Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my Progressive insurance on my 2016 RGU was up for renewal... total annual $617 and with full one year payment $547 ($70 savings). I had my motorcycle insurance through USAA and they don't offer motorcycle insurance so they connected my via USAA to Progressive. Never had an issue, great prices and great service. I used them when I needed a tow and was helpful.

But $$617 for motorcycle insurance is steep when I was used to paying $250 for my 2007 Ultra Classic. Well.... got an email the other day from HD Insurance and I thought I would check it out. Glad I did... now I'm paying $267 for 12 month coverage.

In VA, minimum is 25/50 for comp/liability and under/uninsured. Have vanishing deductible starting at $1,000 and road side assistance.

When comparing to Progressive for the same coverage, still more than double the HD Insurance. To be fair, only used Progressive once in 8 years for road side assistance, never had issues, but substantial savings is substantial savings.

https://www.insurance.harley-davidson.com/ Very easy online process and quote....

Hope this helps anyone looking at insurance coverage.

safe riding!!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Recently my Progressive insurance on my 2016 RGU was up for renewal... total annual $617 and with full one year payment $547 ($70 savings). I had my motorcycle insurance through USAA and they don't offer motorcycle insurance so they connected my via USAA to Progressive. Never had an issue, great prices and great service. I used them when I needed a tow and was helpful.

But $$617 for motorcycle insurance is steep when I was used to paying $250 for my 2007 Ultra Classic. Well.... got an email the other day from HD Insurance and I thought I would check it out. Glad I did... now I'm paying $267 for 12 month coverage.

In VA, minimum is 25/50 for comp/liability and under/uninsured. Have vanishing deductible starting at $1,000 and road side assistance.

When comparing to Progressive for the same coverage, still more than double the HD Insurance. To be fair, only used Progressive once in 8 years for road side assistance, never had issues, but substantial savings is substantial savings.

https://www.insurance.harley-davidson.com/ Very easy online process and quote....

Hope this helps anyone looking at insurance coverage.

safe riding!!
I did the online quote just now. It doubled what I'm currently paying at Dairyland. Insurance is a strange thing: Each company will give you a completely different rate based on zip code. When I lived in New Jersey, Progressive was the best. In PA, Dairyland is. And it is constantly changing. Every year I get about 3 or 4 online quotes for my house, car and motorcycle. I usually change companies based on rates every couple of years.

Also, I don't think HD actually issues insurance policies. They farm it out. When I got a Quote from HD a few years ago, it was with Progressive. I don't know if that changed.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Also, I don't think HD actually issues insurance policies. They farm it out. When I got a Quote from HD a few years ago, it was with Progressive. I don't know if that changed.
depends on where you are. I've been with hd progressive since 2002. never found a quote that saved me substantially from anyone else so i'll keep my status with them and stick with them. plus, I've always gotten good service when I've had to make a claim.

funny enough, I've checked progressive, progressive through usaa, and progressive through hd. I got the best rates from progressive through hd.

·
Registered
127 Posts
USAA doesn’t underwrite motorcycle insurance outside of TX.

I pay $600 through USAA/Progressive. After paid in full discount.

H-D insurance came in $30 less. So I’ll see next year when it’s time to renew.

I was paying $75/yr for both NC700X and CB550 last year through USAA/Progressive. So I had a little sticker shock when I bought the RGU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
i meant to mention in my other post, progressive takes paypal. if you have paypal credit, you can pay your insurance bill in full (for the discount) and then take 6 months to pay it off on paypal. that way you aren't laying out such a large chunk of cash at once, but still get the savings....

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
A few years back I had progressive through HD,And Geico cut my deductible in half for half the price.Maybe it does depend on your zip code.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I was in the same boat several years ago. These guys beat all of them.

https://www.markelinsurance.com/motorcycle

2016 RGS maxed out LIAB, $500 deduc. $749 py.

Compared to PROG /HD & USAA Markel saved me about $350.
Use Markel myself. The best prices for me. My sons both ride and they are not the cheapest for them. Everyone just needs to shop around for themselves and get what they are comfortable with.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great Insurance Options

Great insurance recommendations from everyone. I'll definitely be checking out the other options... This time around, HD Insurance was cheaper!

Less insurance cost means more dollars toward mods>:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just got a 2018 road glide ultra,my insurance I had with allstate went to $650.I switched to geico now it $300 a year.
It is like another responder stated it depends on where you live.

I just double checked my Allstate policy for my 2003 trike and my 1983 FXDG both with declared value and the premium was only $560 annually.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I was in the same boat several years ago. These guys beat all of them.

https://www.markelinsurance.com/motorcycle

2016 RGS maxed out LIAB, $500 deduc. $749 py.

Compared to PROG /HD & USAA Markel saved me about $350.
Gave it a shot. In my zip code, Markel was $200 more a year than Dairlyand. Also, make sure you put in the same coverage as your current policy. These online quotes always default to the lowest coverage to show a low rate.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It is like another responder stated it depends on where you live.
It does depend on zip code, one area may have higher crime rates (thus more chance of a claim) than others. Something else they use, that's not widely known, is your credit score. A higher credit score tends to indicate a more responsible person, thus less chance of risk. Less chance of risk means a lower premium.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts