Road Glide banner

Progressive 444 Changed the bike so much

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  spudnick 
#1 ·
I see a lot of love for suspension upgrades. Not many that specifically say they are upgrading the "premium hand adjustable" Rushmore shocks. That was my project two weeks ago. My 17 RGS (FLTRXS) had revealed itself to be woefully unprepared for heavy 2 up touring. I am over 3 bills and that only leaves about 130 lbs total weight capacity for anything else that goes on the bike.

I have been stalking the suspension pages for a long time and seen lots of love for Fox, Legand and Ohlins. Not a lot of love for Progressive though. I picked up a set of Progressive 444 12" HD shocks from www.lawabidingbiker.com a few weeks ago and tossed them on the bike. Install was maybe 30 minutes if I count the 10 minutes looking for the spacer that I dropped. Another 10 minutes to set the sag and a minute to put the sticker on the inside of my tour pak. What was most noticeable during install was difference on the throttle side of the bike. This is the non adjustable side and the difference in the two pistons and the springs was amazing. Enough that I took pictures. The fit and finish on the Progressive shocks was fantastic. The ride was great. The bike is much more planted then it has ever been. The harsh shock of the bridge transitions is now a bump and not a teeth rattler. The bike is more stable in the corner and a pleasure to ride. I installed a pro pipe this month as well so between the added power, sound and suspension its hard to remember it is the same bike.
Suspension part Suspension Auto part Coil spring

See less See more
#5 ·
I've had/have Progressive rear shocks on other bikes and have their Monotubes on the Glide up front. I think the Progressives work best for heavier loads. It's usually bean stocks complaining about the harshness of Progressive shocks.
You really want a surprise, cut that oem shock in half. The one without the handle. It's empty !

#6 ·
I've had/have Progressive rear shocks on other bikes and have their Monotubes on the Glide up front. I think the Progressives work best for heavier loads. It's usually bean stocks complaining about the harshness of Progressive shocks.
You really want a surprise, cut that oem shock in half. The one without the handle. It's empty !
Well, of course it is. It’s an air shock. There’s (hopefully) pressurized air in there. Or there was before you cut it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I run 444's on the back of my TRX. Went with the inch longer TRU shocks. Its a set of 350lb/in on the back, adjusted to the lighter end of the settings. Its a rough ride, but it no longer squats when I roll the power on in a turn. And it has yet to bottom out.

With the shorter air shocks I was constantly dragging the edges of the boards and sometimes even the brackets would hit. But the ride while softer was worse, they would bottom out on frost heaves and try to break my ass bone. The inch shorter TRX shocks also have an inch less stroke.

#13 ·
I have a 2015 RGS. The 1st mod I did was Progressive 444 shocks. I am 240 lbs and wife 120. Before purchase I called Progressive and asked whether I should go with standard or Heavy Duty rated springs. The rep stated I should be good with Standard. When I ride solo the ride is awesome, but 2 up the shocks still bottom out on med-large bumps. I should have gone with Heavy Duty for 2 up riding.
BTW - the install was EZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.