Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading alot about ppl swapping out stock HD lifters for S&S /high performance lifters in these newer engines. Jut wondering what the pros are of doing this? My bike is stock other than stage 1 kit and I THINK it may be my lifters that are a little noisier than the past bikes I've had. Thinking of doing a swap but like to know if it's worth it

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Don't fix what's not broken. Wait until you hear the lifters fail which is usually a rattle sound when starting the bike after it was sitting for a long time.

Reactions: Nevadasun

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't fix what's not broken. Wait until you hear the lifters fail which is usually a rattle sound when starting the bike after it was sitting for a long time.
On cold mornings I'm getting a rattl on start up that last a few seconds

·
Registered
546 Posts
It's the lousy "C" lifters that came in your bike. My 2015 RG made the same noise as yours occasionally at around 5000 miles, and every morning by 9000 miles. Changed to S&S standard lifters (my bike is stock also) and SE adjustable push rods, no start up rattle, and super quiet, all temps.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
If it only last a few seconds and goes away then it isn't that bad, the lifters just bleed off a little and need to be pumped up some which happens to brand new lifters.
If the rattle gets longer and louder then it would be time to address the problem, it is your decision when to replace the lifters since it is your bike and you can hear it better than anyone .

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the lousy "C" lifters that came in your bike. My 2015 RG made the same noise as yours occasionally at around 5000 miles, and every morning by 9000 miles. Changed to S&S standard lifters (my bike is stock also) and SE adjustable push rods, no start up rattle, and super quiet, all temps.
Couple dumb questions for ya.
1. What does changing out the push rods do?
2. Changing out the lifters / push rods doesn't affect tune does it?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On your bike I wouldn't waste the money on the S&S premiums, if you are dead set on s&s then just use their standard lifter. I would just use a set of comp cam 850-1's. You can usually find them less then $20 a lifter.
I'll check that out. I also shouldn't have put High performance lifters on the post. The standard S&S I what I'm looking at but I'm open to others.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The 850-1 Comp Cams lifters are the very same lifters that Comp Cams sells under the V-thunder
name. Last summer I needed a set "today" so I went to J&Ps to pick some up. The V-Thunder lifters
were double bagged, with the inner bag being the Comp Cams 850-1 bag.

I've used Comp Cams stuff in cars and trucks for many many years and never had a single failure, I
have no qualms with using their stuff in my bike.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now does lifters have anything to do with the noise I hear coming through air cleaner when on the throttle? LET ME explain myself on this, I know that you will hear some flutter when running a open air cleaner but I've had several harley with open cleaners and this one is by far the loudest one I've owned. The others you had to be listening to hear but this one I have to turn the radio up to drown out the chatter. All that being said the lifters may have absolutely nothing to do with that... just curious and have no knowledge of how these engines operate

·
Registered
809 Posts
Now does lifters have anything to do with the noise I hear coming through air cleaner when on the throttle? LET ME explain myself on this, I know that you will hear some flutter when running a open air cleaner but I've had several harley with open cleaners and this one is by far the loudest one I've owned. The others you had to be listening to hear but this one I have to turn the radio up to drown out the chatter. All that being said the lifters may have absolutely nothing to do with that... just curious and have no knowledge of how these engines operate
If it sounds like two pieces of wood hitting then it is the throttle blade rattling.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it sounds like two pieces of wood hitting then it is the throttle blade rattling.
Yea I guess its kinda like that... been thinking it sounds more like metal slapping but more I think of it it may be what your talking about. If that's the case why is this bikes so much louder than my others with same mods and is there a way to tame it down without just sticking the football cover back on?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
S&S Premium lifters are great for high lift cams with steep ramps. .585 lift and below, S&S standards are great and what I put in my 16 because I was tired of hearing lifter rattle for up to 2 minutes at times. Sometimes go three days quiet then all of sudden I could have just got off the bike came back in 5 minutes and lifter rattle for minute or two again. Now quiet as a mouse. Now there are other lifters just as good, Comp lifters, Johnson Hi-lift is a great lifter that is reasonable too from AMS in Ft. Worth. The only reason for adjustable pushrods is that you don't want to take off the rocker box covers and rocker arms off. Just about as quick to remove them and no adjustment. That's what I did this time. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yea I guess its kinda like that... been thinking it sounds more like metal slapping but more I think of it it may be what your talking about. If that's the case why is this bikes so much louder than my others with same mods and is there a way to tame it down without just sticking the football cover back on?
The only cost effective way to tame it if you don't want the football cover back on is to just get used to the sound. Myself I just upgraded the speakers lol.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Couple dumb questions for ya.
1. What does changing out the push rods do?
2. Changing out the lifters / push rods doesn't affect tune does it?
No such thing as a dumb question! How we learn.
Changing the pushrods allows more precise adjustment, and saves labor time, as the fixed pushrods can be cut out = no removal of rocker covers. No affect on the tune.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No such thing as a dumb question! How we learn.
Changing the pushrods allows more precise adjustment, and saves labor time, as the fixed pushrods can be cut out = no removal of rocker covers. No affect on the tune.
Thanks man!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts