Road Glide banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Had the pleasure of knowing the late Wayne Blazek. His uncle left him a ratted out JDL.
Wayne restored it WAY better than new with the help of John R.
In 1928, Harley didn't use paint anywhere near this quality. Kept nickel plated lines - there was no chrome in that era.
Found the saddle company for a new hide. Flawless.

I told my wife there will be 3 barn finds when I die and all 3 will be road ready. God willing we will keep them up until we are gone. No rusted up broken down bike in the corner.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
LOL, I like that, first time I ever heard of a divorce settlement included in the value of a vehicle.
Given the sheer amount of spite involved, I feel it's allowable. The ex hated the bike, wouldn't be a passenger, and couldn't ride, but she made it a point to try to take it in the divorce.

·
Registered
369 Posts
At least in Dollars. My 1996 FB is part of the family. One bike that has never left. Looking at NADA no one is paying $7,700 for a 1996 in very good condition it appears to me the price listed under good is more in line with the real world. Not even looking at the crazy Excellent price. I bring this up because it went bang in the transmission awhile back. Dropped it off at HD. Under current conditions they could use the work. It was what I expected gears broke and took out the transmission . It needs everything . And at 24 with the factory belt and sprockets on it may as well do them. Fact is by time it is all done the parts and labor even with a break on labor is going to add up likely to more than the bike is worth. At least on the market. I not going through all this and put used of cheap parts in.
Did not take me long to explain it all to my wife. She was not interested in hearing anything but getting it fix. So that is all good. Made it clear I want if fixed right . It has been with us to long to let it go. Or stick it in the bike room only to turn up a broke barn find someday. My thinking is get it done. Latter go through the engine freshen it up That all is good as is now.. Maybe change the appearance up a bit. Have so fun with it. Nothing I can't put back to factory.
At least when I am gone the sons even grandson can fire it right up and ride.
Wonder what a wide tire swing arm kit would run it never ends does it?

Excellent$11,825
Very Good$7,770
Good$3,575
Fair$1,680
The minute I bought mine I had more in it than it was worth.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Your post made me stop and think...…….And yes, I got more into every vehicle I currently own, than they are worth.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My biggest mistake was in 1980 or so when I was stationed in Pensacola on shore duty , had first dibs on a fully restored 1929 JD74 , $15000 .. E5 making about 6k a year , was a lot of money for me then , might as well been a million dollars ..

JtBi had a 47 knucklehead-53 panhead-a simplex ?-62 vette-68 roadrunner-where did they all go-I would be very happy with just one of them

·
Registered
921 Posts
When i was 20, just met my now wife, I always been into old cars. I found a dealership that had all old cars in town. Various states of completion. All were average prices.

They had a 2 door 59 white Cadillac comtvertible for sale for 11k. And a 60 white 2 door hardtop for 9k for sale. The convertible needed the chrome redone and the hardtop needed a new interior. Thats it! Paint was great for both. A good buffing and they would of been fine. No clue on the motors though. I always think that if I bought both of them how much they are worth now...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I've got somewhere near 50k in my Night Train (original price, mods, divorce settlement). That bike's going nowhere as long as I'm drawing breath.

I highly recommend the S/E 6-speed if that'll fit.
I’m in the same boat with my 1999 Wide Glide, tons of upgrades including 117” & also put a 6 speed SE in it.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts