Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the progressive spring kit today. Standard length. Big improvement, shoukd have done it a long time ago.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Picking mine up today. I did it to my 2001 Roadking and the change was incredible. Tracked like it was on rails and no more dive

·
Registered
33 Posts
Changed to Progressive front springs last weekend while installing black forks and cowbells, big improvement in ride and much less dive, now I need to go with Progressive rear springs/shocks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Has the handling characteristics changed much??? did it help the "riding on ice" feeling??? Do the help in curves???

·
Registered
32 Posts
just put the mono front & 944's on rear.........cant ride for 6 months though, just had my back fused, hopping its gonna be a lot nicer & easier on my back...oh yea, when i took off the stock air shocks the right side air line was completely pinched of...from factory, never had air to it....maybe that's y it road a little funky....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Progressive Monotubes on my '13 CVO RG

Installed the monotubes last week and rode for 300-miles this weekend. Wish I had installed them when I bought the bike 6-weeks ago. Already have 2k-miles. Progressive monotube inserts change it from handling like a Volkswagen to handling like a Ferrari. Unbelievable the difference it makes. I was going to install the Progressive 944s or Arnott airs but now with the monotubes installed and I made the stock hydraulic rears a bit more firm, the ride is awesome. I ride 2-up about half the time and in either situation the ride is perfect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fork Spring Upgrade!

I've found at least a fork spring upgrade and fork oil wt. changes are cheap upgrades that improved the suspension and handling on all my bikes over the years. On the RG, I went with the monotube upgrade (with 3 spacers) which was an even better improvement. The challenge is defining what you have and the changes that might give you what you want.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Installed the montubes and HD Progressive rears (13" stock length) mid last year and put about 6000 miles on them. The Progressive has gas charged dampers and variable rate springs vs the stock HD set-up.

The bike with the monotubes tracks through corners now with no mid turn corrections required, tracks straight as an arrow on the open road, and the brake dive has all but disappeared.

I went with the Heavy Duty rears with the heavier spring set up because I do a lot of 2 up riding and I am not a lightweight (250lbs). The stock suspension was always bottoming out 2 up. I can't say it hasn't bottomed out since installing the progressives but only a couple of times as compared to every time we were out. Coupled with the monotubes the bike is a much better handler now and on top of that I don't have to top up the air in the rears between riding single or with 2 or risk the loss of air through the tubing or the schraeder valve (I always carried a spare as they are prone to failure). A simple turn of the shock collar and I can increase the preload in less than 30 seconds.

In a nutshell no regrets at all.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I just ordered my Progressive monotubes. I found them at Amazon.com for $288.09 with free shipping. I'm doing this upgrade solely based on the reports from riders in this forum. Only one left in stock at that price.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Had the springs on my 10 Ultra and they were much better than stock ~ the Monotubes are on the CVO and they are much better than the springs ~ alot more refined feel ~ no bottoming.... Well worth the extra money.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Has the handling characteristics changed much??? did it help the "riding on ice" feeling??? Do the help in curves???
Check the torque on your swing arm bolts. That may be your problem with the riding on ice feeling you get.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts