Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know the paint code for the 2016 Quartz Black Road Glide Special? I am having a friend paint some lowers for me.

Bspencer

·
Registered
927 Posts
PPG has not realeased the new color formulas yet, but it will definetly be a "PPG factory pack order only" when they do and the current pricing is around $250 a pint and has to come from the PPG Cleavland plant.
Interested in having inner fairing painted and had the same question. Cosmic Blue Pearl, same situation as OP. Took a look at your FAQs. Obviously we're talking about proprietary paint codes. What does a "PPG factory pack order only" mean for us every day consumers and how does this paint differ from what the HD dealership may have access to? You mention you never use dealership paint. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Interested in having inner fairing painted and had the same question. Cosmic Blue Pearl, same situation as OP. Took a look at your FAQs. Obviously we're talking about proprietary paint codes. What does a "PPG factory pack order only" mean for us every day consumers and how does this paint differ from what the HD dealership may have access to? You mention you never use dealership paint. Thanks!
To order a PPG "factory pack" basecoat color you go to your local PPG auto body supply jobber and they will call PPG to order your color from the PPG Cleveland plant, the cost includes shipping to your local jobber, I have done this many times and it only takes a few days via FedEx.
The main reason for this is that the local jobbers don't have the specific toners on their mixing bank to create some of the special effects in the later year colors that HD has.

The HD parts counter paints are are just an activated acrylic un-cleared paint that just mimics the single stage or tri-coat base/clear paint process and rarely (if ever) matches or even looks good depth or color clarity wise. Over the years I've had guys bring me many failed attempts at using the parts counter paints so I could redo it the correct way for them.

·
Registered
927 Posts
To order a PPG "factory pack" basecoat color you go to your local PPG auto body supply jobber and they will call PPG to order your color from the PPG Cleveland plant

The HD parts counter paints are are just an activated acrylic un-cleared paint that just mimics the single stage or tri-coat base/clear paint process and rarely (if ever) matches or even looks good depth or color clarity wise.
So the special paint HD dealerships get is not only a different paint but probably from a different supplier? I'll have to call their go to paint guy (apparently has an excellent reputation here), and see which paint he has. He recently did a special project bike in CBP, and want to say HD authorized release of the paint for it. They were going to use what he had left over (about a pint) to paint my bike. I'll have to call their painter and determine which paint he has. Also interested in a different rear fender from HD, but it comes primed not painted, so will have to order more paint anyway. Thanks for the info. Very informative and good to know.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I haven't checked but assume the 2016 Black Quartz is the same as the 2015 Black Quartz. I bought a quart from my ppg store for less than 150.00 in June and put it on this sporty. #910647
Beautiful color in the sun.
First of all, nice job on those tins!

Secondly, I thought I understood, but realize now, I'm even more confused. The previous quote is $250 a pint for a PPG "factory pack order only". Yours was $150 for a quart. Why the major difference in price?

Previous post states "The dealership counter paints are are just an activated acrylic un-cleared paint that just mimics the single stage or tri-coat base/clear paint process that rarely (if ever) matches or even looks good depth or color clarity wise"

What gives? Does HD not have access to the proper paint from PPG in the first place, and if they did, why wouldn't they just get that in the first place? Can only a bonafide body shop/paint shop/distributor get the right paint from PPG?

·
Registered
556 Posts
RH is correct for a new color like Laguna Orange. Until HD releases the formula's for new colors they are only available from the PPG plant at those high prices. I'm waiting for the formula for Laguna Orange because my customer doesn't want to pay those prices. Then it will be available at the PPG store at a lower price and you can buy a quantity of your choice. For example I bought some Tequila Sunrise this week for 73.82 a pint. (PPG DBC-PT REGULAR COLOR PREMIUM BASECOAT HARLEY DAVIDSON TEQUILA SUNRISE COLOR CHIP: 930847/2). Harley has released the formula for Black Quartz so it is available at your local PPG store. Harley charges extra for new colors.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can buy Factory Harley Paint from the dealer, But you also have to have a working arrangement with a dealer. My brother paints a lot of bikes and replacement parts for a couple of dealers in Ohio. He can get any Factory color that Harley uses.
Maybe find out from the service department who does their paint work and color matching, they might be able to help with getting the paint and price.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Try your local PPG store and they should have your 2016 Cosmic Blue Pearl. They can find it by color name and year, no code needed. RoadHawg is correct, paint from the Harley parts counter is inferior in the three stage colors from the Harley dealership. Cosmic Blue from your local PPG store will be your best match. If you are doing an overall paint job then it doesn't matter so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Maybe find out from the service department who does their paint work and color matching, they might be able to help with getting the paint and price.
Service department has an excellent local painter, and I've since learned he has some leftover CBP obtained from PPG.

Try your local PPG store and they should have your 2016 Cosmic Blue Pearl.
You guys rock! Thanks for clarifying this. It saves a little coin, as well as disappointment down the road because of an inferior paint. Appreciate your patience.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
PPG formulas have "price codes" for different colors (not just for HD colors) reds are usually a higher price code like a W or even Z, and colors with special effects can also be higher price codes, this is why the cost per pint can vary at your local PPG jobber that will mix it while you wait, and most jobbers will sell to the public and you don't necessarily have to be an autobody shop or commercial shop to buy the paints.
Even a simple repair or to just paint a fender can get pretty spendy for all the right materials, epoxy primer and activator, base colors, quality clear and activator and even the proper reducer is not cheap anymore.
At least in the California county I live in we can still get the good solvent based paints unlike the valley and SoCal that is forced to use water based and low voc paints.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I just check with dealer on Black hills gold. I need it to have a sidecar painted to match . $119 a quart. He said give him a call when I need it. I surely not going to have some guy try and mix up something that might come close.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts