Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching, I notice many have installed the Progressive Mono Tubes in the front, but was curious if anyone has / had the "Drop In" fronts -1" #10-2003 @ MSRP of $129.95.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So nobody has an opinion on Progressive's Drop-In vs. Monotube?:confused:

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is only a lowering kit. None of the valving or spring rate is inproved. I would almost say the ride will look cool being lowered but will ride harsher.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shows a progressive rate spring and 'soft' helper spring, plus PVC spacer. Gotta be better than stock spring.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Installed the drop ins on the wifes 06 EG. Lowered it 1". I would describe the ride as firm but not harsh. I actually prefer the ride over the stock set-up. She complained about the ride at first but has seemed to have gotten use to it. Her biggest complaint has been handling in the curves. However I have ridden it and it feels really good to me. I've had no experience with the mono-tube. I'm planning on lowering the RG this winter do to the 21"er up front, so I'm asking the same comparison questions. Price is definitely a factor. I've been thinking about sending her seat to Mean City to have it lowered and going back to the stock springs and putting her drop-ins in the RG.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I ran it in the last bike , it rode better than stock , changed it over to monotubes when they were released and I liked the monotubes much better , firmer , better handling

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've purchased my drop in kit but have not installed it yet. I was waiting to get new wheels before I put them in.

I may go ahead and install them anyway because I like the look with the bike a front end a little lower. Especially since I have lower shocks in the back.

I've heard that they are better than stock, but definitely not as good as the monotubes. But that's what I've heard, not based on any experience....

·
Registered
614 Posts
Im not a big fan of the "Drop In "system. In reality it is just a controlled spring sag to lower the overall lenght of the suspension. A lot of the guys on the Softail sites were using them but when i lowered my fatboy i choose to go with the traditional way by adding the 2" spacer spring at the bottom of the damper to limit the fork extention instaed of using the Drop in springs. Whai i have found is the Drop In set up makes a more spongy front end then doing it the traditional way because you can not preload for riders weight correctly, the more you preload (longer spacer) the less drop you have (forks extend).

I think the best way to lower it and improve the handling is the monotubes

·
Registered
31 Posts
Progressive mono tube

the ride over stock and even the progressive lower spring kit can not be compared. the ride is way better and handling is also significantly improved. the stock suspension is horrible, period. Oil bath technology from the 50's

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have the cartridges and lowered the front two inches. Also, i installed the Progressive 941 rear shorter shocks and the bike corners great. With the two inches in the front it does ride a lot firmer, but I like that. I have a 2011 RGU and the stock set up was a little tall for my 30 inch inseam and this with the Mean City Cycles seat lowering by an inch and back an inch and a half now has me dialed in for comfort. With the seat mod I had to install Heritage bars to be able to reach the grips, well worth the money to achieve comfort. Just a note, if you lower the bike like I did the floor board extensions do not work. I tried them and rubbed too much in the corners. I should have realized that before I installed the extensions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just did the Progressive Drop in kit today,
Dropped the front two inches, if you want less then I would start with a 1" spacer. (I have no spacer)
The instructions are ok but the drop height vs spacer info is lacking.
I will ride the bike and see how I like it.

I also put progressive 412 12" (Stock 12.75" 2011 RG ultra) shocks on the back.

So lowered the back 1" and the front 2"

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I used the progressive drop-in to lower bike 1" and progressive 440s to lower rear 1". I can tell you it isn't Cadillac soft. When you hit one of them highway buckles - your teeth are going to get jarred. The wife thinks it's so harsh that she complains it hurts her back when hitting the smallest highway cracks. I think the reduced amount of shock travel, on both the front and back, are the main reason for the jarring hits. Other than that it rides and handles well. The main reason I lowered was to suit my 5'-9" height. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just did the Progressive Drop in kit today,
Dropped the front two inches, if you want less then I would start with a 1" spacer. (I have no spacer)
The instructions are ok but the drop height vs spacer info is lacking.
I will ride the bike and see how I like it.

I also put progressive 412 12" (Stock 12.75" 2011 RG ultra) shocks on the back.

So lowered the back 1" and the front 2"
I wonder how you got the front to drop 2 inches, I only got one inch and I didn't use the PVC spacer.... Post pics if you can. Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just installed the new Harley lowering springs that drop the front 1" and really like it. It's the same as the Progressive Kit but supplies an additional spring in place of the PVC that comes with the Progressive kit. Have never used the progressive drop in so can't comment there, but I really like the Harley one.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I installed the drop-ins with heavy oil. Eliminated the dive that the stock springs have and rides, corners and handles better (for me). Of course with a lower spring you will sacrifice the float over large pot holes. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also used the heavy fork oil. I like the way it feels. So I can get a feel for where my bike sits can one of you take a couple measurments for me??? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
For a 2in drop, you have to use your stock top out springs AND the ones from the monotube kit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts