Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is; Does lowering the front to match the rear improve handling or not?
My set up for this question.

I have a 2013 RGU. I am working with a 32" inch inseam here.
When I bought the bike I needed to get flatfooted so I changed the seat and have replaced the 13inch rear shocks with 12inch. I am good now and feel in control at all stops now. I ride the shit out of this bike in the Colorado Twisties.

I wnat to change the front suspension to Progressive Monotubes for performance gains and have the option to lower the front at this time.
My dilemma is my bike scrapes on hard turns, either jiffy stand on left or Power Duals on right and I feel lowering any further will just make the issue worse.

Any input is welcome and appreciated.

--hoot

·
Registered
681 Posts
I ride a 2011 cvo- I put the hd adj. shock on rear-12"-pro cartridge on front-I dropped the front 2"-i really like it -the front is a little stiffer,but will never hit the fender-I put pro 944 shocks on the rear for a while,pretty stiff-ok when 2 up,pain in the ass to change adj.-so I went back to the hd adj. shock-combined 2up weight is about 310-315 and luggage.if your rubbing now I would keep at stock height-I don't ride that hard-will really stop the front end dive

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Have you adjusted your footboards any? It's weird that you're scraping the pipes before the boards. Maybe that is because there is a slightly different angle of the wheelbase now.

If you lower the front, you will essentially be matching the stock geometry of the bike... just lower. You are still going to scrape (you are lower after all), but now you might be scraping the boards like everyone else.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
If you've already lowered the rear an inch or two and you're scraping then lowering the front will make the scraping worse. As far as the monotube's, they will stiffen the front up a bit as they have to in order to minimize nose diving. The bike will handle better with the monotube's. I put the progressives in a few years ago but I stayed with the stock height. I love them

·
Registered
215 Posts
On my 2009, I had super shox 12” on the rear and monotubes-1 on the front. Floorboards had a little scrape but my bigger issues was the jiffy stand was to long. FWIW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
822 Posts
My 10 FLTRX came with 12" shocks, but I put 13's on it to gain some ground clearance (and suspension travel). Handling was unaffected by the change.

Granted, I leveled up instead of down, but the end result is basically the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts