Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the Progressive Monotube kit lowered on a 2015/2016 RG ultra CVO?

I currently have a 2015 RGU CVO with Ohlins rear shocks, with lowering blocks and it still seems high to me(I am 5'9). On my 2012 RG I installed the progressive monotube and they seemed to improve the handling greatly.

I am just wondering...

1) Would installing the progressive lower the bike more.
2) Will installing help handling

I considered changing out seats but really like the stock seat comfort.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Yes and yes. Also put the 12" RGS premium's or some progressive 944 or Ohlins on the rear and ditch the blocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the bike lowered, handling won't be an issue, the bike will run out of clearance long before running out of grip. The monotube front is a very firm set up, be sure that is what you want before making the change. There are other ways to lower the bike while not compromising ride quality.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am not trying to hijack this thread but I am considering the Progressive monotubes for my 09 CVO Road Glide also....I seem to have a thud, thunk, bam coming from my front end when I encounter a bump, rut, hole, etc...had the dealer check it out on last service but said they saw no problem. I am running the HD adjustable shocks on the back now not the OEM air shocks and usually have them tightened down most of the way as I ride 2 up.
A buddy of mine said I might be able to change the oil in the front suspension, bike has 40000+ on it, oil does break down and put Screamin Eagle oil in it and see if that helps or look into the monotubes.
Am I running the rear shocks too tight and its translating that to the front end?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I put Monotubes in my 09 RGS. It was a huge improvement. You could also ditch those air shocks for the new HD premium 13" shocks. It would be a noticeable improvement without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Like feature is not working

With the bike lowered, handling won't be an issue, the bike will run out of clearance long before running out of grip. The monotube front is a very firm set up, be sure that is what you want before making the change. There are other ways to lower the bike while not compromising ride quality.
Like feature is not working SO LIKE (sorry, thought this post is noteworthy) My 2 cents

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Can you enlighten us newbies on other methods of lowering Rushmore? That seems the reason for the OP. I'm sure I'm not the only short guy with a Rushmore. :)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Another option is the stock innards from a limited low, It is a cartridge setup......maybe go to a dealer and see how it fits you? Or you can do the progressive monotube..I say monotube cause for the rushmores, its only one "tube"...

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/product/1507/fork-monotube-kit-touring-w-fst

IMO, look at the Legend lowered..rave reviews..they are dual cartridge...0414-0495

or you could finish off the front with Ohlin also...not sure if they sell lowered, but ask Smarty...he will know everything Ohlin

I went with the progressive, along with rear HD premium shocks and its a whole new ballgame!!!..Actually I wish the front was firmer..but Im fat, so that could be the issue...

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
So I emailed Legend and they called me back the next day. Very cool. I was inquiring about the axeo cartridges. They said the standard height sit about 3/4" lower than stock. Just a heads up. Also you could probably get ohlins for not much more than the legends. Both atleast double the cost of progressive. Just keep in mind this is a costly decision if you cheapout and have to change again. Especially if you pay someone else to do it.
I just put supershox on the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ohlins FKC-101/2

While the Ohlins 25mm drop in kit is undoubtedly the best cartridges out there at a price point a bit north of $600 for just the cartridges + the price of the springs to fit the owner target weight for their application. The Ohlins 25mm non adjustable cartridge is fully adjustable by changing the shim packs and oil level to tune to your desired riding results. I re-Valve everyone of my customers cartridges for that customer, I know of no one who does that. Different springs choices are available for your application. The price is comparable with the Axio shown online using Google. I also make an Ohlins NIX 30mm cartridge kit that several members on this form have. The NIX 30 has no equal if having the by far best suspension there is available interests you.

The Axio cartridges are a sealed cartridge with a separator piston much like the Progressive 944 has. Unless you have the tools that may be offered by the factory or have the factory tune the valving for that customer than if you could believe that a 110 pound girl and a 300 pound guy can use the same valving and spring I do have a Bridge for sale in Brooklyn.

The OP asked about Progressive Monotube kit lowered. There are many posts on this subject and the reading information is endless. If you were to only do this modification to lower the bike than consider this, the only way to lower a bike is to reduce the stroke adversely impedes the ability to deliver a compliant ride. I am unsure why you installed lowering blocks in place of purchasing the correct length shocks for your application in the beginning?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts