi was no meth. Just did a 12 psi 124 and ran the meth kit runs extremely strong.

Many ways to complete the job. Good luck on the build

1 - 15 of 15 Posts