Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put SE Stage II Torque last month. It includes cam and push rods.

Now the bike goes much better than before. However, the push rods sound a lot. I can hear them all the time.

At the begining, I did not know it was the push rods, I just heard a strong sound coming out of the engine. My dealer told me that the sound is made by the push rods, as they as much thicker than the stock ones.

Has anyone noticed the same?

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
Your going to hear a little bit more top end noise with a performance build. Yes if the PR are out of adjustment they will make more noise then normal but some of the top end noise you hear is from the cam upgrade. I don't know what cam you used but a performance cam will lift the valves higher and have more aggressive drop off on the cams ramps causing the valves to SNAP shut more aggressively which creates more top end noise.

Reactions: Rubimad

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Ironmark is correct that a higher performance cam will make more noise but I did the torque cam in my fat bob 114" and there was no difference in noise. I would double check the adjustment of the pushrods to make sure they are at the length they need to be. If the are then it could just be the way it is. Every engine is different and just because one doesn't make anymore noise with the same upgrade doesn't mean another one won't. If the dealer is saying that the noise is normal then I wouldn't worry too much as you are still under warranty.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ironmark is correct that a higher performance cam will make more noise but I did the torque cam in my fat bob 114" and there was no difference in noise. I would double check the adjustment of the pushrods to make sure they are at the length they need to be. If the are then it could just be the way it is. Every engine is different and just because one doesn't make anymore noise with the same upgrade doesn't mean another one won't. If the dealer is saying that the noise is normal then I wouldn't worry too much as you are still under warranty.
The dealer says that they have changed push rod for the SE ones which are much thicker than the stock one, so they make more noise.

Thanks

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your going to hear a little bit more top end noise with a performance build. Yes if the PR are out of adjustment they will make more noise then normal but some of the top end noise you hear is from the cam upgrade. I don't know what cam you used but a performance cam will lift the valves higher and have more aggressive drop off on the cams ramps causing the valves to SNAP shut more aggressively which creates more top end noise.
I think you are right. Thanks

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The dealer says that they have changed push rod for the SE ones which are much thicker than the stock one, so they make more noise.

Thanks
Yes I know this. I installed the SE adjustable pushrods with my cam swap. Did they install the SE adjustable pushrods or perfect fit pushrods?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I know this. I installed the SE adjustable pushrods with my cam swap. Did they install the SE adjustable pushrods or perfect fit pushrods?
They have installed the SE Stage II Kit part number 92500047 that includes a SE Torque Cam and Adjustable Push Rods.

·
Registered
958 Posts
When they do the Cam they use adjustable push rods to save a complete tear down - if they are adjusted properly there should not be a lot of noise difference - have them take a look at it, adjustable means just that, it's not rocket science to adjust them - easily done if it needs correction they can do it - obviously performance mods may increase engine noise - understandable - but for what you pay them if your concerned have them take a look at it......

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
452 Posts
Whats the link to buy the SE Stage II. Do I need to tune it? I have a stage 1 kit right now with Vance and Hines and its tuned as well by a power commander. Do I need to retune it if an install is made? Also, can SE go with the Vance and Hines or should I keep it strictly Vance and Hines if there is even such a thing?

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Whats the link to buy the SE Stage II. Do I need to tune it? I have a stage 1 kit right now with Vance and Hines and its tuned as well by a power commander. Do I need to retune it if an install is made? Also, can SE go with the Vance and Hines or should I keep it strictly Vance and Hines if there is even such a thing?
Yes you will need a tune. Go to HDs online store under Screamin Eagle for the part. There are two: torque and horsepower. I don't think there is a problem with mixing Vance and Hines and screamin eagle but I let someone with more expertise than me answer that question.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Would Torque be more wear and tear long term vs power. I plan to keep the bike for 10 years or more and ride it as much as possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts