Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At least in Dollars. My 1996 FB is part of the family. One bike that has never left. Looking at NADA no one is paying $7,700 for a 1996 in very good condition it appears to me the price listed under good is more in line with the real world. Not even looking at the crazy Excellent price. I bring this up because it went bang in the transmission awhile back. Dropped it off at HD. Under current conditions they could use the work. It was what I expected gears broke and took out the transmission . It needs everything . And at 24 with the factory belt and sprockets on it may as well do them. Fact is by time it is all done the parts and labor even with a break on labor is going to add up likely to more than the bike is worth. At least on the market. I not going through all this and put used of cheap parts in.
Did not take me long to explain it all to my wife. She was not interested in hearing anything but getting it fix. So that is all good. Made it clear I want if fixed right . It has been with us to long to let it go. Or stick it in the bike room only to turn up a broke barn find someday. My thinking is get it done. Latter go through the engine freshen it up That all is good as is now.. Maybe change the appearance up a bit. Have so fun with it. Nothing I can't put back to factory.
At least when I am gone the sons even grandson can fire it right up and ride.
Wonder what a wide tire swing arm kit would run it never ends does it?

Excellent$11,825
Very Good$7,770
Good$3,575
Fair$1,680

·
Registered
921 Posts
For the work, could you not let an indy do the work for allot less? HD labor is outrageous! You can save lots of cash on that alone.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
764 Posts
Speaking as a guy with north of 9k in a 1981 Shovelhead... :D

Before you put another stock trans in it. They do make a close ratio 6 speed overdrive (5th is still 1:1) trans for those that is really nice...and they're not bad on price either. I'm turning about 2,100 at 60 mph in OD on the Shovel now.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Indy not any real lower cost at least a good one . I have little faith in most indys. I know some good ones but they are few and far between. The dealership is small family owned one. Been an out standing member of our community for over 60 years. I have never paid the publish rate at the dealership been with them to long . As for 6 speed I saw no real reason and want to keep as is for the most part.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I can't sympathize with you.

The longest I have kept a motorcycle is 6 years and 60,000 miles. My average is 3 years/30,000 miles. That average is going to drop over time because I am only riding maybe 5,000 - 7,000 miles a year now. I am itching for a new bike, but do not want to part with anything I currently have.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Fix it if you like it.
The more new bike horror stories I hear, the better an Evolution or Twin Cam sounds.
There's a lot to be said about durability.
New motors / transmissions are not a lot of money compared to the $30k cub for a new bike.
The folks at S&S build some pretty strong stuff under $10k.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If you love it fix it and ride it, I’m into my 11 FLTRX for over 70k , I have no desire to sell it. If the day comes I want a new bike I’d give this bike to my brother before I’d sell it for what I’d get out of it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I understand completely what you are doing. I have three bikes and two of them I don't see me ever parting with. My 93 FLHS got some updates a few years ago. I put a couple grand into a bike that on a good day I could get 5k out of if I was going to sell. It makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is already a part in the shop. Never any doubt in this house it would be fixed. There were likely a few days early on when it was a second or third bike here. And it did cross my mind a few times to sell it off.
But I never acted on it. I will let the next generation decide what to do with it. I will always enjoy riding it . Even if I can not tell you why.
Even now if you do the math purchase, cost to maintain it, still the lowest cost bike I have ever owned.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Another option is a clean low mileage used transmission. Look on facebook marketplace, craigslist, etc. for a parted out bike or totaled bike. Chances are the transmission will be unscathed from a wreck.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another option is a clean low mileage used transmission. Look on facebook marketplace, craigslist, etc. for a parted out bike or totaled bike. Chances are the transmission will be unscathed from a wreck.
That was on my mind. Then said the heck with it do everything inside with new parts They offer some good gear sets for these bikes. There is a very good chance I trashed.it There were times I fly the car when it had a side car on it for more than a couple miles. I made the bike earn it's keep. It may have been starving for lube. All the stuff hung on the bike has been there from day one. Watch the HD TV channel this evening I was staring at a first production Fatboy Nothing extra hung on it. That image is stuck in my head right now.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Fix it , crap there's three bikes I still kick myself for selling , I tend to hang on to them and at my age this 11 is a keeper , much cheeper to keep it up than buying a new one , would love a new RG , but don't want to spend the money ..

JtB

·
Registered
53 Posts
At least in Dollars. My 1996 FB is part of the family. One bike that has never left. Looking at NADA no one is paying $7,700 for a 1996 in very good condition it appears to me the price listed under good is more in line with the real world. Not even looking at the crazy Excellent price. I bring this up because it went bang in the transmission awhile back. Dropped it off at HD. Under current conditions they could use the work. It was what I expected gears broke and took out the transmission . It needs everything . And at 24 with the factory belt and sprockets on it may as well do them. Fact is by time it is all done the parts and labor even with a break on labor is going to add up likely to more than the bike is worth. At least on the market. I not going through all this and put used of cheap parts in.
Did not take me long to explain it all to my wife. She was not interested in hearing anything but getting it fix. So that is all good. Made it clear I want if fixed right . It has been with us to long to let it go. Or stick it in the bike room only to turn up a broke barn find someday. My thinking is get it done. Latter go through the engine freshen it up That all is good as is now.. Maybe change the appearance up a bit. Have so fun with it. Nothing I can't put back to factory.
At least when I am gone the sons even grandson can fire it right up and ride.
Wonder what a wide tire swing arm kit would run it never ends does it?

Excellent$11,825
Very Good$7,770
Good$3,575
Fair$1,680
I have over $50,000 into a $30,000 car so I can relate. At some point it’s a labor of love.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The title to this thread is the story of my life now and kinda a family legacy around here!!! LOL!!!
At least we admit it.
I have the first option to buy a 1947 HD with sidecar that is in prefect condition for a fair market price from a estate if he goes first. I have had the right for years. Good chance I never see get my hands on it.
Good part the option cost me $1 and a beer .

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
My biggest mistake was in 1980 or so when I was stationed in Pensacola on shore duty , had first dibs on a fully restored 1929 JD74 , $15000 .. E5 making about 6k a year , was a lot of money for me then , might as well been a million dollars ..

JtB

1 - 20 of 51 Posts