Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a shock that handles better during spirited rides with bumps, dips, irregularities in the road, and provides a confident feeling riding through twisties. It shouldn't bottom out when I hit potholes, and it should rebound quickly in that situation - no pogo stick effect. I like a firm but compliant feel on the road, not to be confused with stiff and harsh. The shocks also need to treat my passenger well. I weigh 190 lbs, with variances +/- 3 lbs. My wife is about 150. I ride solo about 80% of the time.

I've already ordered the Progressive monotube kit for the front suspension. If you answer these questions, it would help me decide if 944's are a good choice for me. I want to have the suspension squared away before taking a 5 day trip down Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to Deals Gap in May. Thanks...

What is your ride?

Which 944 shock did you buy, standard or heavy duty?

How much do you weigh?

How much solo vs 2 up riding do you do?

What kind of riding do you do?

Did you lower? How much?

What do you like, and not like about these shocks?

·
Super Moderator
12,349 Posts
Have you ever considered JRIs instead? Much better quality shock, around the same price with forum discount.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you ever considered JRIs instead? Much better quality shock, around the same price with forum discount.

Sent from my SPH-L710
I've looked at JRI's ($812 and higher) and Ohlin S36E ($555) and S36DR1L's ($818). They seem quite impressive, but both are pretty expensive compared to the Progressive 944's which I can get for $520. So will the Progressives be good enough? Do they work well with the monotubes?

I don't have to have the very best shock, just something that will do well over with most of what I mentioned above. It seems that the Progressives are all about getting the sag set right. I'm 190 lbs, so I'm hoping that's not too light at the lowest setting, which was a few of the complaints about 944's I read on this forum. Appreciate any and all feedback.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I've looked at JRI's ($812 and higher) and Ohlin S36E ($555) and S36DR1L's ($818). They seem quite impressive, but both are pretty expensive compared to the Progressive 944's which I can get for $520. So will the Progressives be good enough? Do they work well with the monotubes?

I don't have to have the very best shock, just something that will do well over with most of what I mentioned above. It seems that the Progressives are all about getting the sag set right. I'm 190 lbs, so I'm hoping that's not too light at the lowest setting, which was a few of the complaints about 944's I read on this forum. Appreciate any and all feedback.
Was that jri price befor or after forum rebate ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had the 944's and found them to be pretty harsh, I think they are more of a race/canyon carver set up. I then rode a buddy's SG with Progressive 444's on it and I couldn't believe the difference!! I sold my 944's and bought the 444's and had money left over!!

Both sets had HD spring sets, I ride 2 up about 50% of the time and I wiegh 230, when we are 2 up the weight is 380. I ride solo with the shocks on the lowest setting and 2 up between the first and second setting.

I've also heard good things about the CVO gas shocks that Harley uses?

Another thing to remember about these "personalized" shocks is that you are limiting your market if you decide to ever sell them.

Your best bet is to try and find others with different set ups that will let you try theirs.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
967 Posts
That's the best advice will be great if can try different setup. Good luck finding options on ride test. Am running monotube and 940 bit tight but fits my riding needs most 2 up bags and trunk loads. Prefer tighter suspension.
Potholes may bottom out but rides through better thank stocks.
Spring rates can also be changed by Progressive.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the 944's and found them to be pretty harsh, I think they are more of a race/canyon carver set up. I then rode a buddy's SG with Progressive 444's on it and I couldn't believe the difference!! I sold my 944's and bought the 444's and had money left over!!

It's hard to figure out the difference between the 444 and the 944 based on Progressive's website. Both have hand adjustable pre-load, progressive rate main springs and the FST valving technology. Could be the rates applied to each. They say that the 944 is made specifically for touring bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I run the 944 ultra's and am very happy with them! Yes they are a little stiff but it works for me since I like to be aggressive in turns. BTW, I ride 100% alone.

I also like to ride aggressive in corners. I really like confidence inspired turns from a slightly lowered stance and progressively firmer rates in the springs. Firm I like, but there's a fine line between firm and harsh. I'm actually expecting handling through curves to be the biggest area of improvement, since the air shocks are rather poor in that department. Then I would hope that it could be reasonably soft for my wife on the back. Being too harsh is what concerns me the most. Having a hard time spending any more than $520 just for rear shocks.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I also like to ride aggressive in corners. I really like confidence inspired turns from a slightly lowered stance and progressively firmer rates in the springs. Firm I like, but there's a fine line between firm and harsh. I'm actually expecting handling through curves to be the biggest area of improvement, since the air shocks are rather poor in that department. Then I would hope that it could be reasonably soft for my wife on the back. Being too harsh is what concerns me the most. Having a hard time spending any more than $520 just for rear shocks.

IMO I think they will work out perfect for two up! Besides if for some reason your wife doesn't like them, you would have no problem selling them on the forum :)
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I run stock shocks and have no knowledge of Ohlins or JRI's except from what I hear. They are great shocks BUT I do know a guy with Ohlins that had to have them rebuilt kind of early on, like maybe 14k miles:eek:. I know for what he paid for em he wasn't a happy camper. If you notice on their website they do say though they are performance shocks and will need to be rebuilt from time to time.

·
Registered
715 Posts
21,000 miles on my 944's and they work very well. I weigh 195, but carry about 50 pounds of tools in my bags. My bike is a 2011 RGU and I only ride single. I have the monotubes set at -2 inches.

Bike rides like on rails. A little harsh on bad bumps, but worth it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate the responses. This has been a difficult decision, but I think I'm going to try the monotubes at 1" lower in the front, and 944's in the rear. There's enough evidence here that they're liked by quite a few, and I really liked Progressive shocks on 2 previous rides I've owned (of course that was 10 and 12 years ago). I hope they're more of a good thing now. If not, I'll put them up for sale and try Ohlins or JRI. I'll let you know how it turns out after a good amount of ride time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I run stock shocks and have no knowledge of Ohlins or JRI's except from what I hear. They are great shocks BUT I do know a guy with Ohlins that had to have them rebuilt kind of early on, like maybe 14k miles:eek:. I know for what he paid for em he wasn't a happy camper. If you notice on their website they do say though they are performance shocks and will need to be rebuilt from time to time.
Thanks for providing this angle. The prospect of rebuilding a set of shocks that costed me northward of $600 does not sit well with me. I'm having a hard enough time springing $520 for rear shocks, which cost $160 more than the 4 Bilstein 5100 adjustable gas shocks on my 4Runner.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
I'm 5-10 and 195 lbs. with a 2012 Roadglide Custom and I ride solo 100 % of the time. Everyone has their own preferences when dealing with suspension. Here's mine.
I have the Progressive 944-4002UT Non Heavy Duty Rear Shocks with the Progressive Mono Tubes up front set at -1 and my 2012 Roadglide Custom feels like it's on rails also.
If you decide to go this route search around and you will find some good prices.
Direct Cycle Parts are a great place to look.
You can contact them at 1-800-745-6830 ask for Frank. He's a great guy I've dealt with him a few times in the past.
Mention Roadglide.org. I believe they may be a sponsor.
Hope this helps.
Mike U.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mike, this is very encouraging, since we're about the same size, and you've lowered the front 1" which I'm planning to do as well. I appreciate the tip for the purchase, but my order has already been placed. Thanks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Word of caution when if you buy the Progressives from Amazon.. I purchased a set of 944's from Amazon on March 2nd and still have not received them.. A little bit of info on the order: Ordered 3/2/14 - Received shipping acknowledgment on 3/6/14 stating they shipped but no tracking info provided. On 3/12/14 I received an e-mail asking me to fill out feedback. I replied to the e-mail stating that I haven't even received the shocks yet. 3/13/14 - They replied apologizing for the delay & that the shipment was lost in transit but even they couldn't track it since they didn't have a tracking number (Seems fishy to me). A few more e-mails asking when to expect shipment of the second set, still haven't received a shipping acknowledgment. The seller is the one that has them on Amazon for $508.15 plus $10.83 shipping.. I just thank God that it's not riding season for me yet...

Either way, I wish you the best of luck in your shock shopping and hope you get a set your happy with!!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Word of caution when if you buy the Progressives from Amazon.. I purchased a set of 944's from Amazon on March 2nd and still have not received them.. A little bit of info on the order: Ordered 3/2/14 - Received shipping acknowledgment on 3/6/14 stating they shipped but no tracking info provided. On 3/12/14 I received an e-mail asking me to fill out feedback. I replied to the e-mail stating that I haven't even received the shocks yet. 3/13/14 - They replied apologizing for the delay & that the shipment was lost in transit but even they couldn't track it since they didn't have a tracking number (Seems fishy to me). A few more e-mails asking when to expect shipment of the second set, still haven't received a shipping acknowledgment. The seller is the one that has them on Amazon for $508.15 plus $10.83 shipping.. I just thank God that it's not riding season for me yet...

Either way, I wish you the best of luck in your shock shopping and hope you get a set your happy with!!
What company on Amazon did you use , or was it actually Amazon them selves. I had similar happen to me , I bought a seat from Motorsports Super store through Amazon. Evey thing worked out well in the end tho. It just took a little longer.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Mike, this is very encouraging, since we're about the same size, and you've lowered the front 1" which I'm planning to do as well. I appreciate the tip for the purchase, but my order has already been placed. Thanks.

You're welcome McGruder.
Sorry I didn't read your original post sooner.
One other thing I did after lowering my Glide one inch was to put on a Pingel Lowered Kickstand #62252. I bought it from Amazon for $188.53 from Powersport Superstore.
I called Pingel prior to ordering it and they told me that it was fine to use the 2 inch lowered kickstand even tho I only lowered my bike 1 inch.
I feel more comfortable with the way the bike leans over now with the Lowered Kickstand.
Mike U.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts