Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 RGS and am looking for opinions on whether or not upgrading the front and rear suspension is worth the money? what benefits do you gain from the upgrade? and info would be great thanks.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
First. THERE ARE NO CONS!

This is the first mod you should do on almost every motorcycle made today.

I put Ohlins 13 inch rear shocks with rebound adjustment within the first 60 miles of riding the '18 Road Glide Special. What I gained is a shock specifically set up for my weight and riding style. A shock that keeps the rear wheel planted on the road while at the same time keeps my back from being jolted by an imperfection in the road.

I am still on the fence regarding changing out the front end on this new bike because I feel like the '18 front suspension does a decent job.

Take a look at the OEM rear suspension on your bike. One side is a shock absorber, while the other side is just a spring on a shaft to keep it straight.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I haven't done so yet, but is in the plans. Looking at going with Super Show in rear.

Pros: much better ride and allows you to ride even longer. So what more do you need?

Cons: cost you money.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Next to a better seat this is the best upgrade I have done. Not only is the ride firm and compliant, the handling is night and day better. I have super shox in the rear and Legend in the front. There are no cons only pros to this upgrade. The best $1,200 to $1,500, you can spend on your bike. Chase torque after you have made the bike ride and handle like a dream.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
If you plan on putting miles on the bike then a suspension upgrade is a must!! I have Ohlins front and rear and have no regrets... There are cheaper options out there I just felt that Ohlins has been in the game a long time and was the best product for me..

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Pros: - Better Ride Quality, Better Handling, More Predictable in certain circumstances (oh shit moments)
Cons: - You'll be pissed you did not do it sooner

·
Registered
323 Posts
Like others have said, good suspension makes a big difference in the ride, handling, and braking.
My experience with custom suspension is that most "experts" selling it don't have a clue how to set it up, regardless of what they say. Another con would be to look at the service interval of Ohlins, if that is the route you want to go.
My 17 RGU has pretty decent suspension, especially when the shock is set to the factory recommended setting.

As to every new bike benefiting from new suspension, I'd argue that one. New sport bikes have great suspension. It's getting it dialed in (just like custom suspension) that's the tricky part. A good friend of mine was getting podiums in expert class races regularly on a Yamaha with stock suspension, adjusted by Dave Moss. I'm sure it frustrated the heck out of one of the other guys I know who had $14K forks and a very expensive shock. As a matter of fact, when the guy added those $14K forks, he picked up less than 1/2 second.
As to every new HD benefiting from it, that would be hard to argue, since HD doesn't give us much to work with. No adjustable forks, and very limited shocks. Pretty much one size fits all.

One other thing. Even the best suspension typically has limits. Set it up for a smooth ride at normal speeds might compromise high speed comfort/handling, and vice versa.

·
Registered
343 Posts
No cons in this upgrade. It’s a fact that the best bang for your buck in terms of upgrades go is in your rear suspension. Upgrades to the front will also offer better ride and handling characteristics but in the rear the differences is night and day.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
A good aftermarket front suspension will reduce or eliminate the front wheel diving when braking. When combined with a good rear suspension, you will get a more comfortable ride and more controlled handling. I went from riding 45 minutes before butt burn to draining a tank with the change. So much better that you will complain that Harley should have done a much better job with suspension to begin with.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I'm running Ohlins remote resovour rear shocks and Ohlins 30mm fully adjustable cartridges in my forks. Cons= $$ Pros- greatly improved traction which could save your life, smoother ride , more predictable handling, the bike absolutely goes and stays where I point it

·
Registered
16 Posts
On a whim, I stopped at the Ohlins tent in Rapid City during the Sturgis Rally. By the time I left I had the HD 159 installed. In the 650 miles since the improvement is noticeable. They recommended 13" instead of the stock 12" so that's what I went with. As said, only con is the $$. I didn't shop around with other companies. Probably should have. I didn't know much about shocks when I stopped at the tent but they were willing to educate (sell?) and were able to get the bike on the stand right away, so I pulled the trigger. Good luck!

Sorry, looks like my pic is sideways.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Like others have said, good suspension makes a big difference in the ride, handling, and braking.
My experience with custom suspension is that most "experts" selling it don't have a clue how to set it up, regardless of what they say. Another con would be to look at the service interval of Ohlins, if that is the route you want to go.
My 17 RGU has pretty decent suspension, especially when the shock is set to the factory recommended setting.

As to every new bike benefiting from new suspension, I'd argue that one. New sport bikes have great suspension. It's getting it dialed in (just like custom suspension) that's the tricky part. A good friend of mine was getting podiums in expert class races regularly on a Yamaha with stock suspension, adjusted by Dave Moss. I'm sure it frustrated the heck out of one of the other guys I know who had $14K forks and a very expensive shock. As a matter of fact, when the guy added those $14K forks, he picked up less than 1/2 second.
As to every new HD benefiting from it, that would be hard to argue, since HD doesn't give us much to work with. No adjustable forks, and very limited shocks. Pretty much one size fits all.

One other thing. Even the best suspension typically has limits. Set it up for a smooth ride at normal speeds might compromise high speed comfort/handling, and vice versa.
You would be amazed if you demo a RGU with suspension upgrades that match your riding weight.

You did read in my post that I said "almost" every motorcycle. :wink:

As far as high end sport bikes that is true if you are within the weight range of the suspension. Some guys are too light and some too heavy and benefit by a change. and in the end you agreed with me because he did pick up almost 1/2 a second which can mean win or lose if all else is equal.

Electronically adjustable on the fly would definitely be nice. My Triumph Trophy SE had that. See a good set of curves up ahead hit sport mode. Cruise down a less than stellar road, hit comfort mode.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You would be amazed if you demo a RGU with suspension upgrades that match your riding weight.

You did read in my post that I said "almost" every motorcycle. :wink:

As far as high end sport bikes that is true if you are within the weight range of the suspension. Some guys are too light and some too heavy and benefit by a change. and in the end you agreed with me because he did pick up almost 1/2 a second which can mean win or lose if all else is equal.

Electronically adjustable on the fly would definitely be nice. My Triumph Trophy SE had that. See a good set of curves up ahead hit sport mode. Cruise down a less than stellar road, hit comfort mode.
I didn't see my post as arguing with yours, as I agree that properly tuned aftermarket suspension is going to be better than stock suspension, especially on a HD. But the OP asked for cons, and there are cons as well, contrary to what some people might think. I had a Penske shock built for my GSXR race bike, and it sucked. And like I said, the OP might want to check the maintenance intervals if he's thinking of going Ohlins.
You're also right about the 1/2 second making a difference. But $14K forks plus a custom shock and all the tuning to go with it is a lot to shell out for that 1/2 second on club level racing. It would take an awful lot of podiums to pay for that. And when the guy on the stock R1 is giving you fits it's that much worse. the guy who had the tuned suspension is very good though. He has several championships to his name.

When Dave Moss set up my BMW RR I was amazed with what he could do in a matter of minutes, with stock suspension. It was much better than any "tuned" Ohlins I ever had. And Dave was the one who explained (and showed) to me how good stock suspension can be.

I really like the semi active suspension on my GS Rallye. The only reason HD isn't using it is because their customers are complacent. Between that, traction control, and cornering ABS, HD is really behind. You see most (if not all) of that technology on bikes that cost 1/2 as much as our HD's. And regardless of how great we think we ride, those features can be life savers. Or say they need to add those features because of all of the new 50 year old riders are living the dream and buying their first bike now that the kids are out of the house.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The only con I have found with my ohlins 159's is changing the preload when the wife rides with me.

·
Registered
927 Posts
15 RG upgraded front & rear to Ohlins. Made the bike safer to ride. Better handling acceleration and non-abs braking especially noticeable in wet weather riding. IMO cost is not a con, was worth every penny. Only con, should have been my first modification.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I upgraded this spring to the LEGEND REVO_A 13 INCH REAR
AND AXEO 21 IN FRONT BIKE IS SOLID AND PLANTED , MUCH BETTER THEN STOCK

·
Registered
42 Posts
I run the progressive 970s on my CVO. Suggest the same for your rears:
Just. Do. It. Then you’ll wanna do the fronts real quick like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
First. THERE ARE NO CONS!

This is the first mod you should do on almost every motorcycle made today.

I put Ohlins 13 inch rear shocks with rebound adjustment within the first 60 miles of riding the '18 Road Glide Special. What I gained is a shock specifically set up for my weight and riding style. A shock that keeps the rear wheel planted on the road while at the same time keeps my back from being jolted by an imperfection in the road.

I am still on the fence regarding changing out the front end on this new bike because I feel like the '18 front suspension does a decent job.

Take a look at the OEM rear suspension on your bike. One side is a shock absorber, while the other side is just a spring on a shaft to keep it straight.
Could not say it any better, and I did the same thing. 13" Ohlins HD 159s from Smarty on this forum. Best $ you will spend on your RGS.

Reactions: Smarty
1 - 20 of 22 Posts