Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't want to drop the coin for JRI even though I've read how much everyone likes them...

Looking for a modest improvement over the stock air shock. Mostly looking to smooth out the bumps....

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't believe that the JRI or Ohlins are that much more money in the long run, and for a little more money you are getting a better shock.
Nominated...

Dan: Call & talk to Howard - ask him the difference between Progressive & his shocks. Then you can decide if that difference is worth it. I was really surprised at how long Howard took to describe how the harley shocks work and how a real shock should work. It certainly has opened my mind & I am anxious to get my JRI's installed!!

·
Super Moderator
5,847 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the JRIs or Ohlins. Have we steered you wrong yet?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I don't believe that the JRI or Ohlins are that much more money in the long run, and for a little more money you are getting a better shock.
Plus one on that.

I ran 444s (which are better than stock) until another forum member sold me some JRI-Bs. good price too. They are significantly better than the Progs with more adjustment, very good quality and you can call and talk to a real live person who knows what he's talking about if need be at JRI. I'm sure Howard would do the same. Try that with Progressive, hope you have better luck than me, barely got a half-assed email response from them.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I put the harley premium ride on ours this winter. Got them on sale so they were about 100.00 cheaper then the 444s. So far we've been happy with them. Pretty loaded down this week and they've done well. Lot better then the stock.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Just got the new Progressive 970 today. I plan on installing them before I leave for the California Anti Shark Week Ride on the 27th.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I picked up a set of the HD premium adjustables that a guy took of a 14 Street Glide S. Got them for $250 and so far I am very happy with them. It would be worth looking for some take offs if you want to save some cash.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear all you about the JRI and Ohlins... and I don't doubt for 1 minute how good they are... but I've already spent way more than I planed this off season and if I drop that much on shocks my wife will have my head...

HD Prem $393 (from a popular discounter)
Prog 944 $599
JRI B $950
Ohlins $1,000

·
Registered
941 Posts
I hear all you about the JRI and Ohlins... and I don't doubt for 1 minute how good they are... but I've already spent way more than I planed this off season and if I drop that much on shocks my wife will have my head...

HD Prem $393 (from a popular discounter)
Prog 940 $599
JRI B $950
Ohlins $1,000
I have JRI-B for rears, and Progressive Monotubes in the the fronts. Totally different and vastly improved ride from OEM stock. I highly recommend the setup. I have no experience with Ohlins so cannot make a comparison. I kept the stock height and wheels for my '08 keeping it more of a long distance rider than a tarted up bar hopper; my 2000 Deuce fills that pleasant niche.

Monotubes readily available at many discount parts stores. I bought mine from http://www.phatperformanceparts.com

The JRI-B I purchased from Howard. Cantankerous guy, more knowledge about shocks than most or all of us - certainly more than me. He took my info and ordered what he thought would be best. And I got a great price from Howard; JRI factory was also doing a sale/promotion at the time so the price was way less than you quoted. Give a shoutout to Howard and then decide.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've decided to go with the Progressive 944.

I found them for 563 + 10% off w/ free shipping.

http://www.jcmotors.com/progressive-suspension-944-series-13-ultra-touring-black-shocks-harley-davidson-touring-80-14-35134-p#tab1

(10% off special for first time customers)

Now i need to call and make sure they have them in stock with the fatman spring!

D.
Ohlins for $617 here. Consider that the $617 is the market price, and buy from vendor of your choice - perhaps even pay less. So for $100 more you move up to a great shock, in the opinion of others who know more about the difference between shocks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts