Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
When I returned from the last Deployment I had a 1979 Z28 . Had it for years , lot of work and 450 HP . Factory the car was a dog of course. I was tried of it did not do much but fire it up now and then and drive it a bit.
Had a lot of flippers contacting me want to buy it. Of course penny's on the dollar. One smart ass would bug me often . Comments like take the money now you know you will, I can wait ect. I told him I would rather give it away.
A young man that went to school with my sons was living paycheck to paycheck 2 jobs .You know the storyy. He had a 79 that was not in good shape but dreams of fixing it someday. It got totaled by a driver with no insurance and he only got pocket change for it from his. He scarped cars on the side . We had a couple sitting on the hill that needed to go. I called him him told him to come get them free just get them out of here. When he was pulling the second one out I told to come right back. When he did I gave him the title to my Z told to take it home. He still has it to this day.
At least some that will enjoy it got it not some ass try to make a flip. The value in that car was not the money.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Indy not any real lower cost at least a good one . I have little faith in most indys. I know some good ones but they are few and far between. The dealership is small family owned one. Been an out standing member of our community for over 60 years. I have never paid the publish rate at the dealership been with them to long . As for 6 speed I saw no real reason and want to keep as is for the most part.
Ever considered doing the work yourself? Putting a gear set in a Harley trans isn't a tough job. Even spending a little dime on some tools and the parts. That is if you're into working on your own. Just think about the sentimental value it has now vs when you've done all the work on it yourself. You'll never let it go. The real cost saving option is if the dealer is willing to extend you parts at cost if you have been with them that long and you put in the time and effort. There are people on this forum that would be willing to answer any questions you had about anything you were trying to do and youtube has volumes of information. Mostly useless because when I go to look nobody has a video posted about it ha ha ha.

Like some other guys were saying, money is money you can't take it with you when you go and what better than to spend it on a motorcycle you love even if it is too much money.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ever considered doing the work yourself? Putting a gear set in a Harley trans isn't a tough job. Even spending a little dime on some tools and the parts. That is if you're into working on your own. Just think about the sentimental value it has now vs when you've done all the work on it yourself. You'll never let it go. The real cost saving option is if the dealer is willing to extend you parts at cost if you have been with them that long and you put in the time and effort. I'm not going to assume your mechanical ability just because you took it to the dealership but there are people on this forum that would be willing to answer any questions you had about anything you were trying to do and youtube has volumes of information. Mostly useless because when I go to look nobody has a video posted about it ha ha ha.

Like some other guys were saying, money is money you can't take it with you when you go and what better than to spend it on a motorcycle you love even if it is too much money.
Had been my plan. Home schooling and caring for Payton makes tacking it to much. Every time I start to do anything something comes up. plus right now I sure the shop could use the work. Normal times it would be busy right now. I have the Shop manual for it. HD transmission are not overly complicated. With the sidecars staying full time on the others . I really want to ride the FB this summer .

·
Registered
93 Posts
My biggest mistake was in 1980 or so when I was stationed in Pensacola on shore duty , had first dibs on a fully restored 1929 JD74 , $15000 .. E5 making about 6k a year , was a lot of money for me then , might as well been a million dollars ..

JtB
Had the pleasure of knowing the late Wayne Blazek. His uncle left him a ratted out JDL.
Wayne restored it WAY better than new with the help of John R.
In 1928, Harley didn't use paint anywhere near this quality. Kept nickel plated lines - there was no chrome in that era.
Found the saddle company for a new hide. Flawless.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Andrew Gears set and rest of the parts showed up end of the week. It should be done soon. While under the governors orders they have some work but not what it would normally be by a long shot..
No rush right now . But I do have a urge to ride it.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I put a Baker 6 in my EVO. Lower first is nice leaving the light when two up. 6th on the freeway is quieter and you can put on a extra 50 miles a day. Best mod I made on that bike.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Little update . There was a crack in the trap door. I was not interested in welding. They tracked down a replacement. With the virus shut down the tech took a weeks vacation. I had already told them I was in no hurry. It should be done soon.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It is done and home. Sounds like a lot but I did have all the normal wear parts like Transmission Sprocket, rear sprocket belt while it was in there. New trap door add some to it. replaced everything inside.
Seems a peace broke of a gear and started a chain reaction . Total came to $3,200. I'm ok with so all is good added back to cost of ownership over 24 years still been a dam good bike.
Felt great to ride it home. Payton was happy to have it home . Her first sidecar was mounted to it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It is done and home. Sounds like a lot but I did have all the normal wear parts like Transmission Sprocket, rear sprocket belt while it was in there. New trap door add some to it. replaced everything inside.
Seems a peace broke of a gear and started a chain reaction . Total came to $3,200. I'm ok with so all is good added back to cost of ownership over 24 years still been a dam good bike.
Felt great to ride it home. Payton was happy to have it home . Her first sidecar was mounted to it.
Glad it’s home how’s about a pic of the Old Girl

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
For those interested some pictures of the parts. No way of knowing what gear or part failed first. Some of the parts maybe could have been saved but a half ass job was not going to happen.
bearing were in good shape but all replaced.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49899348146_7e2bd9b91a.jpg[/img
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49899658347_3ebf92ab9a.jpg

·
Registered
406 Posts
Does this mean my 91 GMC stepside is worth several hundred thousand dollars. Oh and 1 plate, 1 glass, and 1 knife, fork, and spoon that I had before I got married.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 51 Posts