Road Glide banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 2004 Road King and yesterday he came over and while I was tinkering fixing my front brake switch while he decided to adjust his clutch cable. It did have a lot of slack in it. Well we took of and while at the gas station we thought the cable was adjusted to tight a broke!!!!!! He still could put the bike in gear. Got it back home to swap out clutch cables and we took the transmission cover off and the cable was actually off of the inner ramp. Its like the clutch is hung up or something. Do you guys think its the clutch gone bad or cable issue? Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Cable issue , it is very likely the cable came off the ramp during adjustment , also if he rode over to your place , he did the adjustment with a hot or warm clutch pack , which is a no no . Never adjust with a warm clutch pack , always cold ...

JtB

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well while in line at the stealership to buy the clutch cable he met an old harley head. After talking with him for a while the old harley head asked him was the bike making a noise and he replied no. Old harley head told him to do nothing to the bike but go get the trailer load it up and bring it home and he would come over there and fix it and it shouldn't take long. Bike is fixed now. I asked him what did he do to it and he just said he went in the primary and screwed the clutch pack all the way in and loosened it up and viola bike fixed. Really didn't understand what the hell he was talking bout lol. Guy didn't even charge him but he gave 60 bucks and a 12 pack of Michelob Ultra lol.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
well that's the way it is adjusted , you loosen the clutch cable , then go in the clutch pack , back off the locknut , turn the adjuster screw in all the way and back out half to one turn , then lock the lock nut , then take up the proper slack on the clutch cable ..

JtB

·
Registered
641 Posts
Also, you don't want to take ALL the slack out of the cable. To properly adjust the clutch, you completely loosen the cable, adjust the actual clutch pack, and THEN take the slack out of the cable. If you don't leave a little bit of slack in the cable it will cause the clutch to slip. Either check youtube or a service manual for a step by step.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.