Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been riding on stock for a few years, and having come from street bikes, and going to deals gap and knee dragging, to hey Bill out for another ride are ya, well its a lovely Sunday for it. I couldn't take it anymore, I had to do something. So I decided to go with the monotubes on the front, and the remote reservoir 970 HD on the back. I never thought I would have a ride this comfortable and responsive. I can lay down in the corners again, but only so far of course, but feel completely safe, and roll right into after the curve starts to open up again. I was doing ok before, now its ridiculous the change it has made, at least for me. So for anyone out there thinking about going with some aftermarket suspension setup, that is what I would HIGHLY recommend to you.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I added the monotubes and 444s to my 2011 ultra this year. Only got a couple hours on them so far. The improvement over stock is GREAT! Its so much better on rough road comfort wise. And confidence wise, I feel like Im on a sport tourer. I cant wait to push it in the twisties and see how much better it is!

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
I have air ride in the back but I recently went with a set of stock height monotubes in the front. I wish I did the tubes long ago. World of difference

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
I added the monotubes and 444s to my 2011 ultra this year. Only got a couple hours on them so far. The improvement over stock is GREAT! Its so much better on rough road comfort wise. And confidence wise, I feel like Im on a sport tourer. I cant wait to push it in the twisties and see how much better it is!
I did the exact same thing over the snow months. It is a whole lot nicer ride compared to the stock suspension.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So I have been riding on stock for a few years, and having come from street bikes, and going to deals gap and knee dragging, to hey Bill out for another ride are ya, well its a lovely Sunday for it. I couldn't take it anymore, I had to do something. So I decided to go with the monotubes on the front, and the remote reservoir 970 HD on the back. I never thought I would have a ride this comfortable and responsive. I can lay down in the corners again, but only so far of course, but feel completely safe, and roll right into after the curve starts to open up again. I was doing ok before, now its ridiculous the change it has made, at least for me. So for anyone out there thinking about going with some aftermarket suspension setup, that is what I would HIGHLY recommend to you.
Where did you buy your parts? I've noticed that the front end on my R.G. acts the same way that my Goldwing did when I go through fast sweepers on the interstate on ramps. The front kind of wallows through. Did you experience this?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I got my mono tubes off eastern performance on line. They made an unbelievable difference and no more sag in the front and sticks great cornering. Now for the rears. Currently I'm using 11.5" progressive 912's. I had the 944's and hated them. But to be fair I mite have had the wrong ones for my size. Cause when i was 2 up i loved them. Solo sucked and it was bouncy and would feel like i was gonna crash in a corner.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have the same set up. Mototubes and the 970's but haven't installed them yet cause I'm still on the fence about keeping my 06 or upgrading top a newer RG....hopefully I get it all sorted out in the next month. I can't wait to feel the improvement in suspension.
I used cycleplicity.com for purchase....saved a LOT on the 970's, got them for $867....they were cheaper there then anywhere else I could find by more than $200.

·
Super Moderator
13,082 Posts
I have the same set up. Mototubes and the 970's but haven't installed them yet cause I'm still on the fence about keeping my 06 or upgrading top a newer RG....hopefully I get it all sorted out in the next month. I can't wait to feel the improvement in suspension.
I used cycleplicity.com for purchase....saved a LOT on the 970's....they were cheaper there then anywhere else I could find by more than $100.
Change the suspension anyway, you missing a good ride and may decide not to upgrade. If you do upgrade you can always put the stock suspension back in.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yeah, I get it... I just don't wanna do it twice. I'm hoping to have a 2010+ RG here in the next 2-4 weeks and want to install them in that! And if I don't...then I'll throw them on the 06.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought my supplies from a local motorcycle shop. He has always given me good deals, and I usually wait until the new season to buy anything so that way I can try to talk him into getting the new release of the product I want.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Did montube and 440 13" on my RGC. At my 170-175 weight the std shock was just too stiff over last 8 months (5000 miles). Took em off and drove em over to Frank at Progressive. They swapped out to 75/115 weight spring and installed the latest bushings for no charge. Way better ride, progressive stands behind products!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts