Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a set of chrome sliders on my bike, the left seal is leaking bad, I noticed that when I seated the seal it went in really easy.

Just wanted to get an opinion on the chroming process, could the process make the seal bore go over size and is there a fix, can I put loctite around the seal.

Also can anyone suggest a good method of putting the seal on from the bottom of the fork.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The chroming should make the seat of the seal smaller, unless the slider has been re-machined. The only way i can think of to replace that seal from the bottom is to pull the slider off and leave the tube on the bike, but if you are going that far why not undo the pinch bolt and the cap bolt and get the whole thing up on a bench so you can work on it easier. As for the leak you could have the wrong seal, a nik in it or i have put them in upside down and had them leak on me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The chroming should make the seat of the seal smaller, unless the slider has been re-machined. The only way i can think of to replace that seal from the bottom is to pull the slider off and leave the tube on the bike, but if you are going that far why not undo the pinch bolt and the cap bolt and get the whole thing up on a bench so you can work on it easier. As for the leak you could have the wrong seal, a nik in it or i have put them in upside down and had them leak on me.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, just removing the slider is really fast, however getting the seal on is a bit of bitch.

I put the seal in with the taper side facing down, I believe that is the way it's manufactured because it's supposed to be installed from the top of the tube and slid down into place.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got her figured out, cleaned the lower fork with carb cleaner, put the electrical tape on the fork where the lower bushing sits so that the seal would slide right over the lip and a liberal amount of new oil on the seal and fork.

I put the original seal in up side down, live and learn, the seal has an outer dia that transitions into a slightly larger diameter, the larger dia I found out goes down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts