Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the great reviews on this site, the helpful staff at Fuel Moto, and my obsessive, compulsive nature to not let anything go... I talked with Brian at Fuel Moto on Monday and my Power Vision has been ordered and should be here tomorrow.

Originally was going to wait and do a TTS and dyno tune when I did my cams. After researching and reading reviews, I decided to go with the Power Vision. I'm pretty excited and hope I'm not disappointed. I've read nothing but great reviews on the Power Vision, other than a couple of hiccups or isolated issues. I'm curious if the improved tune will be noticeable with my current stage I upgrades. Also, hopefully will be an easy transition when I replace cams this winter.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to the great folks on this forum. I'll let you know the results of my seat of the pants test.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Former TTS user also, but the PV does all of that plus, and it's easier to use. Does data logging and displays the autotune history on screen rather than having to carry a laptop and a remote display as you do with the TTS. The PV does require a laptop or desktop to use it to it's full extent, but many users can do a lot without the laptop.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question for the users then... other than flashing FM's map when I get it, is there any other adjustments or changes I should do right off the bat? Rev limiter? or is that already done int he map? Anything else?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you bought it from Fuel Moto, it will come with a map that they have loaded in the tune index based on the specifications you gave them. The rev limit will already in the tune program (probably about 6200 rpm). Instructions to begin use are basic and easy to follow.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Cool and congrats! I went from a ThunderMax to the PV and LOVE IT!! I encouraged my buddy to order one for this '09 and this week we installed and HE LOVES IT!!!

You'll LOVE IT!!!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Cool and congrats! I went from a ThunderMax to the PV and LOVE IT!! I encouraged my buddy to order one for this '09 and this week we installed and HE LOVES IT!!!

You'll LOVE IT!!!!
If I may, comparing TM and PV what did you guys love about it?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've never liked "add-on" products; which add another failure point. On my '03 I went with the HD Race Tuner Flash. It was OK, but I spent more than I ever admit to my wife on trips back to the shop whenever I changed something on the bike. I wanted something I could use to tune but not add a failure point.

So on my '07 I installed the ThunderMax.

It worked GREAT! The support from Zippers is on par with what I've received and heard of Jamie at Moto.

My concern with using the TMax was being on the road with an after market ECU running the bike. So I always carried my stock HD computer just in case.

When I bought my '12 I started hearing about the PV. It addressed everything I was looking for in the Mastertune and more.

I love the ability to modify a tune either on the PC or on the device. The level of control is greater than that which I could modify on the TMax. And I've played with the AutoTune basic and it seems to work as they advertise.

Plus, I've now mounted the device on the bike so I have immediate access to the programs, error codes (thank god none yet) and use the gauges to watch my temp, economy, etc.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I got my PV several months ago, and at first I was a little intimidated. That's because I'm capable of being as dumb as a box of hammers. With the MAP provided from Fuel Moto and a couple Auto Tune Basic rides, the bike runs great. You should be pleased. Let us know.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks for the reply Speedie.

I've used TM on my v-rod with no problems. I guess the failure point is still the same you just have the ability to see what is going on provided you travel with the unit. For me the TM had more tuning functionality than I needed, I just needed the autotune, although it did replace the stock ECM as noted. I have a PCV on my RG now, if I do anything crazy to the engine I may look into this. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The discussion between which is the better tuner will probably be argued forever. Both units do a good job of tuning a/f ratio. They operate on two different systems, the T-max being an alpha-n (does not use the factory map sensor signal) and the Powervision is speed density retaining all the Delphi signals. By retaining the Delphi system the PV can detect engine ping through the factory ion sensing system. It will display the cells where the ping occurred so you can reduce timing in the effected area, and if set-up correctly it can do this automatically. The T-max eliminates the ion sensing function completely, it can not detect engine ping. You can manually adjust the timing on the T-max , but trying to find the effected map cells where the ping occurred with out the use of a dyno is not an easy task. So the major difference is timing. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The discussion between which is the better tuner will probably be argued forever. Both units do a good job of tuning a/f ratio. They operate on two different systems, the T-max being an alpha-n (does not use the factory map sensor signal) and the Powervision is speed density retaining all the Delphi signals. By retaining the Delphi system the PV can detect engine ping through the factory ion sensing system. It will display the cells where the ping occurred so you can reduce timing in the effected area, and if set-up correctly it can do this automatically. The T-max eliminates the ion sensing function completely, it can not detect engine ping. You can manually adjust the timing on the T-max , but trying to find the effected map cells where the ping occurred with out the use of a dyno is not an easy task. So the major difference is timing. Sorry for the long post.
Scooby? jk

Actually, that was interesting, did not know that. TY

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so quick question for after I hook up the PV... It seems like pretty much everyone does a couple of auto tunes to Fuel Moto's map. Do I have to? What am I looking for to know if I should do the autotune or just let it be. I ask because basically I don't want to mess with it if it's already great, if that makes sense. I feel like I could screw up an already good thing. I know you can go back to the original map I guess... I don't know. Just wondering if necessary to mess with it or if it's so freaking close that I should just leave it be.

·
Registered
574 Posts
so quick question for after I hook up the PV... It seems like pretty much everyone does a couple of auto tunes to Fuel Moto's map. Do I have to? What am I looking for to know if I should do the autotune or just let it be. I ask because basically I don't want to mess with it if it's already great, if that makes sense. I feel like I could screw up an already good thing. I know you can go back to the original map I guess... I don't know. Just wondering if necessary to mess with it or if it's so freaking close that I should just leave it be.
Did you buy new O2 sensors? Are they connected?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If the map Jamie sent you is an exact match to the changes you have done, there will not be much to gain. When I put a bike on the Dyno I load the closest map I have for the mods done to the motor, then tune the rpm and load ranges from there. Some areas of the map may be very close and some will need more adjustment. When you run the auto-tune function, you are basically doing the same thing.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the map Jamie sent you is an exact match to the changes you have done, there will not be much to gain. When I put a bike on the Dyno I load the closest map I have for the mods done to the motor, then tune the rpm and load ranges from there. Some areas of the map may be very close and some will need more adjustment. When you run the auto-tune function, you are basically doing the same thing.
So, that helps. So if you have 2 bikes with the exact same mods, will the mapping be different.

I did give Jamie my specks and he sent me the map to match. And it's pretty easy, just an open air filter and a D&D 2-1.

Just didn't know if there was anything to gain or if on any given day, based on the conditions that day, it will find something to tune... if that makes sense.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you buy new O2 sensors? Are they connected?
No I didn't buy new wideband sensors if that is what you were asking. But I do still have the original norrowband sensors installed, which is fine for the autotune basic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts