Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got tired of being beat up by the stock air shocks on my 2013 RGC ... Put on a set of Progressive 444s and maaaaaan what an improvement!!
Bumps , dips and railroad crossings that once knocked me out of the saddle are mostly a thing of the past !
Now, anyone know where to get the best price on stock height Monotubes? :D

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Congrats on the 444's. I got them along with the Monotubes at Direct Cycle Parts. Mention RG.org for a discount.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
I put the Progressive 440s on my bike and I really like the ride and handling characteristics. I did the mono tubes too, both are great upgrades. Enjoy!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Looking at this upgrade right now. I have a '10 RGC.

A couple questions:
Why 444's vs 944's? Hard for me to determine the diff between the two.
What spring length did you go with? Did the 444's lower the bike at all?
Thanks

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at this upgrade right now. I have a '10 RGC.

A couple questions:
Why 444's vs 944's? Hard for me to determine the diff between the two.
What spring length did you go with? Did the 444's lower the bike at all?
Thanks
I had 13" shocks even though 2009 and later specs for RGC call for 12". It worked out well for me because I'm 6'4" with a 39" inseam. I need all the additional height I can get.
The 944s, according to Progressive's web site have the travel of a 13" shock but lower you an inch on road and on the side stand. They are also several hundred more dollars. Other than that I think the mechanics of both shocks are the same.
I got the standard spring rather than heavy duty. I'm a light weight and ride solo so I felt I didn't need heavy springs. Had also read a post on another forum from a guy who said he weighed 220, rides two up sometimes and wishes he would have gotten the standard springs.
You can get the 444s from 11" to 13.5" to suit how you want the bike to sit and your height.
Swapping the 13" stock for 13" 444s kept everything exactly like it was.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Great reply, much appreciated. I will pull the trigger on 444's. I'm only 5'11" so can handle a 1" drop. It also sounds like the std spring is right for me. I like it firm but at only 200 lbs I am sure it will be just right.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm really liking my standard 444. Just got them on and am still playing with the adjustment. I'm 210 lbs and am at 2 full turns from minimum. Thinking I can go down another full turn. I would call it a firm ride but smooth. Have hit some nasty bumps as the roads in Tulsa suck ass and still haven't bottomed out.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Where are you guys buying your shocks.....finding the prices are all over the place on the 444's and dubious of buying from ebay unless someone recommends the seller.
Thanks

Oh, just saw the reference to Direct Cycle Parts in an earlier post. Will give them a call.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just put on 12 1/2 inch 444. How many turns you running for preload ?
I left them at the factory setting which is the lightest preload.
I'm out for a 500 mile round trip this weekend and plan on trying different settings to see what works best for me.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where are you guys buying your shocks.....finding the prices are all over the place on the 444's and dubious of buying from ebay unless someone recommends the seller.
Thanks

Oh, just saw the reference to Direct Cycle Parts in an earlier post. Will give them a call.
Yep, after a lot of web surfing , Direct Cycle Parts had the best price and free shipping.
I've bought several items from them over the past few years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put the 12.5" on my '13 RG. I have them set at the second line and it seems pretty good for me at 190#.
Got mine of amazon for about $450.
Gonna do the front during the winter...so I can send my lowers out for powder coating at the same time it's down.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put the 12.5" on my '13 RG. I have them set at the second line and it seems pretty good for me at 190#.
Got mine of amazon for about $450.
Gonna do the front during the winter...so I can send my lowers out for powder coating at the same time it's down.
Good plan! I'm gonna do the monotube upgrade in a couple weeks. I rode from Arlington, TX to Austin and back this weekend and the 444s just got better and better! I didn't make any adjustments- just left em like they came outta the box. I might give em one turn if I load the bags and tour bag down for a week long trip.
If you were anywhere near Arlington I could recommend a great powder coater.
There's also a forum member "Jetman" that does a lot of work for forum members.
Welcome to the forum by the way!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've got 11.5" 444's with heavy springs. I picked them up from a guy locally at a very good price. New in the box. With me at 190# they are to stiff, but after trying them riding double up, they are nice and way better than stock. I can actually feel them absorbing the bumps (what a concept) something I never felt with stock shocks. I'm sending them in for the standard springs and will still be money ahead of buying them on the web.I know their are better shocks out there, but I think this will work for me.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I believe the 07's are 13" along with the Ultra's. The R/G customs and street glides have 12".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts