Road Glide banner

Progressive fork spring kit, Progressive monotube kit, Race Tech spring kit, or Pro-Action fork kit?

13K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Scout619 
#1 ·
Looking for some input on what provides the best value for a front end upgrade. I've got a 2011 Road Glide Ultra and am considering the following:
  1. Progressive Fork Spring Kit <$100 on Ebay
  2. Progressive Monotube Kit - $355 on Ebay
  3. Race Tech front springs - $150
  4. Pro-Action Fork Kit - $325
Which one of these do you feel is the best value solution? Is there an option I'm missing? I ride mostly solo, 50/50 highway and hill country back roads. I'm not into carving corners and dragging floorboards. I just want the bike to feel planted and stable.

#2 ·
Why are you wanting to change springs? Are yours worn out? Not the right spring rate for your weight?
Whichever you choose, make sure it is the right spring rate for you.
Is the static sag too much? If not, then maybe you just need to recondition the front end with new seals and bushings and new fork oil. If the front end feels too soft a heavier weight oil may be needed, to hard, a refresh might take care of it, or a lighter weight oil.

#5 ·
Why are you wanting to change springs? Are yours worn out? Not the right spring rate for your weight?
Whichever you choose, make sure it is the right spring rate for you.
Is the static sag too much? If not, then maybe you just need to recondition the front end with new seals and bushings and new fork oil. If the front end feels too soft a heavier weight oil may be needed, to hard, a refresh might take care of it, or a lighter weight oil.
Great questions, and I'm afraid I may be to ignorant to answer. I would say so far the bike feels fine trucking down the highway. On turns however, when I trail brake to slow, the front end doesn't feel great. Maybe it's diving too much? I weight 205 without gear on. I'll get some more miles in with the bike to better describe what I'd like to see different.

#7 ·
twowheeladdict, thanks for the advice. I'll check the static sag as soon as I get a few additional hands. My trailbraking is purely safety based, not necessarily because I'm trying to take corners at max speed. I like having a very light drag on the front brake so I can ease a bit of speed off if the turn surprises me or I encounter something that requires me to slow down quickly.

The bike has just over 9k miles and my guess is the front end has never been serviced. Getting caught up on recommended maintenance is my first task for the bike.

#8 ·
The new Progressive mono tube kit only comes with one leg replacement . The old kit gave you both legs. So for that I would look elsewhere.

#10 ·
I can offer an opinion on 2 of your options that I have personally used. I added the Progressive Monotube kit to my 2001 Road King and I currently have the Progressive Fork Springs in my 2017 RGS.

I ride similar to you. Mostly solo but unfortunately I do not get 50/50 back roads on Long Island. Whenever I get a chance on those roads, I will try to scrape my floorboards as much as possible, especially on our annual trip to the Tail area.

Both options were a vast improvement over stock in handling and comfort. While $355 is a great price for the mono kit, I consider the $110 I spent on the progressive rate spring to be the best bang for the buck investment I ever made. I have zero technical knowledge in this area, but it just seems to me that "progressive rate springs" are the most logical thing ever invented. These springs take the little bumps much better than stock, handle the medium bumps the same as stock and then handle the bigger bumps better than stock. There is definitely noticeable less dive while braking and much more stability while cornering. The springs are longer and beefier than stock, but I do not notice any difference in the weight of the front end.

The only problem with these springs are since I liked them so much, I had to go buy "progressive rate spring shocks" for the rear, and they were quite a bit more expensive.

Good Luck with your decision. I hope this helps

#20 ·
I can offer an opinion on 2 of your options that I have personally used. I added the Progressive Monotube kit to my 2001 Road King and I currently have the Progressive Fork Springs in my 2017 RGS.

I ride similar to you. Mostly solo but unfortunately I do not get 50/50 back roads on Long Island. Whenever I get a chance on those roads, I will try to scrape my floorboards as much as possible, especially on our annual trip to the Tail area.

Both options were a vast improvement over stock in handling and comfort. While $355 is a great price for the mono kit, I consider the $110 I spent on the progressive rate spring to be the best bang for the buck investment I ever made. I have zero technical knowledge in this area, but it just seems to me that "progressive rate springs" are the most logical thing ever invented. These springs take the little bumps much better than stock, handle the medium bumps the same as stock and then handle the bigger bumps better than stock. There is definitely noticeable less dive while braking and much more stability while cornering. The springs are longer and beefier than stock, but I do not notice any difference in the weight of the front end.

The only problem with these springs are since I liked them so much, I had to go buy "progressive rate spring shocks" for the rear, and they were quite a bit more expensive.

Good Luck with your decision. I hope this helps
Thanks Ken. Perfect feedback, having done both. I'm going to give the progressive spring kit a shot after I've gotten all the basic maintenance up to date. Appreciate everyone's input.

#11 ·
I too am looking for 21 RG. You missed "Fox" - they have two options: $150 spring replacement and a more expnsive insert.

Interestingly - they move away from progressive to a single rate spring. Both options are avail in standard and heavy duty.

The real crime here....no way to test without buying. Makes the decision very difficult.

#12 ·
I have a friend that is a die hard pro action fan and pushes their product. He has installed dozens of the fork spring kits. He runs those with remote reservoirs on the rear. His dad and another friend seem to love them.

#13 ·
05train on here is also a big fan of them. My buddy that lives about 40 minutes from P.A. did front and rear on His '11 and loves them. One of these days I'll get my bikes over to them to have the from forks done. I have a set of Ohlins 159 on the back of my '15 Ultra and am running the shock 12 hand adjustable shocks on my '12 custom for now.

#17 ·
Best value for money is surely the fork kit; in the link below there is a picture showing the construction difference between stock and Progressive and it is huge.

#23 ·
The only front springs I have any experience with are the Progressive's. Had them installed on my 15 RGS.
After the bad install was fixed, I was extremely happy with them. No braking nose dive, and planted in the twisties.

Iam still on the stock front end on my 20 RGS, but its on the long list of the next purchase.

#24 ·
This has been a great thread. Love this site.

I have two questions that I will struggle to even ask intelligently - but, I won't let that stop me!:

1) At 85mph - 90mph my front end (bone stock 21 RG 107) starts to vibrate. While I know this could be caused by a number of conditions, the relative "newness" of the bike (and tires) leads me to believe this -

My speed is exceeding the forks ability to stay planted on the ground.

Is that a reasonable conclusion?

2) There seem to be two types of fork spring replacements out there....
- just springs (some progressive, some constant)
- springs + valving (like Pro Action)

Is it reasonable to conclude one is better than the other? Initial reaction was the Pro Action would be better due to the addition of the valving....but, other companies (fox, progressive, etc.) may have engineered their springs just fine with the stock harley valving.

Sorry for the clunky questions.

#26 ·
The stock harley damper is single stage.
The Pro Action is two stage.
Correct. PA's damper rod has two stages that manage to all but eliminate dive under braking, but still allow wheel travel over bumps. I don't have enough seat time on the '22 to see how their new "bending valve" damping does in comparison.

That said, the roads are much better quality down here, so it may not be an issue.

#27 ·
I know I'm a little late to the party but, +2 on the Pro Action Fork kit.
Just changed mine from stock after 60k miles. Easy install, hardest part was getting the front end torn apart enough to get the forks out.
Replaced bushings and seals and repacked the steering head bearings while I had it apart.
I've only got a couple hundred miles on them so far and (IMO) she feels better than she did new in 2017. Got on a clear road and did a 50mph "panic stop" just to see how they felt, fully controlled compression with out bottoming. Did not feel like the sudden dive of the stock springs (which would have bottomed out).
There are a few bone jarring bumps and bridge joints in my daily commute, you know the ones that make the whole bike shudder? Still felt the bumps but much less severe when compared to stock.

#28 ·
Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. I ended up buying a fork rebuild kit from JP Cycles for $78 and the progressive fork spring kit for $121 on Ebay. I changed out my lowers at the same time and eliminated my cowbells. I save money by doing the work myself. My favorite part of the project was using a roll of electrical tape on the fork tubes to drive the fork seals in. A pretty clever trick I found on YT. The At this point I'm satisfied with the upgrade, especially for the money. I also scored a set of Revo-A rear shocks for $650 on FB so suspension is complete. Below are updated photos.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

#29 ·
I just got my Pro Action Front Fork Kit in the mail last week. Have not yet installed it, but am passing on an observation... The dampening rods no longer have 2 sets of holes. It is now one set of holes near the bottom of rod and smooth rectangles cut out on sides. Not sure why the change or what the results will be.

I do wonder if using intiminators from Ricor/DK Customs would make this PA kit even better or if it would work at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.