Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my 08 road glide back from being serviced...

clutch lets out almost at the end.(1/2 in or so)..dont remember it like this. used to start engageing about half way..

is this correct or was it wrong before?

or is clutch about gone ?

·
Registered
828 Posts
isnt it just a preference, i have mine adjusted so it begins to engage about a 1/4 in off grip.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is not adjusted right. Once the clutch is adjusted, then the cable is adjusted so that there is 1/16 to 1/8 inch play in the lever. I use a dime to check mine. It seems like with it having to be released that far to engage, that the clutch might not be fully engaging and may start to slip under load.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My clutch slips under load, that is when I really jump on the throttle. I've been thinking I have to find time for the dealer. Is it possible it's just a lever adjustment??

·
Registered
593 Posts
Triplej . . . THANKS for sharing and making this the great site that it is.

You guys know everything!:cool:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No need to have the dealer do it, it a pretty easy adjustment if your inclined to do it yourself. Here is a good video showing the procedure. Just make sure the bike is cold when you do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl92wwLiNwE

is that the video i watched that said need to change gasket each time?

is that correct ?
so should have gasket on hand before?

thought about doing it....but since dealer did it...thinking if having them re adjust it if can find time to take it back

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Its suggested to change gaskets, you don't have to and I don't as long as the gasket looks good.

·
Registered
154 Posts
In addition to adjusting the clutch some of you may benefit from the upgraded SE clutch spring. Cost is only ~$40 and really firms up the engagement. Don't have the part number handy but found it in the Screaming Eagle catalog. Has been discussed here in the forums too if you want to do some research.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My clutch slips under load, that is when I really jump on the throttle. I've been thinking I have to find time for the dealer. Is it possible it's just a lever adjustment??
You need to do the complete process. Clutch and then cable. That syncs up the system so that it is all working as it is supposed to.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Wildbill, you most likely need to install a heavy duty spring in your clutch. I had to with mine.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Minus the heavy breathing and its performed on a Roadie! Nice!
That's a good video . It would make a good sticky for first time do it your selfers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wildbill, you most likely need to install a heavy duty spring in your clutch. I had to with mine.
Found the part number for the SE Clutch Diaphragm Spring...37951-98 Cost is about $40

·
Registered
487 Posts
That's a good video . It would make a good sticky for first time do it your selfers.

did you take a look through the rest of his road glide videos (the small engine shop)? he does a fantastic job filming and explaining those also. they include clutch cable replacement, oil/filter, transfercase fluid, trans fluid, front and rear brake fluid change, rear brake pad replacement, fuel filter, i think thats it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/smallengineshop

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so if i back out 1/2 turn and clutch letting out almost all the way out....if i adjust to 3/4 turn...will it even be letting out farther out or closer to grip ?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts