Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not seen any feedback on these, has anyone been running the 970's? i have read some excellent things about them elsewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
So how long before the first "these are crap, buy JRI's" post???

I don't know about the 970's but I love my 444's, I think Progressive makes great products!!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I just got my 970's. I'm installing them tomorrow. I've never swapped out my stock suspension so I can only compare to what I know. I'll be riding up to the No. Cal Anti-Shark week meet in a few days. I'll probably do 1000+ miles in a few days. Should give me a chance to play with the suspension and dial it in.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have over 40k miles on progressive 970's on the streetbob and they are EXCELLENT on that bike... :D

·
Banned
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I don't know about the 970's but I love my 444's, I think Progressive makes great products!!

I'd give it at least a couple days.... It's sunday.... the trolls were out late last night and there in church today I would imagine! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

I bought my 970's because my best friend is a mechanic at the HD Dealership. Progressive used him to install the shocks for a step-by-step picture tutorial in a major motorcycle magazine. As a result, my friend got a great deal on a set and installed them on his bike. He raves about them. I'm installing mine in the next couple of hours.

BTW, I shopped around. The best deal is through Phat Performance Parts.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
I bought my 970's because my best friend is a mechanic at the HD Dealership. Progressive used him to install the shocks for a step-by-step picture tutorial in a major motorcycle magazine. As a result, my friend got a great deal on a set and installed them on his bike. He raves about them. I'm installing mine in the next couple of hours.

BTW, I shopped around. The best deal is through Phat Performance Parts.

Where will you mount the reservoir ? Pictures when your finished please.

·
Registered
353 Posts
$899 is a pretty good deal. Like to see how these compare to the similar Ohlins set up.

·
Registered
412 Posts
$899 is a pretty good deal. Like to see how these compare to the similar Ohlins set up.
Unfortunately you'll never get an unbiased opinion on this. Anyone who's drank the coolaid and spent the extra money on Olin's or JBI's isn't about to tell you that their amazing, super cool, better than anything else ever built shocks are not better than anything put out by anybody ever!!!

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
You can't fix stupid , and I'd love you to tell me to my face I drank the cool aid , better check your dental plan first , you guys are all correct , I'll tell you what you want to hear , Progressive is the best shock out there , last week when I was at the races all the guys were pulling their Ohlins , Fox and JRi off their bikes and installing Progressives they are so good , No seriously why doesn't any race teams use them if they are the best shock out there , it's simple Progressive doesn't want to make the best shock because volume sales doesn't come from being the best and being more expensive , volume sales come from making middle of the road products at certain prices points , more Chevys are sold than Roll Royces but I suppose they are the same too

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I guess church let out. Lol

In the end if you spent your money and you are happy with the result that's all that matters right?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I guess church let out. Lol

In the end if you spent your money and you are happy with the result that's all that matters right?
Correct , as long as you are happy , I just find it comical that no one using Ohlins or JRi that has used Progressive in the past have slammed Progressive and said they were junk , all they've said is there are better products out there , however guys who have never used anything but Progressive seem to want to try and slam guys for wanting better , buy what you want it doesn't effect my ride

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Correct , as long as you are happy , I just find it comical that no one using Ohlins or JRi that has used Progressive in the past have slammed Progressive and said they were junk , all they've said is there are better products out there , however guys who have never used anything but Progressive seem to want to try and slam guys for wanting better , buy what you want it doesn't effect my ride

Be fair that isn't true. There have been several forum members who, after seeing internal views of both shocks side by side, have done exactly that. Called Progressive junk. There have been jabs taken on both sides of the line. What I will say is that every time a thread pops up on the forum about progressive, the JRI guys flame it. This includes on the actual area that progressive pays for. This is no different than when guys bash JM Corp in his area. The mods close those threads quickly. Nobody died and made me the fair play police, I'm just sayin.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Where will you mount the reservoir ? Pictures when your finished please.
I put them on today. Rode about 150 miles with my wife. A huge improvement over the stock suspension (CVO adjustable shocks). The ride was smooth and I glided over the bumps. My wife usually complains when I ride over train tracks but no issues any more. It's the difference between a truck and a Cadillac. I'm not comparing to any other brand. I'm happy with what I have and that's all I care about.

BTW Gary, they look much better in person than in the photo. I caught some folks looking at them when we stopped for lunch. The install is easy and took about 30 minutes total.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
I put them on today. Rode about 150 miles with my wife. A huge improvement over the stock suspension (CVO adjustable shocks). The ride was smooth and I glided over the bumps. My wife usually complains when I ride over train tracks but no issues any more. It's the difference between a truck and a Cadillac. I'm not comparing to any other brand. I'm happy with what I have and that's all I care about.

BTW Gary, they look much better in person than in the photo. I caught some folks looking at them when we stopped for lunch. The install is easy and took about 30 minutes total.

Looks good. I wonder if the heat off the exhaust will affect the reservoir on an all day ride ?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Looks good. I wonder if the heat off the exhaust will affect the reservoir on an all day ride ?
It was 90 degrees today and I had no issues after 150 miles. It's not my nature to worry about stuff like that but if there's a problem I'll deal with it.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I am sure the 970 is an excellent shock. However I am not a fan of the reservoir but that is me! Someone mentioned price and he was right. Progressive has found a good price range and is probably doing very well with it. For me I can't see spending $900 plus for shocks, but to each there own IMO. It's like anything else in life, if you can afford it, then why not?

We really should be pissed at MOCO for putting inferior suspension on a 24k motorcycle to be honest. Sad to say there is much better suspension on other motorcycles in that price range. And it's no wonder Victory and the newer Indian is stealing a piece of HD's pie. All in all I still love my RG. It is what it is!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm wondering if the res can be mounted in a different fashion. Either on rear bag support or like Frankie B did with his Ohlins. The only thing I'm not liking about the 970 is the res mount location

1 - 20 of 59 Posts