Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is a 2016 FLTRU with O2 Stock sensors
Following the autotune sections my VEs are settled and the bike seems to ride smooth. I was thinking about spark timing adjustment putting VE learn to 0 and spark learn to 10 in order to have everything aligned, but I saw on Dynojet manual that activating spark learn "ON" with a O2 sensors stock setting is not recommended. Is this reccomendation related to potential damages that might occur, or to the effectiveness of the process in the O2 sensors stock configuration?
Is there any gain in activating the spark learn on a O2 Stock sensors bike?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I had a feedback from Dynojet tech support; they confirmed that using the spark learn feature with stock O2 sensor is not a feature to be used.
As far as concern the .25 retard I'm having in the front cylinder, I went trough the log and made a MAP/RPM table to identify in which area I have the problem realizing it is all trough the mid-range zone.
I will use the quick tune strategy adding 5%. Fuel and -4 spark in the area and see how it goes with a new log as per dynojet procedure for resolving ping issues. As per dynojet instruction I will set the log to highlight the spark event counts and corrections.
Because actually the rear cylinder is fine, if I see something bad happening in that area then I will go back and I will modify the front Cylinder only.
The lesson learned is that with the slip-ons and the K&N filter in the stock housing, the AT narrowband came out perfect automatically while with a full stage 1 AC the powervision requires manual adjustment.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I had a feedback from Dynojet tech support; they confirmed that using the spark learn feature with stock O2 sensor is not a feature to be used.
As far as concern the .25 retard I'm having in the front cylinder, I went trough the log and made a MAP/RPM table to identify in which area I have the problem realizing it is all trough the mid-range zone.
I will use the quick tune strategy adding 5%. Fuel and -4 spark in the area and see how it goes with a new log as per dynojet procedure for resolving ping issues. As per dynojet instruction I will set the log to highlight the spark event counts and corrections.
Because actually the rear cylinder is fine, if I see something bad happening in that area then I will go back and I will modify the front Cylinder only.
The lesson learned is that with the slip-ons and the K&N filter in the stock housing, the AT narrowband came out perfect automatically while with a full stage 1 AC the powervision requires manual adjustment.
Do one thing at a time. Try adding fuel first and see how that works out. If it helps, then take a little timing out to finish it off. Harley takes out almost twice as much timing as it needs to when it sees detonation. So take two points at a time as you try to work it out. Once eliminated , then at 1 degree back and see if it comes back. If not, you've got it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
update:
I started adding 5% fuel with quick tune and had zero spark retard. then I applied -1% spark and again zero spark retard.
the bike ride very smooth, but when at home I checked out the resulting map had an AFR of around 13,7 in the whole midrange. This is not that good for fuel economy.
I assume I have shot flies using a cannonball if I consider I had only a 0.25 retard in the old map.
I will start again with the old map adding 1% fuel at a time and see how it goes.
At least I'm happy because the cure worked out, now it only a matter of dosing the medicine

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the homework, I added the 1% fuel to the map was giving the continuous 0,25 in the front and that is now disappeared.
I did also on the same 0,25 map a 3rd AT session and again the continuos 0,25 is gone.

I made 1hr logs on each map and I only had 1 rear knock in the back cyl on first map and 2 in the front cyl in the 2nd map. In all cases knocks were of a 2.0 size.

Now the question: how many knocks are too many? I remember reading somewhere that 2-3 knocks per ride are to be considered as a routine event.
I would not like to chase a ghost if it is not needed....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts