Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Smarty, Hester has a new motor! Her Scarlet red A now stands for "Awesome".

The motor with 61,000 miles was almost stock with the original clutch, stator, and compensator; all parts notorious for premature failure on the 2010 FLTRX. The only engine mods I had were D&D FatCats, Big Sucker breather, and DirectLink tuning. I rode Hester hard through 49 states with that motor; logging 40,000+ miles from 2010 to 2012 before my work and family obligations got in the way and stalled my riding.

Carol (Smarty) and I discussed a motor build for about a year before he had the time and I had the funds. I never wanted a fire-breathing wheelie machine. I just want reliable, which I had; especially compared to most 2010 96" owners. The 96 was fine for my needs when the speed limit across the country was 65mph or lower. These days, 75 is the norm, which means 80 is a typical cruising speed. At 70mph or below, Hester's mileage was 40mpg or better. Above 75mph, the mileage dropped to 32-34mpg.

I wanted a motor that would run cool all day in the Texas summer heat at 75mph for my typical 500+ mile days, while yielding higher fuel mileage. This is what was built:

TMAN 585 Cams
Torrington Cam Bearings
Alto Lifetime Carbonite Clutch Plates
Aims VP-95 Pressure Plate
S&S Premium Lifters
HPI 58/62 Throttle Body
5.8 Injectors
110 Cylinders/Pistons, Zero Decked
Ported/Polished Heads by MCE Performance
1.95 Intake Valve/1.68 Exhaust Valve
Beehive Springs
Compression Release Rocker Box Covers
Zippers Air Filter

The DirectLink dyno tune yielded 121.83HP and 128.99 torque. The HP could've been a bit higher if I had newer, larger diameter headers, but my goals were fuel mileage, reliability, and running cooler; all of which I achieved. While Hester was down, I sent my 3-3 shocks with 50,000 miles on them back to Ohlins to be updated and rebuilt and Smarty set them up for me.

I rode a 1,000 mile weekend to the Texas Panhandle and another 600 mile day to San Antonio and back to shake down the new motor, and it was fantastic! Mileage to/from the Panhandle was 42mpg and slightly lower to San Antonio as the speed limit was 85 for a large portion of the trip. The motor ran cool, pulled hard, and seemed quieter at 75mph than it did before at 60mph. The shocks were like riding on rails.

I'm super happy. Smarty is as talented with a motor as he is with suspension!

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
awesome , didnt know smarty was a motor guy too , now we gonna have to talk , cause you built exactly what I want ..

Still kept the Harley flyin' wheels ??

JtB

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
while i was installing Öhlins on my bike mr. smarty pants and i talked about engines.

sounds like you got yerself a nice motor for travelling the interstates. 110 ft.-lbs at 3000 rpm in 6th is gonna be real comfortable.

ride safe!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Me LIKEY! Congrats on the new powerhouse and the new ride!

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Congrats on the new heartbeat!

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Scott, congrats on Hester's New Power Train!
Smarty is definitely "The Man".
Enjoy many more miles with Hester, Bro!
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Congrats on new motor and great to see Hester back stronger than ever! Other than needing more power, did you have any problems with stock motor? I know issues can happen but seems a bit soon at only 61000 to have engine failure. Was just curious

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
He did my work and I'll have to say Ive got one of the fastest 103's out there. When I do go up to a 110 @Smarty will be doing the work. My 103 will run side by side with a M8 114 with a fat boy on it. @Shrug I bet your loving that torque!!!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Awesome upgrades Shrug. That'll keep the beastie and yourself going for a while.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Congrats on new motor and great to see Hester back stronger than ever! Other than needing more power, did you have any problems with stock motor? I know issues can happen but seems a bit soon at only 61000 to have engine failure. Was just curious

No issues at all. I was still on the original clutch. I had the opportunity to get the ported heads and other parts and Smarty's window of opportunity to do the work was open. The planets aligned and I blasted off.

I'm executing a multi-year plan to retire and a new bike is not in that plan. This motor should see me through and it's much better suited for the higher speed limits across the country these days.

·
Administrator
10,596 Posts
you on the same retirement plan I am on , I was gonna this year , but will wait three more till I am 65 , new bike is not in the plan , 'cept I be on the Motel6/camping retirement and you be on the Hilton plan ...

Need a new truck more than a new scooter ..

We need to return to an Alaskapalooza plan ... That fell through for every one of us ..

JtB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts