Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Progressive 940s ordered...INSTALLED, RIDDEN!!

Pulled the trigger on on a set of progressive 940s today from Direct Harley Parts...got tired of waiting for the 944s...hopefully will get them on and riding by next week sometime!!

Rode about 800 miles last weekend so have a good idea of what my ride does over varied terrain...conditions..

REALLY wanted the monotubes but couldn't stretch that far yet...

Will post as I go!!:D

·
Registered
368 Posts
dude - figure out a way to do the monotubes too.

did tubes and 940's a month ago - changed my life (on my bike)

first time i rode my rgc i was impressed a big bike was so nimble - but after tighten things up my comfort level went from 6 to a 9. can run way deeper into turns knowing the front wont dive in a sudden movement

by far my favorite upgrades

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have put several thousand miles on my 940's so far and wished I would have went with the 440's. I put about 80,000 miles on my 440's on my egc and found them better then the 940's. I had to send the 940s back for the lighter springs which was free of charge but they still are not as nice riding as the 440s were. In fact I think I ultimately like the stock air shocks better.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I could have reached for the extra 240-250 bucks for the tubes, but with the couple extra hundred for the install (not brave) couldn't get there...

I'm 235 and my BSR varies between 80-125...we'll see how the springs go..

I looked the 440s but the price was only 50 bucks different so going with my normal tendency, went with the "higher" model...

·
Registered
368 Posts
well if you only got the funds for 1 you made the right choice

as much as i love the new handling characteristics if i hit one more spine busters with those bs air shocks i mite have sold bike

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What made me jump is going around corners that have slight dips..the whole bike "waves" and the back end feels like it is swinging outward in spurts...i.e. dangerous...bad feeling...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have put several thousand miles on my 940's so far and wished I would have went with the 440's. I put about 80,000 miles on my 440's on my egc and found them better then the 940's. I had to send the 940s back for the lighter springs which was free of charge but they still are not as nice riding as the 440s were. In fact I think I ultimately like the stock air shocks better.
I put a set of 940s on last week and I can't believe how hard the ride is. I have em set at the sofest setting and still it's like rideing with no shocks at all. I guess I will have to tie up the bike while I send them back for softer springs as well. After spending some serious cash for them I am really disappointed

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I put a set of 940s on last week and I can't believe how hard the ride is. I have em set at the sofest setting and still it's like rideing with no shocks at all. I guess I will have to tie up the bike while I send them back for softer springs as well. After spending some serious cash for them I am really disappointed
They do have quick turn around. I just put my old shocks on but it was only a week from when sent til i got them back
Still not 100% happy with the ride
really. I lost weight and am about 175 and even on no preload stiff

·
Registered
614 Posts
What made me jump is going around corners that have slight dips..the whole bike "waves" and the back end feels like it is swinging outward in spurts...i.e. dangerous...bad feeling...
Thats "bagger wobble" better shocks will help that but usually the best thing is a frame stabilizer, like TrueTrack, Progressive Link, etc

What year is your bike ? The new frame bikes still have it at times when pushed but nothing like the older (pre 09) bikes. I still get it once in awhile on high speed sweepers with a slight dip in them even with the 940 and Monotubes

·
Registered
614 Posts
They do have quick turn around. I just put my old shocks on but it was only a week from when sent til i got them back
Still not 100% happy with the ride
really. I lost weight and am about 175 and even on no preload stiff
The 940 and the 440 use the same dampening design, basically the same shock except that the 940 is designed longer and to have increased "sag" at rest so you have the lowered look of the 12" shock with travel of a 13" shock.

At 175 lbs you are on the light side for the springs. If you had the 940 changed out to the lighter springs they are now the same rate spring as the stock 440. You may want to call Progressive again and see if they will set you us with an even lighter spring based on your weight.

I"m 210 lbs ride solo and with the lighter springs on my 940 I only preload them 2 turns and if I wanted a cushy ride I would probably run them at 1/2 turn preload.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats "bagger wobble" better shocks will help that but usually the best thing is a frame stabilizer, like TrueTrack, Progressive Link, etc

What year is your bike ? The new frame bikes still have it at times when pushed but nothing like the older (pre 09) bikes. I still get it once in awhile on high speed sweepers with a slight dip in them even with the 940 and Monotubes
2010...hoping it gets better!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Interesting, I just put mine on last week and took a road trip with the better half. Rode great two up.

Solo it is a bit stiff. I called Progressive to make sure I was setting it up correctly and I was

I am only able to get 3/8 of sag with no preload. I am 190lbs with a tour pak.

Progressive recommends 3/4 inch or 6/8th so I am only half way there.

I am sending them back in the morning to have the lighter springs put on at no charge except shipping.

I had the 440s on my Valkyrie and loved them except they were hard to adjust sometimes if not lubricated. The slick chrome was hard to grip.

Still loving the mono-shocks. Much better handling and bike even feels lighter being lowered.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Interesting.......how much do you weigh? Do you have a tour pac? Are you riding two up? I am getting ready to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
XARAN I"m 210 lbs ride solo and with the lighter springs on my 940 I only preload them 2 turns and if I wanted a cushy ride I would probably run them at 1/2 turn preload.[/QUOTE said:
So is that 2 "turns" revolutions from the softest setting? or 2 threads which is described in the instructions..

Also from tearlesstom

"I am only able to get 3/8 of sag with no preload. I am 190lbs with a tour pak.

Progressive recommends 3/4 inch or 6/8th so I am only half way there." What does the 3/4 inch refer to? travel of the shaft?

I installed last night (couldnt wait) only to have t-storms today...setting the sag I still have questions about...I marked with a silver sharpie the bezel position at softest setting and am planning to use that to gage the rotations...any advice?

BTW, I am 235, 2010 RGC with tourpack. Looking to ID settings for solo and then 2 up...

Appreciate!!

I thought I'd mention (I will post in the correct section) I bought from Direct Harley Parts and it took 2 days from order to door....cant get much better than that...and under $460 too...

EDIT: Found it Xaran!!

Same for me. Adjust the preload all the way counter clockwise ( up to top) made a small mark on the outside of the spring cup. Im running at 2 or 2.5 turns clockwise (tighten)

Thx!!

NEED TO RIDE TONIGHT THUNDER OR NO THUNDER>>

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The 940 and the 440 use the same dampening design, basically the same shock except that the 940 is designed longer and to have increased "sag" at rest so you have the lowered look of the 12" shock with travel of a 13" shock.

At 175 lbs you are on the light side for the springs. If you had the 940 changed out to the lighter springs they are now the same rate spring as the stock 440. You may want to call Progressive again and see if they will set you us with an even lighter spring based on your weight.

I"m 210 lbs ride solo and with the lighter springs on my 940 I only preload them 2 turns and if I wanted a cushy ride I would probably run them at 1/2 turn preload.
Progressive told me that the springs the 940's come with should be good for 145 on up lol. I am from a sport bike background and have always set sag on my bikes and with the 940s it was impossible to set sag as they are too stiff. The directions tell you to set sag at 2" from full extension which is impossible I am guessing unless you weigh a ton. I called progressive tech services and they told me that was wrong and that 1/2-3/4" should be fine yet the instruction still say 2" of sag lol. I was able to set the sag on my standard 13" 440's so they may seem like the same shocksinternally but even with the same spring rate they are not compressing the same. I have been a Progressive fan for many years but the 940's seem lacking which makes me wonder if that is why they are coming out with the 944's so quickly after introducing the 940's.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The 3/4 inch of sag is from the softest position. I talked to the reps a few times and because the 940's have a 1 inch drop automatically it kinda clouds the sag issue.

So the 2 inches they are referring to in the above post is the one in drop that is automatic and one inch of sag which would give you 2 inches from full extension.

An easier way to do it is as I was told by progressive is to FORGET THE FULL EXTENSION MEASUREMENT!

The reason we measure from full extension is so we know the total length of vertical travel the shock has. We already know the RG has approx. 3 inches. Ideally Sag should be 1/3rd of your total range of motion or no more than 1 inch in our case.

Measure the bike with just the bikes weight on the springs. This is your 1st measurement. Then measure with you on the bike or loaded with passenger as you will be riding. The second measurement should read 3/4 -1 inch less than the 1st. You can either measure from the ground or from the axle. I found it easy to measure from the top of the swing arm at the as close to the axle as possible and the bottom of the chrome rails on the fender. You can take a piece of paper and tap it parallel to the top of the swing arm to give you a very accurate reading.

You should aim for the same amount of sag regardless of the load you are carrying. If a heavy load you will need to dial in some more pre-load to lessen the sag and if too light like me you need to decrease the pre-load to increase the sag.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Full extension is measured with rear wheel in air and i do not get the one inch drop let alone a total if two. I agree it is supposed to be a third of the real travel so progressive needs to change their instructions. I spent lots of time on their techline and had a tough time convincing them i had zero sag on no preload

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So went for a ride..all I can say is WOW.

I really cannot put into words the improvement in the bike. I wouldnt even classify it as a ride difference, its a riding difference. Power to the ground, stable around corners, deep dips on the highway (I 95 DC area) just incredible. And after the great input of the posters above, I am sure I can get it better...I sort of winged it for the sag since I was on my own...followed the manu info, but it didnt make too much sense to me... I didnt measure it from the ground, but went off the shock shaft travel

I raised the bike with my jack until full extension, placed a zip tie at the very top of the shaft against the shock body, made sure the buffer/foam bumper was seated at the very bottom of the shaft, then took the bike off the jack and sat on it; then adjusted the sag until the zip tie ended up being almost halfway down the travel of the shaft from the top to the bumper...I think it served the same purpose as the poster above, but I'll still tinker some!!

Will try to fine tune this weekend....I CAN feel the front end more...I did a ton of reading on these and the feedback from posters, but none of them really did justice to the difference in how it really rides...

More to follow...Thanks to all for your feedback!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts