Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get the standard monotube kit for my 2009 FLTR Road Glide. I can find the kits for a reasonable price the problem is the installation. I got quotes for like 500 bucks to install them. If anyone has a good step-by-step set of instructions and advice it would be greatly appreciated. Or better yet, if anyone lives in the DFW area that is familiar with the process, please contact me. I will have a fridge full of beer!:D

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
If you have a service manual, that along with the instructions makes it pretty easy. Also check You Tube, I believe there is something there. I wish I were in your area, I would love to help; I love my monotubes. :D

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Me and a friend took his forks off and to a dealer to install these spring. They charged 1/2hr plus fork oil. Came out to like $50 or so all together. They have all the tools which makes it much easier.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If your talking about progressive monotubes they don't require any special tools. To install like the hd kit does

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
+1 on Xaran comment. If it is just a drop in replacement then all you are really dealing with is the top of the shocks, its not like you have to take the legs apart and replace seals. Which I haven't put that much time into looking at it but however it takes to get at that top nut then take the nut off pull out the HD shocks and drop in your new stuff. Drain the oil from the bottom with the plug, put the plug back in, fill her back up with your choice of shock oil, replace the nut, put it all back together and ride. I think the majority of the time will be getting to the top nuts. Someone please correct me if I am wrong and making this look alot easier than it is. My local dealership quoted me $150 to do it and that is the cost of doing the service on the shocks anyways. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Those that have installed Progressive Monotubes: what fork oil did you use? I was thinking about using Ohlins 5w. Comments?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just use plain old fork oil. With the mono tubes, all the oil is, is a lubricant for the moving parts. The damping action takes place in the gas tubes.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Good question pargenz, I'd like to hear folk's answers.

If I understand it correctly, it really shouldn't matter as the oil's only there to lubricate the seals. I've got about half a quart of Race Tech 15w left over from another bike I'm hoping I can use.

-Jay

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts
Those that have installed Progressive Monotubes: what fork oil did you use? I was thinking about using Ohlins 5w. Comments?
I used the Harley fork oil, but as others have posted, I don't think it's that important since the oil is now used for a different purpose. BTW I wonder whatever happened with the OP.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
To clarify a couple of comments, the OP was asking about a Progressive Monotube catridge kit - those DO require a complete fork removal and disassembly. Progressive also has a drop-in spring kit, which is different. No fork removal or disassembly required for those - all you do for is drop in the new Progressive springs through the top cap.

The only other thing I can add is that there's a Progressive monotube kit in my near future! :D

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
I paid around $450 at a indy but I had more done then just the monotubes, I had the front and rear chrome wheels mounted and balanced which added another hour of labor to the bill and I had the chrome fork lowers and slider covers installed at the same time which really didn't add anything to the labor cost because the forks had to be taken apart anyways. That price also included new fork seals and fork oil. It did take around 4 hours to do the work, so shop around for a good price, by the way that would be the time to change to a chrome or powder coated fork lower.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Just to follow up on this: I've received my monotubes, but I haven't installed them yet. The instructions state:

'When installing Progressive Suspension Monotube Cartridge fork kit, only a small amount (5oz.) of 10wt. fork oil is required in each fork for lubricating the internal moving parts - the cartridge dampers are sealed. Changing the volume or the viscosity of the oil is not recommended and could cause damage and/or loss of control"

Again, I don't know why you couldn't use 5wt or even 15wt, but since the instructions say so specifically, I guess I'll buy a bottle of 10wt.

-Jay

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I just talked to a progressive tech on the phone. He told me that using 15w oil, since I already have it, will be fine. It's not doing any damping anyway, it's just for lubrication.

He also recommended 1 spacer for my weight (225#-ish). What do you all think about that? I'd prefer a 'firm' ride. I'd also prefer to do this only once, and not have to go in and adjust the amount of spacers.

Thanks. -Jay

·
Registered
318 Posts
I used 15w,and dropped 2".I weigh 215lb's. I hear you on just doing it once. I like the ride, firm but not harsh ..

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Thanks, homeboy. I'm hoping to get to the install this weekend. Just waiting for my chrome fork legs to show up.

What do you think on the spacers? How many did you use? I've got the standard height kit, so it may not translate, but more information is better.

Thanks! -Jay

·
Registered
372 Posts
I was told by a tech that I could use ONE c-clip when dropping mine with the monotube lowering it 2 inches. So far I have not read anything from any forum of someone using 1 clip with a 2 inch lower. I weigh 220. I am thinking this will make the ride really harsh.

JayKS, I would think 2 would suit since that seems to be a reoccurring number I read for standard and 1 inch drop. Maybe the tech thought you had the lowering kit like i do?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking Nozzleman. I got my install done this weekend and I used 2 clips. It was cold and rainy so I only got 3 or 4 mile's ride in, but I think it's right on. Good responsive action and very minimal brake drive.

Here're are a few pics.

Up on the PepsX stand:

Draining the forks:

Had to remove the handlebars and the gauge nacelles to get at the fork cap bolts:

The real bitch of this procedure is breaking loose the fork caps. If you have a fork tube holder you can clamp the tubes in while they are off the bike it'd be a piece of cake. I don't, so it wasn't. I loosened the pinch bolts and slid the tubes out of the upper tree, then tightened the pinch bolts back down. This way you can get at the fork caps, but since they're still inside the inner fairing, you can't get a wrench on them. My solution was to use a 7/8" crowfoot adapter (which $&%*ing Sears only sells in complete sets, for $50...but I digress):

I was a little frustrated at this point, so I didn't take as many pictures. The actual monotube installation itself is a piece of cake, and it's detailed pretty well in the instructions provided by Progressive.

Since I was also installing chrome lower sliders, I had to take mine completely apart, and reassemble with new fork seals. Here's my homemade fork seal driver:

I got both legs rebuilt, but had to quit for the day for an evening out on the town. Here's the messy end to day 1:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
So Sunday morning was an easy affair of reassembly. I installed new Arlen Ness Deep Cut cowbells. I was really surprised at the quality (lack of) of the stock cowbells. In fact, I'm embarrassed that this cheaply built POS was on my $23K motorcycle. Take a look:

I really expected to see the 'Milwaukee's Best' label on the inside, but they must've polished that out. :)

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Anyway, I slid both legs back in, got everything torqued down. Reinstalled the fender, wheel, handlebars and gauge nacelles.

Success!

Took it out for a 3 or 4 mile ride. Due to the rain and cold I didn't stay out any longer. So far, so great. I think I'll be glad I went with 2 clips. Front end feels firm but responsive and there's very minimal brake dive.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Looks good Jay. I think you will be happy with the handling and ride with your setup. I also used stock height Monotubes and 2 c clips, Im about 205-215 lbs and ride solo most of the time.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts