Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with the HD Stealth Luggage rack, any problems with fitment? I recently acquired a rack from an eBay auction. The rack is in very good condition with no visible issues. It also has the HD markings inside the underside of the rack blades, so I'm pretty sure it's genuine.

The problem I'm having is that it seems just a little tight getting on the rack to the point where I either have to try to pull out the mounting points to fit onto the docking hardware. Seems like I really have to work to get it on.

Is this normal?

Once on, the fit is nice and tight with no rattling or movement.

I didn't have any problem with my backrest fitting on. But the rack just seems slightly off where I can't say "it fits like a glove."

What has been your experience?

E

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I have had it for awhile but recall it was sort of a pain in the ass getting on at first. Would not go into mounting points smoothly like my other attachments. All good now, easy on and off. If it is genuine (I know some knockoffs on eBay), based on my experience, I think you may be fine.

Now, I did have to return one since it was not "matched" to the mounting hardware but there was no way to get that one on. Just a dud they shipped out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
613 Posts
I am on my third stealth luggage rack and all three have fit differently. What I figured out was the end can get bent in or out which makes it hard to push into the pins on the bracket. I did a bit of careful modification to the bracket. If it need opened or pryed farther apart I did this or if it was a bit too wide I bent it in just enough to line it up. After that they worked great. I have also had the locking part come unscrewed so keep an eye on this as well.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

I am on my third stealth luggage rack and all three have fit differently. What I figured out was the end can get bent in or out which makes it hard to push into the pins on the bracket. I did a bit of careful modification to the bracket. If it need opened or pryed farther apart I did this or if it was a bit too wide I bent it in just enough to line it up. After that they worked great. I have also had the locking part come unscrewed so keep an eye on this as well.
Any advice on how you modded it?

Could it be a pre 2009 model?
No, I think the pre '09 actually bolts on to the bike.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had the same issue with my stealth rack. In fact, I couldn't get it on at all, so I put it back in the box with the intent of taking it back to dealer. The mounting points were too narrow for the docking station. The backrest fit perfectly. The next day, I decided to put it on the carpet in my house and step on the inside of the bracket on one side while pulling up on the other side very gently. I didn't notice if it actually stretched a bit, but when I put it on the bike, perfect fit. I would say just be careful you don't over stretch which may risk cracking the chrome.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same issue with my stealth rack. In fact, I couldn't get it on at all, so I put it back in the box with the intent of taking it back to dealer. The mounting points were too narrow for the docking station. The backrest fit perfectly. The next day, I decided to put it on the carpet in my house and step on the inside of the bracket on one side while pulling up on the other side very gently. I didn't notice if it actually stretched a bit, but when I put it on the bike, perfect fit. I would say just be careful you don't over stretch which may risk cracking the chrome.
That is exactly the problem. I'm able to get it on but it is a very tight fit and takes some prodding. I'll have to try your technique. Sounds like it may be the best way. I haven't taken it off since I got it on, so, it should be a fun job taking it off too!

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Same issue. After a few times I found that I had to push one side in a hair further to help it seat evenly. Maybe issue is with 4 point docking.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same issue. After a few times I found that I had to push one side in a hair further to help it seat evenly. Maybe issue is with 4 point docking.
I don't think it's the docking hardware only because my backrest does fit like a glove with no issues getting it on and off.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I don't think it's the docking hardware only because my backrest does fit like a glove with no issues getting it on and off.
If it's still giving you problems take it to the dealer and tell them to put it on. After a little time of looking like a monkey with a football they will get you a new one. That's what I did with the first one I had that was defective. They did not believe me over the phone.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
530 Posts
That is exactly the problem. I'm able to get it on but it is a very tight fit and takes some prodding. I'll have to try your technique. Sounds like it may be the best way. I haven't taken it off since I got it on, so, it should be a fun job taking it off too!

Thanks for the tip!
Any luck with fixing your problem?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry I just saw this thread but had the very same issue with the stealth rack on my 13'. I had to "stretch" the bracket a bit to get it to fit. Even then it was snug.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts