Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read all the great reviews here and elsewhere but my review is completely opposite. Installed stock height. Stock front wheel. Bottoms out upon apron entry. Hard braking dives hard. Not that stable. Potholes- forget it !!! Anyway goin with traxxion dynamics

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Doesn't sound like its installed correctly. Just sayin. That shouldn't be happening.

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
Sounds like you got a defective kit, or maybe installed it improperly, no way should you have the problems you are, sounds worse than stock. :eek:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
There were some defective ones mentioned when I investigated it. I believe if you send them to progressive they will replace them.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Sounds like you got a defective kit, or maybe installed it improperly, no way should you have the problems you are, sounds worse than stock. :eek:
I agree. Mine don't even come close to acting the way you are describing. The nose on the bike should only go down a very little when the brakes are applied aggressively.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Gotta be either a defect, or improper installation. I suspect that if you contact the P-S tech folks. they will straighten it out.

Jeff

·
Registered
202 Posts
Got 'em on an '01 RG. Makes my '11 FLTRUSE suspension feel like a POS. Wait, it is!!

I be lovin' the mono-tubes. Can't think what could be wrong though. Have you gone back through all the torques?

Didn't forget to tighten the pinch bolts did you? I guess you'd be dead. Nevermind!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed a set of Progressive monotubes in my 98 RG and boy what and improvement over the old tired sloppy front suspension. Thought they were great, definitely improve the handling though The ride got a lot stiffer. I installed the two C clips per shock tube, planing to dismantle the front suspensions this winter to remove one set of the C clips (would really prefer more of a touring ride than a sport ride).

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
Mine is installed but bike is still in shop, will post results

·
Registered
129 Posts
Destroyer, i had the same problem, called progressive and they recommended adding another clip, due to my weight, trying that this weekend and going to a heavier oil 'harley gave my the standard oil' will let you know how it worked out...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The oil is for lubrication of moving parts. It will not affect the damping. That is done in the cartridge.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Destroyer, i had the same problem, called progressive and they recommended adding another clip, due to my weight, trying that this weekend and going to a heavier oil 'harley gave my the standard oil' will let you know how it worked out...
Hey GroundPounder, I'm about to install mine this weekend. Can you tell me how many clips you had to begin with? I'm thinking of starting with 2 myself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
THEMASTERDESTROYER just sold me his on sale board, I hope not defective, but know I don't want to go through install to find out they are defective,
Do you still have receipt from when you bought them, maybe I can see what progressive can do to test before install.
I feel burnt....

·
Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,122 Posts
I'm lovin mine - much more stable

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't want to admit this but when I first installed mine I did it wrong. I put the C clips above the lower spring and it lowered my bike 2-1/2". I didn't drive it cause I new I screwed up so I took it apart again and realized the C clips go above the Top spring. Put my first 40 miles on it Wednesday and it works great. No dive or bottoming out.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't want to admit this but when I first installed mine I did it wrong. I put the C clips above the lower spring and it lowered my bike 2-1/2". I didn't drive it cause I new I screwed up so I took it apart again and realized the C clips go above the Top spring. Put my first 40 miles on it Wednesday and it works great. No dive or bottoming out.
So did you do the lowering kit AND used c-clips? Just curious as I am getting ready to install mine as soon as my lowers come back from powder. Progressive tech said I "could" use 1 clip when lowering it 2 inches but I have not read of anyone using clips

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
THEMASTERDESTROYER just sold me his on sale board, I hope not defective, but know I don't want to go through install to find out they are defective,
Do you still have receipt from when you bought them, maybe I can see what progressive can do to test before install.
I feel burnt....
This kinda sucks, man. I hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So did you do the lowering kit AND used c-clips? Just curious as I am getting ready to install mine as soon as my lowers come back from powder. Progressive tech said I "could" use 1 clip when lowering it 2 inches but I have not read of anyone using clips
Yes - I bought the lowering kit which will allow you to lower your bike either 1" or 2" depending on which springs and/or C Clips you install. To lower the bike 1" you would install 1 spring on the bottom of the Mono Tube and 3 C clips above the Top spring of the Mono Tube. The picture in the instruction sheet looks like the C clips go over the same spring you install on the bottom. If you wanted to lower your bike 2" you would leave out all of the C clips and install both of the supplied lower springs. Be very careful not to decompress your shock assembly after removing stock upper spring as this will allow the "bottoming cup" to become dislocated from its proper placement. The new Mono Tube must sit in this cup/spacer in order to be installed properly.

So far I am happy with mine but I only have 40 miles on it. The weather may snap up next week for another ride. I am hopeful!

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts