Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short...
Been in shape my whole life. When I was 4 years old I started begging my father for a motorcycle. He made a deal with me. If I started lifting weights and stuck to the workout plan he set for me, I would get a motorcycle when I turned 5. As I grew up I had to workout like most kids had to do homework or chores before they could go play with the other kids.He was obsessed with wanting me to be some kind of tough guy. He was a mean drunk and I ended up with some anger issues.

As soon as I was old enough to get a job and drive I started training in martial arts. It helped me with the anger and probably kept me out of prison. I trained on and off my whole life in different styles and on to earn this 6 years ago.

Shortly after some things changed in my life and I wasn't able to train much at all and went to a night shift job. I put on about 65 lbs. in a year. Then I started having a good bit of back pain. After a lot of therapy, injections. 3 different Dr.'s and a disco-gram they tell me I have 2 torn disk. 1 grade 4 and 1 grade 5 torn through all 3 layers. I also have arthritis in every joint running down my spine, 6 bulging disk and 2 cyst. They wanted to do surgery but I plan to put it off as long as I am able to work and ride. I got pretty depressed facing the fact that I would probably never train again and started drinking pretty heavily.

I went on a diet in Jan. and have lost 35 lbs. but was still drinking. It dawned on me that one night that I could get me a newer bike with the money I would save if I quit drinking. So I quit on D-Day June 6 and now I have this.

I'm not one to put my business out there but hope it will motivate somebody.
Moral of the story: Quit an expensive habit and buy a new bike with the money you save.:wink:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great story! Congrats on your weight loss and journey to healthier living. You prove there's a payoff!
Thanks houston. My back pain has in cut half since loosing the weight also. so it's a double pay off.:)

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Nice Bro - Glad you are back on track - Many a bad back mofo on this site - I had a Micro-Discectomy after my L4-L5-S1 Debacle from Motocross - I put off my surgery for 9 years and lived off injections and just about every kind of pain pill out there - I got tired of being a slave to those things and quit cold turkey in 2013 - HORRIBLE month but it got better every day

Remind me never to smart mouth you to avoid the round house........4 day nap and wake up in the Hosp with jaw wired shut trying to say "What The Fuck happened?"

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Good story. Stick with what your doing. Your headed in the right direction. Great looking bike you have there. Alot of good information on this site and some good support to help you with your goals.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lived off injections and just about every kind of pain pill out there - I got tired of being a slave to those things and quit cold turkey in 2013 - HORRIBLE month but it got better every day
Glad to hear you got free from the pills. I don't take any unless I'm in severe unbearable pain and at that point they don't help anyhow. The facet injections and epidural shots didn't help either but I went to a new Dr. and he shot some lidocaine around the disk as a "test". I did get about 40-50% relief but it was very short lived. When I go back he will be injecting something longer lasting in there.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Haha, nice ride! I quit a 30+ year pack and a half a day smoking habit 5 years ago. You wouldn't BELIEVE how many guns and mods I've bought using that as a justification. Love it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts