Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda of a dumb question but better safe than sorry. I've got a 21 on the front and I'm about to put on black lowers and cowbells and decided while I'm at it i want to lower the front 2" and upgrade suspension. My question is are all the progressive Monotube kits the same and you set your desired height or do you order them height specific? Just wanted to make sure before I order.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
There are only two versions of Progressive Monotubes for touring bikes - lowered and non lowered (stock height). The lowered version allows a drop from 1 to 2 inches. All you have to do is make sure you get the lowered version.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Kinda of a dumb question but better safe than sorry. I've got a 21 on the front and I'm about to put on black lowers and cowbells and decided while I'm at it i want to lower the front 2" and upgrade suspension. My question is are all the progressive Monotube kits the same and you set your desired height or do you order them height specific? Just wanted to make sure before I order.
To get a 2 inch drop you will need to use your stock top out spring along with the top out spring that comes with the kit.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

·
Shark of the Month October 13
8,063 Posts
If you shop around you can find then for $259 -270. plus installation. Try Eastern Performance, they were very competitive when I was looking. You won't regret it. I did the 1" drop and am very happy with it. The 2" is a bit too stiff for my tastes (and the New England roads).

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you shop around you can find then for $259 -270. plus installation. Try Eastern Performance, they were very competitive when I was looking. You won't regret it. I did the 1" drop and am very happy with it. The 2" is a bit too stiff for my tastes (and the New England roads).

What should be the expected cost of installation?
How difficult?

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
What should be the expected cost of installation?
How difficult?
When I bought my monotubes the local dealer wanted 8hrs for the install, it took me less than that and wasn't really too difficult. An indy would probably charge a little less, but I'm glad I did it myself, I got to know the bike a little better, and the since of accomplishment was priceless.

·
Registered
941 Posts
When I bought my monotubes the local dealer wanted 8hrs for the install, it took me less than that and wasn't really too difficult. An indy would probably charge a little less, but I'm glad I did it myself, I got to know the bike a little better, and the since of accomplishment was priceless.
Found this install video on YouTube. Thanks to BikerTrends
Install looks easy. I don't have a big vice; a helping set of second hands should suffice. I do have a bike lift for lowering the front wheel. The other tools are standard tool box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Monotube Install

I had my standard length monotubes installed today at my loocal dealer. They charged me three hours labor. I found them on-line for $259.00. I installed Progressive rear shocks a couple of weeks ago at home. That was a pretty good improvement. Now, with front and rear Progressives; the ride is fantastic. I travelled the same 45-mile route home from the dealer. It felt as though the State had repaved the road while the springs were being installed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed mine on Friday. It took me about 2.5 hours. What a difference they made. We went on the Skid Row Toy Run this morning at the Fred Jordan Mission in Los Angeles. We were two up and the thing is really a pleasure to ride now.

Joe 2005 RG

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well I added this to the to do list, gonna go with a 1 inch drop. How hard is it to do the lowers gonna do those in black

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
This is perfect timing. I'm going to my local indy buddy to order monotubes this week. I have a 21" front wheel so 1" is what I want correct?

Second question is did you put in a heavier fork weight oil or run the same. Thanks!

Bullduck, thanks for the video. Haven't watched it yet but another resource to help is never bad..:cool:

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
This is perfect timing. I'm going to my local indy buddy to order monotubes this week. I have a 21" front wheel so 1" is what I want correct?

Second question is did you put in a heavier fork weight oil or run the same. Thanks!

Bullduck, thanks for the video. Haven't watched it yet but another resource to help is never bad..:cool:
laxinharley, you can drop 1" or 2", its up to you. If you like stock height, with a 21" wheel you will want to drop 1". If you want to lower the front from stock height with a 21" you will want to drop 2".

Also ..."only a small amount (5oz.) of 20WT or Type H-D fork oil is required in each fork for lubricating the internal moving parts - the cartridge dampers are sealed. Changing the volume or viscosity of the oil is not recommended and could cause damage and/or loss of control."

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
laxinharley, you can drop 1" or 2", its up to you. If you like stock height, with a 21" wheel you will want to drop 1". If you want to lower the front from stock height with a 21" you will want to drop 2".

Also ..."only a small amount (5oz.) of 20WT or Type H-D fork oil is required in each fork for lubricating the internal moving parts - the cartridge dampers are sealed. Changing the volume or viscosity of the oil is not recommended and could cause damage and/or loss of control."
Thats why I love this place. Thanks DED HD!

I'm going to go with 1" drop, stock height because Im 6'1 320. :D

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Guys need your opinion. Contacted Progressive and told them its a 2011 RGC with a 21" wheel on the front and they suggested stock kit and leave out the 2 preloaded shims that way it would drop it 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

I am 6'1 320 and actually love the stance of the bike with the 21" on it. I just want to add this because it feels like its "bouncing" a little or "loose" to me with the 21" on there and I hear the monotubes make a huge difference. What do you guys think about thier suggestion??? Or should I be purchasing the lowering kit. Thanks
Scott

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
Personally, set mine down to full drop in the front.......and I love it. 21 with stock front end I once had the "loose" feeling, like the front tire was starting to float, but I was doing about 90 with a 20+ MPH cross wind LOL I installed my monotubes and my front ent the next day and have never once looked back!!

As I always do, I say slam the bitch :D I'd post a pic for you but I think laxin knows what my bike looks like ;) and I still think he's havering "Simmons flashbacks".........BTW, I think Richie is working on bedazzling your "outit"

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Personally, set mine down to full drop in the front.......and I love it. 21 with stock front end I once had the "loose" feeling, like the front tire was starting to float, but I was doing about 90 with a 20+ MPH cross wind LOL I installed my monotubes and my front ent the next day and have never once looked back!!

As I always do, I say slam the bitch :D I'd post a pic for you but I think laxin knows what my bike looks like ;) and I still think he's havering "Simmons flashbacks".........BTW, I think Richie is working on bedazzling your "outit"
Yes yes I know what the piece if crap looks like. Lol. Thanks for the advise. And let me know if Richie needs my bedazzler. I have extra special jewels for the crotch reason. :D

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
Yes yes I know what the piece if crap looks like. Lol. Thanks for the advise. And let me know if Richie needs my bedazzler. I have extra special jewels for the crotch reason. :D
HEY!!!! It might be a piece of crap, but it's my piece of crap LOL

As for the bedazzled, last I talked to him he said he has his own (think he stock piled before they went under) and he had something special in mind for you and ur ensemble.........that's between you two and god knows, I'm not going there :eek: remember I'm not here to judge buddy, it's a don't ask/don't tell stand point LMAO

1 - 20 of 36 Posts