Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/URL][/IMG]

Winter has settled in, and I finally took my last ride of the season saturday, so now it's time to tear the bike down for the next phase. I bought this Paul Yaffee Custom Chrome 6gal. stretched tank last spring, but have been a little hesitant to switch out the stock tank. Once I opened the tank and realized that I had to seal the tank, I have been concerned with the prospect of tank sealer breaking down and clogging my fuel injection.

Has anyone had any experiences with these P.Y.O. tanks, and the Kreem fuel tank liner kits, either good or bad?

Roger

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Good gawd! Toss that Kreem junk in the garbage and get a 1/2 pint can of POR15 tank sealer and their metal prep treatment. I seal lots of tanks for local shops and we've all found that to be the best sealer yet..

I can't understand at all why Jaffee is pushing Kreem sealer when it's the worst product on the market.

You can also use the por15 metal prep etch on the bare metal outside of your tank before priming it.

POR15 sealer can be bought at auto body supply jobbers for around $18 for the 1/2 pt can.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]

Winter has settled in, and I finally took my last ride of the season saturday, so now it's time to tear the bike down for the next phase. I bought this Paul Yaffee Custom Chrome 6gal. stretched tank last spring, but have been a little hesitant to switch out the stock tank. Once I opened the tank and realized that I had to seal the tank, I have been concerned with the prospect of tank sealer breaking down and clogging my fuel injection.

Has anyone had any experiences with these P.Y.O. tanks, and the Kreem fuel tank liner kits, either good or bad?

Roger
I use Red Kote to seal my tanks and my Yaffee tank as well with no issues..

·
Registered
516 Posts
Good gawd! Toss that Kreem junk in the garbage and get a 1/2 pint can of POR15 tank sealer and their metal prep treatment. I seal lots of tanks for local shops and we've all found that to be the best sealer yet..

I can't understand at all why Jaffee is pushing Kreem sealer when it's the worst product on the market.

You can also use the por15 metal prep etch on the bare metal outside of your tank before priming it.

POR15 sealer can be bought at auto body supply jobbers for around $18 for the 1/2 pt can.
I've heard good things about the Por15, never used it...

This was referred to me when doing my chopper build.
http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

I used it in my garage built pro-street and it sets up like stone..... This stuff won't let go from the tank.... just make sure to get the coverage even cause once it sets it is done.....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, for the great info. Guess I have a couple of Kreem tank liner kits heading for disposal. I thought that it was interesting when I read the Caswell info, they spoke of how to handle re-coating after failed Kreem and Por-15 linings.

Roger

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
The Cr Shops I've been in we sunk the tank, Ni strike, brite Ni(or duplex), Acid Cu, Cu Buff, Ni again then Cr....That looks Satin Cr.. Still a decent shop would rinse the shit outta it just for their bath sake, lots of steps to promote the next step, that said shouldn't leak, as the plating would tell (it's not jap) but the thinest seal as possible, old days thinkin they oil lined them, but leaded gas then, the fuel will never affect good plating

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks all, for the great info. Guess I have a couple of Kreem tank liner kits heading for disposal. I thought that it was interesting when I read the Caswell info, they spoke of how to handle re-coating after failed Kreem and Por-15 linings.

Roger
Ebay those Kreem liner kits.... You'll probably find someone who likes that stuff...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts