Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take a swim in the shark tank!!! Thanks to this forum and it's members I'm now starting the conversion of my '08 Street Glide to a Road Glide. All the parts have arrived or will arrive by Monday 03/03/14. Since I now have the majority of my parts, the disassembly has begun :D

I figured since I'll have the whole front end exposed, now was the time to upgrade the front end. I'm installing the CCE TrueTrac, new chrome lowers and Arlen Ness cow bells.

For bars, I went with Wild1 Chubby 12" Outlawz. I've already wired them and installed Heat Demon grip warmers.

I also have to mock up the PYO Chupa fender so that I can get it painted.

There's a load of little things I'll do while I have the bike down the nice thing is it won't be down long.

Pre Shark!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,331 Posts
I'll be following. ....I love these transformations. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
376 Posts
Awesome man. Good luck to you. Subscribed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fondation Laid

Got the front end torn apart and put back together yesterday. Installed the CCE TourTrac top plate and fork tubes. Installed the Arlen Ness Cow Bells and new chrome lower fork sliders. Installed the "Shark" specific stainless lower ABS brake line. Got the Wild1 Chubby 12" Outlawz on. But most importantly, I got the fairing mounting bracket (foundation) on.

CCE top plate compared to the stock one

If you are running monotubes like I am, you'll need to add another $100 to the cost of the CCE kit for these puppies. They replace the tops of the monotube cartridges to allow for the add two inches of fork tubes.

I really like the Arlen Ness cow bells. They were the first thing my wife noticed when she looked at the bike :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yaffe Chupa fender mock up!

Mocked up the Yaffe Chupa rear fender today. Looks like it fits well. Now it's off to the painter. Can't wait to see the big brown truck tomorrow. My inner and outer fairings, along with my new Mustang seat are scheduled to arrive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Progress Update 3/7/14

Well, as my luck would have it, I received the outer fairing Monday (3/3/14) and the inner fairing is on the FedEx truck for delivery today, Friday (3/7/14).

Sure wish I had known then what I know now. I had order painted parts from Harley in an effort to save time and expense on painting. Well, the outer fairing paint is perfect, except for the silver and red pin striped Road Glide strip on the sides. I figured they would ship the fairing with just the basic paint, not. So in two weeks when I have knee surgery the outer fairing and Yaffe fender are going to the paint shop together.

Since the last post I have opened the primary and installed a new clutch assembly along with an SE clutch spring and new stainless braided clutch cable. Checked the wear on the 2014 SE Compensator and Hayden chain tensioner while i was in there. Both look great after 2,000 miles.

Bled the brakes after installing the FLTR stainless braided ABS lower line.

I modified one of the S&S Power Tune Duals crossover brackets to allow me to use my Progressive Suspensions TourLink.

Got the fall away fine tuned after installing the CCE TourTrac upper triple tree and fork tubes.

Yesterday I temporarily installed the radio bracket, radio and fairing interconnect wiring harness and made sure all my wiring from the handle bars worked. Interestingly I had read a post on the road glide.org forums about someone having their volume control work backwards after a bar change. Well, I too had this problem. Thanks to that post i swapped two wire around in the connector and all is good. The Heat Demon grip heaters work nicely too!!! The only thing I couldn't check was the cruise control function, but I think if everything else worked, that shouldn't be an issue.

Put my new Mustang Wide Tripper with Driver Backrest in Diamond Stitch solo seat and passenger pillion on and really like the look and feel of the seat.

I just need to make a check list now so that once the inner fairing is on later today I can go over everything I've done one more time to make sure it's all tight and to spec.

If it weren't for the waiting this is a pretty straight forward conversion. There is a little more to it than the Harley parts if you're running different bars and cables, but very do able and after selling my Street Glide stuff not a bad expense. Surely much cheaper than buying another bike.

Now I'm looking at the DIY air ride that others have done

I'll post some more pictures either later today or tomorrow of my progress.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Mocked up the Yaffe Chupa rear fender today. Looks like it fits well. Now it's off to the painter. Can't wait to see the big brown truck tomorrow. My inner and outer fairings, along with my new Mustang seat are scheduled to arrive.

Is their adjustment in the bags and rear fender to make the exhaust openings line up better? Or would you have to add/cut the bags/fender?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is their adjustment in the bags and rear fender to make the exhaust openings line up better? Or would you have to add/cut the bags/fender?
I've tried adjusting both the bags and the fender. I think the fender is made to line up with Yaffe's bags or other aftermarket bags. I'm going to give it another shot before I get it painted. I'm not sure if I want to cut on the fender. I may just live with the difference. It may not be as noticeable when the bike is on the ground and the paint matches (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Felt like a little kid on Christmas morning when I saw the FedEx truck pull up to the house. The last piece of the puzzle has arrived. Now to get this thing together!!!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've tried adjusting both the bags and the fender. I think the fender is made to line up with Yaffe's bags or other aftermarket bags. I'm going to give it another shot before I get it painted. I'm not sure if I want to cut on the fender. I may just live with the difference. It may not be as noticeable when the bike is on the ground and the paint matches (fingers crossed).
Oh ok. I wasn't sure how much if any adjustment their was. I see a lot of bikes with the same issue.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts