Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Anyone know anything about these plugs or have used them?
I actually don't understand what those folks are getting at Nevadasun.

The ignition system determines the voltage applied and outputs the current (the two factors that relate to electrical power - Watts). The only way a spark plug can increase the actual wattage delivered by the spark itself is by decreasing the resistance of the short conductor that's inside the porcelain insulted part of the plug.

Even if there were some sort of magic that could eliminate every little bit of that resistance (already almost non-existent), the % of improvement in actual performance would probably not be detectable... even using a dyno.

If you're getting reliable spark, you're getting reliable spark plus... If it ain't broke... well... never mind ;).

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Anyone know anything about these plugs or have used them?

Have had mine in for over 8k miles now. Still look damn near new. Picked them up at a local Advance Auto.
Some people see them as snake oil. If I don't have to change them every 10k I figure I might save a few bucks. Performance wise? I have no solid proof as far as scientific data but I have no issues starting no matter the outside temp or if the bike is hot or cold.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Have had mine in for over 8k miles now. Still look damn near new. Picked them up at a local Advance Auto.
Some people see them as snake oil. If I don't have to change them every 10k I figure I might save a few bucks. Performance wise? I have no solid proof as far as scientific data but I have no issues starting no matter the outside temp or if the bike is hot or cold.
No dispute here Ohiobellboy. Just saying I need to see something that's designed or manufactured differently to honestly offer a good opinion.

These days ignition systems are so superior to "the old days" of points and condensers that it's now relatively easy to induce a satisfactory spark and make things go bang.

That said, spark plug reliability and lifetime? Those are valid points you've made. Your 1st hand experience might shed some light on those topics.

My major issue though is why would they make a claim about "Watts" in the first place? I can't envision any possible major breakthrough in plugs that would make a difference in Watts (electrical power). Their banner ad makes me leery.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
No dispute here Ohiobellboy. Just saying I need to see something that's designed or manufactured differently to honestly offer a good opinion.

These days ignition systems are so superior to "the old days" of points and condensers that it's now relatively easy to induce a satisfactory spark and make things go bang.

That said, spark plug reliability and lifetime? Those are valid points you've made. Your 1st hand experience might shed some light on those topics.

My major issue though it why make a claim about "Watts" in the first place? I can't envision any possible major breakthrough in plugs that would make a difference in Watts (electrical power). Their banner ad makes me leery.
I thought about editing my post as you posted while I was typing. Didn't insinuate that you were referring to them as snake oil as I hadn't seen your reply yet. Huge debate about them over on another forum. I must have done days worth of reading about them and came back to the same conclusion about not having to change out the SE plugs every 10k miles. So far, so good. I'll try to keep this thread updated as my travels this year should put some miles on the bike. Just had the 15k done a few weeks back and I'm already at 17.5k. Going on vacation over the 4th so I'm sure I'll be close to 20k by the time I get back.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I thought about editing my post as you posted while I was typing. Didn't insinuate that you were referring to them as snake oil as I hadn't seen your reply yet. Huge debate about them over on another forum. I must have done days worth of reading about them and came back to the same conclusion about not having to change out the SE plugs every 10k miles. So far, so good. I'll try to keep this thread updated as my travels this year should put some miles on the bike. Just had the 15k done a few weeks back and I'm already at 17.5k. Going on vacation over the 4th so I'm sure I'll be close to 20k by the time I get back.
No offense taken - read as written and was fine with me. I was actually trying to make my 1st post more understandable in the 2nd post.

It would be good to have some updates when you can too, especially if you've been experiencing some plug issues with other brands.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
I have a set, I did notice my bike starts faster now, I've had mine for just over 5k miles and I'm happy with them. There's a long thread on them over at HD Forums, started out as being a SE plug thread but was jacked, lol.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I have a set, I did notice my bike starts faster now, I've had mine for just over 5k miles and I'm happy with them. There's a long thread on them over at HD Forums, started out as being a SE plug thread but was jacked, lol.
Jacking this thread now....took me three days to read that whole thread.:D

I'll pull them again after our east coast swing here in a few weeks and try to remember to post up some pix of them too.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Curious if they would have any effect on the Delphi knock sensor system?
I wouldn't think so mocotom. The sensor is expected to detect pre-ignition (combustion) before the spark is supposed to happen - looking for an explosion before the spark pulse even gets generated.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Over the years we've tested various insta-power add-ons, on our Dynojet.
Carb screens, power cones, spark plugs, even oil that claimed to jump the power.
None have shown us impressive results, but as far as spark plugs, we have used/stocked NGK plugs for many years now, and used those in our 17.25 cr AHDRA Mod Class bike as well, FWIW.
Scott

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I finally found their website and can now see what they've done:

From my perspective, I don't really see much advantage to the larger conductor itself - standard conductors are already adequate. As for the capacitive element, adding that over-rides any "dwell" the ECM applied and slightly delays spark initiation itself (alters timing). In addition the capacitive element may introduce it's own losses.

In effect, this plug does NOT increase actual power (Watts) but more likely reduces actual true power due to any internal losses introduced by their "capacitive element" itself. What this plug does seem to do is reduce the dwell by storing up the available power (Watts) for a moment and then it releases that stored up power more quickly - a pseudo increase.

Bottom line - the timing change can be adjusted by changing the ECM map but dwell is now defined by the plug instead of the ECM and if the original spark was adequate, then I cannot envision any monumental performance gain.

However, I'm not a truly "up to date" motor-head any more and could use some critique from someone who's more knowledgeable about tuners.

Scott?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

My major issue though is why would they make a claim about "Watts" in the first place? I can't envision any possible major breakthrough in plugs that would make a difference in Watts (electrical power). Their banner ad makes me leery.
I actually don't understand what those folks are getting at Nevadasun.

The ignition system determines the voltage applied and outputs the current (the two factors that relate to electrical power - Watts). The only way a spark plug can increase the actual wattage delivered by the spark itself is by decreasing the resistance of the short conductor that's inside the porcelain insulted part of the plug.

Even if there were some sort of magic that could eliminate every little bit of that resistance (already almost non-existent), the % of improvement in actual performance would probably not be detectable... even using a dyno.

If you're getting reliable spark, you're getting reliable spark plus... If it ain't broke... well... never mind ;).
+1 Electricity isn’t magic anymore you can only get out what you put in; not more but sometime less.:eek:
Electomotive force of 1 volt impressed on a resistance of 1 ohm will give a current of 1 amp = 1 watt of power.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
+1 Electricity isn’t magic anymore you can only get out what you put in; not more but sometime less.:eek:
Electomotive force of 1 volt impressed on a resistance of 1 ohm will give a current of 1 amp = 1 watt of power.
Yep - Georg Ohm, James Watt, and Albert Einstein all agree too - 'ya just can't get sumpin' for nuttin' and Watts don't just materialize out of thin air either.

:D

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I finally found their website and can now see what they've done:

From my perspective, I don't really see much advantage to the larger conductor itself - standard conductors are already adequate. As for the capacitive element, adding that over-rides any "dwell" the ECM applied and slightly delays spark initiation itself (alters timing). In addition the capacitive element may introduce it's own losses.

In effect, this plug does NOT increase actual power (Watts) but more likely reduces actual true power due to any internal losses introduced by their "capacitive element" itself. What this plug does seem to do is reduce the dwell by storing up the available power (Watts) for a moment and then it releases that stored up power more quickly - a pseudo increase.

Bottom line - the timing change can be adjusted by changing the ECM map but dwell is now defined by the plug instead of the ECM and if the original spark was adequate, then I cannot envision any monumental performance gain.

However, I'm not a truly "up to date" motor-head any more and could use some critique from someone who's more knowledgeable about tuners.

Scott?

You present a ton of logic to this, that I basically cannot add to.
I agree.
Scott

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
You present a ton of logic to this, that I basically cannot add to.
I agree.
Scott
Thanks for your review Scott. Like I said, I'm honestly not up-to-speed with what the new tuners can compensate for but you already posted in this thread and I know you are indeed up-to-speed. Appreciate the response.

We'll have to wait for Ohiobellboy to check back in after his trip and see if he discovered anything about better reliability in his CVO. I'm actually surprised at how poor his plug reliability was before installing these new plugs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
WARNING!:eek: After reading this thread and others, I have taken a look at my plugs. I have had the Pulstars in my bike for about 8000 miles or so. At FIRST everything was great, bike seemed to have a little better response as far as acceleration, and did see an improvement in mileage. Recently however, I noticed my bike seemed to be running hotter than normal. I almost chalked it up to the fact that it's in the high 90's to low 100's here. This seeming increasing in heat took place over a couple of months so I didn't really notice it too much. Then Monday riding home from work I took a short ride and could feel my right inside thigh and calf seemed to just be to the point of melting flesh...okay maybe not that hot, but hot just the same. The last time my bike got that hot I was stuck in Austin traffic, for those that don't know, I35 is a parking lot in Austin. So last night I took them out after reading more about them. While looking at them it was clear that the one in the front cylinder had gotten very hot. So I switched them out with some nearly new NGK plugs I took out. Low and behold today after work the heat issue was almost completely gone. Now I am not a tech by any means, but I believe these plugs caused my tuner (Cobra Fi200 PowrPro) to lean my fuel mix way up causing the heat issue. Not positive about that. All I know is that my bike was running WAY too hot with these plugs. Scary thing is that it took place over months....had I not caught this thread and began to read others, I most likely wouldn't have believed that these plugs caused the motor to run that hot. I am glad that I caught it, I could have been riding somewhere and burned that motor up without even realizing what happened. If any of you are running these plugs I strongly suggest lloking at them....As for me, Plain old plugs from now on. No More of this Snake Oil crap....Bad Product and should not be used...IMHO Thanks to all of you for helping me save my motor from certain detonation....lol

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Iridium or standard?

Over the years we've tested various insta-power add-ons, on our Dynojet.
Carb screens, power cones, spark plugs, even oil that claimed to jump the power.
None have shown us impressive results, but as far as spark plugs, we have used/stocked NGK plugs for many years now, and used those in our 17.25 cr AHDRA Mod Class bike as well, FWIW.
Scott
Scott, just curious do you guys prefer the Iridium or Standard plugs??

·
Registered
8 Posts
All late model Harleys use Ion sensing technology thru, the spark plug to control spark knock. I dont fully understand the technology but anything other than the correct resistance that the ECM understands, could have negative effects. Why mess with it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts