Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the Progressive Monotube in the front forks when I did the chrome work and all I can say is why did I wait so long to do this upgrade. The difference in handling is night and day, it seems as if the bike is on rails and the improvement on the ride is just awesome, and using the front brake is such a pleasure now that there is minimal nose dive, also the Monotubes are maintenance free so there is no more changing the fork oil. The Progressive Monotubes are a little pricey at $340 but right now they get 2 BIG THUMBS UP in my book.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Just installed some myself. I agree, the ride is more stable and very planted to the road. For some reason my front end wobble improved also. May have just been something loose in the front end. In my haste to get the front end back together, I forgot about the wobble completely. I had planned to try to adjust it but it improved by itself. ???

·
Super Moderator
5,847 Posts
I agree! I did a 2 inch drop and have been riding with it since May. Rides and handles great and looks BADASS!!!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I've ran them in my last 2 bikes and am very happy with them , for the money they are hard to beat

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks for the review! I just ordered a set and can't wait to get them installed. I may hold off and do the chrome front end at the same time--kill two birds with one stone.

Did you do the install yourself, or pay for it? My dealer is telling me it's a 6 hr job!!!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Did anyone do this upgrade in conjunction with the Progressive 940 shocks?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
I did both a 1" lower mono and the 940's at just about the same time. They make a noticeable difference in the suspension of the bike. Much stiffer with more control. Can't tell you which one made the most difference. I will say that I'm partial to progressive shocks and the stiffness it give to the bike, as I've had them on my last 5 bikes.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I did it with the Progressive 440 shocks. I put on the 440's a couple of weeks before I did the monotubes, the 440's make a big difference in the ride and handling over the stock shocks. I would say the rear shocks made a 33% improvement and the monotubes made a 66% improvement. I did not lower my bike I kept it the stock height because I believe that the bike was designed this way for the best ride and handling by HD engineers and besides that I scrape the floorboard now :D

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the review! I just ordered a set and can't wait to get them installed. I may hold off and do the chrome front end at the same time--kill two birds with one stone.

Did you do the install yourself, or pay for it? My dealer is telling me it's a 6 hr job!!!
I had it done because I am snowbirding in AZ right now and I don't have the tools here to do the work myself. But I also had chrome wheels and fork lower put on at the same time so I was killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Check out my post on the chrome by Willy Shiny. It did take around 5 to 6 hours for them to do all the work, I had the work done by a indy.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
on my last bike I ran monotubes and 940's , big improvement and was very happy , on my current bike I'm running monotubes and Ohlins and it is even better

·
Super Moderator
12,295 Posts

My dealer told me 8 hrs, I thought that was crazy at $90hr, so I decided to do it myself, took around 4hrs and I had never done it before. I love the monotubes, as posted before handle great and drastic improvement in ride and control, I've had mine over a year now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Im running the 940's in the rear and just put the mono tubes in the front at 2inches lower. About 4hrs is right on the install time.Rides like a dream compared to stock. I REALLY recommend this set up. I'll post some pics of the stance if it ever stops raining here. It didnt rain here in Austin for 6 months, now its been raining for week!

·
Registered
830 Posts
You guys are making me feel good...

My bike is spending the winter with my Indy. I am planning on getting Mono tubes and 940's installed before I pick her up next spring...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im running the 940's in the rear and just put the mono tubes in the front at 2inches lower. About 4hrs is right on the install time.Rides like a dream compared to stock. I REALLY recommend this set up. I'll post some pics of the stance if it ever stops raining here. It didnt rain here in Austin for 6 months, now its been raining for week!
Can you post those pictures? I'm a damn short RGC rider (5'2") and I am looking to do the monotube and 440 installation asap. Would love to see photos.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have you ever bottomed out? I was at the dealer and mentioned that I'd like to lower my bike (just speaking of the front) and he said there have been a lot of dinged fenders coming into the shop because they lowered just the front.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Monotube questions....

With the 2" lowering, are there suspension travel issues? Does it make the ride harsher? Any bottoming out?

I just put a 21 front wheel on my '05 Glide and want to get the handling back...it handles terribly now

·
Registered
318 Posts
I personally have had no issues with bottoming out, the ride is firmer, but I would not call it harsh. I have lowered the front and rear, don't know if that makes a difference. Im still on the stock wheel so I cant give you any feedback on the 21" but also plan on a 21/17 combo in the next few months.pictures are available here..
http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=12706

·
Registered
830 Posts
I am not happy spending 25,000 dollars on a bike with the wobble issue. If the Motor company ignores it, lets file a class action suit. If interested my e mail is [email protected].
Did I miss it?
Were any of us discussing wobble when this troll tried to hijack the thread?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts