Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I have to say my new build runs awesome 103, stock pistons, Veetwin performance street port,10:1 compression, Crane Cams chevy lifters, SE non tapered pushrods. I adjusted my pushrods 3 turns down and the valvetrain noise is obnoxious! The motor runs smooth as silk other than the noise. The power with this setup is really cool! I'm not sure if I'm bottoming out the lifter and need to loosen it up or try tightening them a flat at a time. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Well I can tell you this on my 2011 fltrx with a 96 inch motor I did cams , same rods non-tapered as you did and S&S premium lifters and had noise, the HD paperwork said 2.5 turns I think, but when I call S&S they recomm 3.5 turns did that and the noise was gone, seems like these lifters needed more adjustment, but that solved my problem, hope this helps.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does help. It also helps to know you have S&S premiums because that seems to be as good as you can get yet you still had a similar issue. I guess I'll crank it down another half turn.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Subscribed

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I have the SE push rods and i set mine at 3 turns running Fueling lifters and 574 lift cams,this motor is super quite.

·
Registered
809 Posts
First off I have to say my new build runs awesome 103, stock pistons, Veetwin performance street port,10:1 compression, Crane Cams chevy lifters, SE non tapered pushrods. I adjusted my pushrods 3 turns down and the valvetrain noise is obnoxious! The motor runs smooth as silk other than the noise. The power with this setup is really cool! I'm not sure if I'm bottoming out the lifter and need to loosen it up or try tightening them a flat at a time. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
First you need to figure out what the TPI of your PR's are, they are generally 24 or 32 TPI. I set mine .140 in the whole from zero lash. the math formula is..... number of flats=how deep you set them/[1"/(tpi*6)]... in my case #of flates=.140/(tpi*6)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
You didn't mention what cams you're running, but some of them can be very noisy simply because of their fast ramp geometry.
What cams are they??

Somethings else, and I see you got this answer another forum, take a look at this.
Rockouts home
While not a total fix to the twin cam clatter, myself and a local friend have installed these in our 110s and they do work
to eliminate a large portion of the noise that many of use experience in the 2500-3500rpm range.

·
Registered
12 Posts
when doing my build I took into consideration that Harley doesn't include adjustable push rods in any of their kits, I'm assuming that this is because they can leave you stranded at the side of the road a 1000 miles from home and they don't want to be responsible, as for the lifters I also am running HD lifters..if I'm down and get hauled into a dealer I want them just to be able to walk into there parts stock and pick stuff off the shelf to get me mobile again...just a thought....had a Sportster that I ran all aftermarket and when it was down they didn't have supplies on hand........this is just for your consideration.
cheers

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
when doing my build I took into consideration that Harley doesn't include adjustable push rods in any of their kits, I'm assuming that this is because they can leave you stranded at the side of the road a 1000 miles from home and they don't want to be responsible, as for the lifters I also am running HD lifters..if I'm down and get hauled into a dealer I want them just to be able to walk into there parts stock and pick stuff off the shelf to get me mobile again...just a thought....had a Sportster that I ran all aftermarket and when it was down they didn't have supplies on hand........this is just for your consideration.cheers

You can walk into a Chevy dealer or auto parts store anywhere in the country and buy lifters for a Harley twin cam motor.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which lifters sj?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
No pony in the race, and anyone can do it however they want, but we use S&S std. lifters loaded to .140" on most and when using agressive cams/large lift cams, we use S&S premium lifters.
Very quiet, 99% of the time, on almost a daily basis.
Scott

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Are you sure since you didn't do valve relief, the valves aren't barely hitting the pistons?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Did you pump the lifters up before you installed them? If not the they will sound like they are going to tear the whole side out of the motor till they pump up....several minutes. Running the S&S premiums and the HD non tapered pushrods set at 3.25 flats and all is quit with the 260 cam

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You didn't mention what cams you're running, but some of them can be very noisy simply because of their fast ramp geometry.
What cams are they??

Somethings else, and I see you got this answer another forum, take a look at this.
Rockouts home
While not a total fix to the twin cam clatter, myself and a local friend have installed these in our 110s and they do work
to eliminate a large portion of the noise that many of use experience in the 2500-3500rpm range.
I installed the rockouts when I put this back together. I am running the 57H cams. I have heard on the HTT forumn that this cam creates intake noise especially while running the big sucker intake like I am doing.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did pump the lifters up and turned the motor by hand until I saw oil come out the top end. I then put the rocker covers on. I also had plenty of assy lube on the lifters and tops of the valves themselves. I put oil on the top and bottom of the push rods prior to install and they felt slick.

The motor runs awesome. So much better than stock. IT BREATHS. The power comes on strong around 3000 rpm but doesn't hesitate at all. The only problem is this noise. Which may be the intake. Weird. Why would the intake make more noise than stock? I mean ticking noise.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I installed the rockouts when I put this back together. I am running the 57H cams. I have heard on the HTT forumn that this cam creates intake noise especially while running the big sucker intake like I am doing.
I saw that, but of all the ones I've heard, that is untrue. All injectors without the Harley cover with a more open style make the injectors noise and or the butterfly flapping a little.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Did you pump the lifters up before you installed them? If not the they will sound like they are going to tear the whole side out of the motor till they pump up....several minutes. Running the S&S premiums and the HD non tapered pushrods set at 3.25 flats and all is quit with the 260 cam
+1 on this 3.25 to 3.50 turns, non tapered SE pushrods have 24 TPI, should not have any lifter/tappet noise out of them, but yes some cams are louder than other.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just wanted to do an update. I have found some ticking in the exhaust heat shields and I think the rest might be from the intake. I'm not sure but the bike runs smoother than it ever has so I'm going to roll with it. I love my setup and Kirby at Veetwin delivered. I would recommend him if you need any machine work done.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I figured out my ticking noise as I adjusted my lifters for a 3rd time.
SE non tapered 2 1/2 turns down. When I was adjusting I noticed that one wasn't holding oil pressure. Usually it takes 10-15 seconds a quarter turn to let them bleed down. Not so with one lifter so I adjusted it almost bottomed out and will replace it next time. It is the quietest it's been so far. It's been fun learning how this stuff works. I will be replacing all four with GMR Performance lifters when I can afford it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts