Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying my 13 RG, I found that the factory dash gave you very little info about the motor, and that the air temp gauge was practically useless. So I got the oil temp gauge and installed it in place of the air temp. Now I can see how hot the motor oil is getting. My question is how hot is too hot? I am seeing 230 degrees at times. That seems a bit hot to me, but I am no expert.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
230 degrees is pretty normal for highway riding with outside temps in the mid to upper 80 degree range. Synthetic oil is supposed to be ok to 280 but mine has never got close to that because I run a fan with the oil cooler.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Oil temp is not that important. It won't get to hot.
The heads get hot but oil lubes the heads does very little cooling of them just not enough flow to do that.
Oil temp gauge is a waste of time and money needless worry.
But it plays good on the internet.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I too made the mistake of putting an oil temp gauge in to replace the air temp. As soon as it was in, I was constantly thinking about oil temps.

It passes, eventually, just ride and forget it.

Softail, Dyna and Sportster riders just dont worry about this crap. My new saying is "add a gauge, add a neurosis"

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
There is no normal oil temp persay. The oil temp is going to depend on the engine temp and the engine temp will be different according to ambient air temp, so the oil temp and engine temp all depends on how hot/cold it is outside and how much airflow there is to cool off the engine.
The oil temp gauge is a good tool to have but don't get too paranoid over the readings, oil temps up to 260 can be common but the engine will be fine, I would start to worry when the oil temps get over 300 and it would be best to shut the bike off and let it cool if that happens.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW! Those are some hot temps. Remind me to not to try and change the oil right after a ride!! OK. Thanks all I was just worried that that kinda temp could be an issue.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
There is no normal oil temp persay. The oil temp is going to depend on the engine temp and the engine temp will be different according to ambient air temp, so the oil temp and engine temp all depends on how hot/cold it is outside and how much airflow there is to cool off the engine.
The oil temp gauge is a good tool to have but don't get too paranoid over the readings, oil temps up to 260 can be common but the engine will be fine, I would start to worry when the oil temps get over 300 and it would be best to shut the bike off and let it cool if that happens.
Another great reason to use a full synthetic oil. It can take much higher temps before breaking down which is a good thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts