Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in the process of installing the lowered mono tubes. Going 2 in lower . Not sure if i should install any preload spacers. Anyone with experience with these your input will be greatly apreciated btw i weigh 220 and mostly ride solo.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Well...........when I installed the monotubes in my '11 RGU I had intended to do the 1" lower install. However, as I did the install I found that I only had 5 of the c-clips in the package.
The instructions said use all 6 C-clips for 1" lower, and none of them for 2" lower, so I figured I be pretty safe with using only 4 of the clips. What I ended up with was forks that were lowered MORE than 2"?? WTF??

Anyway, that said, turns out that while the front is lower than intended I'm quite happy with the way it works. Even being considerably north of your 220lbs, and riding 2-up most of the time, I've yet to bottom it out, and even though it LOOKS very close to smashing the fender, I don't have a dented fender yet.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The instructions say for a two inch drop to use NO spacers and BOTH bottom springs (long and short). I went with a 1 in drop ... 3 spacers per tube and only one (long) spring. I kind of wish I had went with a 2 in drop though.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Phil, why do you wish you would have done a 2 inch drop? I put on 940's this spring and so I'm thinking of doing a 1 inch drop to match. I'm just collecting input to try and do this right the first time.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Ive talked with Progressive a couple times about this, and they said that the recommended instructions are based on a 220 lb rider.

* - If lowering the fork 1” inch, install one of the long top-out springs on
the Progressive Suspension Monotube cartridge assembly as shown
(see figure 1) AND three of the supplied “C” shaped preload spacers
between the top of the fork spring and the upper spring seat .

* - If lowering the fork 2” inches, install one long top-out spring AND
one short top-out spring on the Progressive Suspension Monotube
cartridge assembly as shown – and install NO pre-load spacers.

Spacer length ("C" shaped pre-load spacers) can be decreased to lower the ride height and soften the ride or increased to raise the ride height and

Im thinking if you weigh more than 220, you can add a "C" spacer to both short and long top out springs so you will have a 2" drop, but will be stiffer for your weight, and if you weigh less than 220, you can have a 2" drop if you use one of the top out springs, and only 2 clips.

I think I will call Progressive one more time before i install mine.
i weigh about 165, and ride mostly solo, and not sure if I will be getting a 21" Front wheel any time soon, which is really why you would drop it the Full 2" in front, but it does look awesome when the fairing is slammed over the front fender.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Phil, why do you wish you would have done a 2 inch drop? I put on 940's this spring and so I'm thinking of doing a 1 inch drop to match. I'm just collecting input to try and do this right the first time.
Looks mostly - I agree with DED. To me, the closer the fairing to the fender, the better the front end looks. I went conservative with the 1 in. drop to avoid any type of clearance issues but I've realized plenty of people have gone 2 inches with no problems at all. One of these days when I have an afternoon to kill ... :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used 1 long spring and 3 clips per side and had 1.5'' drop.I'm very happy with it. Bike is much improved in handling,I may save on brakes it corners so much better,rides better, just feels more planted. I may change my 12'' air shocks to 11.5'' proggessive 412s.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Ive talked with Progressive a couple times about this, and they said that the recommended instructions are based on a 220 lb rider.

* - If lowering the fork 1” inch, install one of the long top-out springs on
the Progressive Suspension Monotube cartridge assembly as shown
(see figure 1) AND three of the supplied “C” shaped preload spacers
between the top of the fork spring and the upper spring seat .

* - If lowering the fork 2” inches, install one long top-out spring AND
one short top-out spring on the Progressive Suspension Monotube
cartridge assembly as shown – and install NO pre-load spacers.

Spacer length ("C" shaped pre-load spacers) can be decreased to lower the ride height and soften the ride or increased to raise the ride height and

Im thinking if you weigh more than 220, you can add a "C" spacer to both short and long top out springs so you will have a 2" drop, but will be stiffer for your weight, and if you weigh less than 220, you can have a 2" drop if you use one of the top out springs, and only 2 clips.

I think I will call Progressive one more time before i install mine.
i weigh about 165, and ride mostly solo, and not sure if I will be getting a 21" Front wheel any time soon, which is really why you would drop it the Full 2" in front, but it does look awesome when the fairing is slammed over the front fender.
Good to know Billy. I bought mine from a forum member and I'm not sure it was installed right by a independent shop here. I was having something else done at the time and didn't really have time to do it myself. Wished I had though. Anyway, I think I'm gonna pull it out myself and check everything since I don't think its right. Very harsh at times and everyone thinks it should ride better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts