Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Progressive monotubes and 26" wheel

I have a 26" wheel with a wrap fender on my 2013 RGC.
There is only 3" from the fender to the bottom of the triple tree.
When I hit a big bump the fender hits the tree.

How did you guys limit the travel when using monotubes?
Do I just add more clips or put a rubber bumper on the sliders?

Using the Kewl Metal 40 degree rake kit

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can use the monotubes, just don't use the top bolt or it will hit the neck and limit turning radius.
Kewl pinches the tube itself so the top bolt isn't needed.

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
You can use the monotubes, just don't use the top bolt or it will hit the neck and limit turning radius.

Kewl pinches the tube itself so the top bolt isn't needed.

The lower tree clamps the tube and the fork leg extension threads into the upper tree.....that's how it is on most aftermarket trees.

I only ask cuz not all manufactures fork leg extensions are threaded to accept the the "tip" of the monotubes once the cap is removed. I've never messed with the Kewl metal stuff but love to learn new stuff :D

But to answer your original question, an internal travel limiter is what's needed. You can go to the hardware store and get what you need or you can call Paul @ Native and he'll get you setup up with the material.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there instructions somewhere on what is needed and how to do it?
I can fabricate most things but need guidance on what to make and where to put it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been searching this site and it looks like some people have tried to put the stock spring on the bottom of the monotube in addition to the one that Progressive provides.

Has anyone actually tried it and does it work?

·
3,318 Posts
Are there instructions somewhere on what is needed and how to do it?
I can fabricate most things but need guidance on what to make and where to put it.
Remove front wheel/fender

Remove fork legs, remove internals, reinstall fork legs

Install axle (no wheel) to tie the two legs together and give you something to push on

Measure (fender mount to a fix object) this will give you your fully extended length

Push front end up (collapsed) measure the same two points again, this will give you your bottomed out measurement

Reinstall you front wheel and fender

Push front end up til your fender makes contact with lower tree/fairing and measure again

****numbers are just for reference only****
20" from point A-B extended
16" front point A-B collapsed
4" of total travel
If your fender hits your lower tree at 19" then you would need a 1" travel limiter, I always add 1/8"-3/16" just for safety sake :eek:

Cut your travel limiter to length

Remove wheel, fender, forks etc

Install travel limiters on the the dampening rod of the monotubes...DO BOTH SIDES

Reassemble fork legs

Reinstall fork legs into triple trees

Reinstall front wheel, brake fender etc

Enjoy riding worry free

That's a lot to type on my phone LOL but I thing you get the general idea

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I understand correctly, I need to add a 1" rubber bumper above the spring on the damper rod to change my 4-1/2" travel to 3-1/2".
If i do that, doesn't it also preload the top spring and shorten the overall length of the shock?

·
3,318 Posts
No what u want to do is limit how far the fork tube goes down into the fork slider.

My travel limiter has the bottoming cup on the inside diameter and the outside diameter is lager than the fork tube......

If that makes sense

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I will have to separate the slider from the tube to put the bumper at the very bottom?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I get it now, thanks again

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put in the rubber stops and all is good now.
1-1/2" stops have me set up perfect with 2 clips in my monotubes

:D

·
3,318 Posts
Good deal bud!!

1-1/2" travel limiters should give you roughly 2-1/2" of front suspension travel........apple to oranges being that your running the Kewl Metal setup and I'm cut but my travel limiters were 5/8". Just curious if your trees contact your fender or your fairing, if that makes any sense at all LOL

Basically if your trees were to make contact with your fender, is your fairing close to hitting the fender? What type of front fender are you running, wrap or FL

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went from 4-1/2" travel to just under 3"

My wrap fender was hitting the trees, plenty of room for the fairing because it was relocated with the Kewl Metal kit

1 - 19 of 19 Posts