Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy all, first post on here but long time member of the "other" forum. came from a softy Breakout and now on a shark bike. so far it's been great but finding the right seat seems to be a daunting task.

so i got the bike in March and the stock seat immediately felt terrible so i jumped on my local CL and found a seat called the sidekick made by the MoCo. it is similar to the badlander which i had seat time on since my buddy has the badlander on his touring bike. so i bought it just to get me by. i can do 100 miles at a time and about 200 miles a day on that seat. i actually wound up using the sidekick with an airhawk pad do do our key west trip (we cheated a bit and used the autotrain).

anyway i want to do more long distance riding so i picked up a mustang vintage super tour seat with backrest. while it does allow me to do more distance i don't like the position the seat puts me in and i feel like i can still get something that better fits me.

i was going to do the russel day long but they are like 3 months out on their work so i might keep that an option if i don't find something better by the end of the summer.

i am now looking at the Danny Gray LowIST, Le Pera maverick daddy long legs or the corbin solo tour or gunfighter.

i like to be more down and back where the mustang goes up and ever so slightly back.

thoughts?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Your local dealer should have demo seats to try. Try as many as you can. Put at lest 100 miles on each. I showed up at the dealer when they opened and did a lunch run on each seat.

I ended up with a solo tour. I also have a heated Corbin tour. Harley solo tour is more comfortable than the Corbin.

Everyone is different. What one loves, another hates.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
Quest for a good seat

Welcome, good luck in your search for a seat. Like already stated, seats are like windshield, handlebars things like that it's what one likes.

Reactions: madmat

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Well I can tell you that chasing the ol' seat unicorn is quite the adventure (and an expensive one at that)! I currently have 3 seats, but am always on the lookout for new things to try.

I'm 6'3, 33" inseam and started out with the Harley Reach seat that came on my bike when I got it used. That was pretty terrible, so I found a stock Road Glide seat for cheap and it serves me pretty well, and can accept the Harley adjustable backrest that is great for my bad back/longer rides. I also have a C&C Custom Solo which I use for around town. It sits me further back (a good thing) but also further down (not so good) and doesn't have a backrest. It looks amazing and is fine for around town/short commutes. THEN I have an Ultra Classic Sundowner that is super thick/bulky, great with the tour pack and for long distance rides with the wife on the back. It sits me up way higher though, so I have to have a different windshield when I run that.

In other words... it is never ending!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Well I can tell you that chasing the ol' seat unicorn is quite the adventure (and an expensive one at that)! I currently have 3 seats, but am always on the lookout for new things to try.

I'm 6'3, 33" inseam and started out with the Harley Reach seat that came on my bike when I got it used. That was pretty terrible, so I found a stock Road Glide seat for cheap and it serves me pretty well, and can accept the Harley adjustable backrest that is great for my bad back/longer rides. I also have a C&C Custom Solo which I use for around town. It sits me further back (a good thing) but also further down (not so good) and doesn't have a backrest. It looks amazing and is fine for around town/short commutes. THEN I have an Ultra Classic Sundowner that is super thick/bulky, great with the tour pack and for long distance rides with the wife on the back. It sits me up way higher though, so I have to have a different windshield when I run that.

In other words... it is never ending!
If you want to end your search make an appointment at Rich's custom seats in Kingston, Washington and your search will be over. There's a reason people come down from Canada and ride in from multiple states away to have him custom fit their seats. He's done both my roadglide and my crotch rocket. I can ride the Glide or the crotch rocket all day now...or as long as my knees cooperate. Not cheap but well worth it if you want comfort. And they do amazing work with custom covers in anything from vinyl to exotic animal skin.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
If you're going with a solo seat, it's awful hard to beat the Harley CVO style solo seat. They look great and they are comfortable. I ended up with a C&C solo primarily because of some fuel tank paint issues (I've got denim black) and the OEM seat rubbed some nasty marks in the tank that wouldn't be covered by the nose of the CVO style solo. I did put about an hour on the seat though before I went back to the dealership. If it hadn't been for the paint problem I'd be on the Harley CVO instead of the C&C.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If you're going with a solo seat, it's awful hard to beat the Harley CVO style solo seat. They look great and they are comfortable. I ended up with a C&C solo primarily because of some fuel tank paint issues (I've got denim black) and the OEM seat rubbed some nasty marks in the tank that wouldn't be covered by the nose of the CVO style solo. I did put about an hour on the seat though before I went back to the dealership. If it hadn't been for the paint problem I'd be on the Harley CVO instead of the C&C.
Completely agree the HD low profile, aka cvo solo, is a great seat. It's what I'm using. Very slightly modified and gel added. First thing Rich said is that it doesn't need much modification for most riders to be an excellent seat. A great overall starting shape and good pan. I had mine lowered(flattened a bit) for my wide butt and lots of gel put in with a diamond double stitch leather cover made. Some don't love leather but I do. I rode on the vinyl covered low profile for a while and couldn't stand it. Felt like it gave me monkey butt.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Seat

Love my '16 CVO 2 piece so far, but I was about to buy a seat from Ultimate Seats because of the one I had on the VTX I could literally ride 10 hrs with no monkey ass...check them out it's a great off the shelf seat...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts