Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Chief Safety Ossifer , CEO Doofus HD
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "purchase day checklist" has two key items:

1. When you test the front brake does it squirt brake fluid all over the fender into a puddle on the showroom floor?

2. Same bike as above - when you get it to the house - have a quick lunch - do you find the engine oil on the garage floor?

This was 2004 at Patriot HD in Fairfax Va. my first road glide. And the last bike I'd buy from them.

looking forward to your purchase day checklist !

CEO, DOOFUS HD

· Registered
2021 RGS
480 Posts
Aug
2016 brand new SGS. Left the dealership and almost home,stopped at stop sign,bike starts running like shit and my gut is in knots thinking I just bought a turd.Get home,call the dealership they tell me it went into limp mode from the heat.I turned it off and all was good. Scared me there for a bit.

· Registered
8,920 Posts
Bring one or two Harley haters with you to keep things in perspective that you are buying a machine, not a lifestyle. They will gladly knit pick the bike you are interested in and point out any flaws you may not notice.

· Registered
7,741 Posts
Look it over make sure insurance is in effect and ride if anything is going to leak or fall off it will be around 500 miles.
If you hit start button and nothing happens check the kill switch.
if you are coming from an older bike or a non Touring modle . Look up what all those lights in the gauges. mean. Like if you have RDRS and you see HC on yellow light up.
7 RG's never had any go into limp mode from heat .

Reactions: DOOFUS and NCPiper

· Registered
4,729 Posts
When I got the RGU home, went inside for a drink, came back out and noticed oil under the bike. Thought that I'd bought an old bike that leaked. Long story short, rode it up to the dealer, pulled into service, they took it back and a few minutes returned it. They found an O ring was tore up and replaced it, never an issue since.

1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drop it in the parking lot before you leave. Just get that out of the way. 🤣

The day mine was delivered I dropped it in the driveway. :cautious:o_O
You mean like the Service Porter who dropped my 16 CVO Road Glide???

· Registered
10,566 Posts
My "purchase day checklist" has two key items:

1. When you test the front brake does it squirt brake fluid all over the fender into a puddle on the showroom floor?

2. Same bike as above - when you get it to the house - have a quick lunch - do you find the engine oil on the garage floor?

This was 2004 at Patriot HD in Fairfax Va. my first road glide. And the last bike I'd buy from them.

looking forward to your purchase day checklist !

CEO, DOOFUS HD
Bring your checkbook

• Haha
Reactions: DOOFUS

1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ouch! I was testing the lean limits. Went a bit to far
I was standing right there. Watching him bring it out. Just like a car accident...everything went into slo mo. He quickly tried to pick it up -- I said, "No, go get the Service Manager. I want him to see this and WE will check for damage!"

· Registered
2019 RGS
6,567 Posts
I was standing right there. Watching him bring it out. Just like a car accident...everything went into slo mo. He quickly tried to pick it up -- I said, "No, go get the Service Manager. I want him to see this and WE will check for damage!"
That's the only thing to do there. Don't touch it, get your boss.
Watched a kid at my dealership do the same thing. Now he's one of the techs in the back. lol So glad I do all my own work.

Had a guy on a forklift go into my trailer to unload computer main frames. Each rack had 20 Skuzzy HDs (BIG MONEY) as they were all full of data. So not just hardware cost. Data. He tipped one over and it slammed to the ground. He jumped off and asked me to help him pick it up. Hell No, Call your boss, I am calling mine and I am taking pics. Found out that was valued at well over 100k. Not sure if there was data loss. But No way I was hiding that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts