Road Glide banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my first long trip on my 15 I have noticed I really need a place to hold my water bottle. I don't like the cup holder look on my bars. Not sure why just not for me. So i got to thinking maybe i want to get some saddle bag guards. This will allow me to install the travel bag with the water bottle holder. However i am up in the air about the look. Does anyone have them on? Do you have any pictures? Any issues with them. I am all about the looks. I want the cool factor I know that sounds funny but its true I a more about looks than function sometimes.. Also what about when you ride with a passenger? I have read a few posts on here that they hate them. Can't get anything the wife won't like , can't handle the complaining !!!

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Get the saddlebag guards you'll be glad you did the first time the bike tips over, and it will tip over sometime in the future. The bike looks real cool with the saddlebags all scratched up :rolleyes: so get the guards.
I use the HD leather pouch with the drink bottle holder on the left side and it works fine for me.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
2,339 Posts
The bottle holders look really cool to people who don't have them.......when it's 104 degrees :D

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
3,967 Posts
....... I want the cool factor I know that sounds funny but its true I a more about looks than function sometimes..
........ and you're on a Road Glide ? ..... buddy, buddy, buddy, i'm thinkin' an intervention is in your future

Can't get anything the wife won't like , can't handle the complaining !!!
.... while perhaps due for an intervention, i can see that yer a smart man !

.... i haven't seen 'bar bags' for the newer Rushmore saddlebag bars, they've got a different profile than the older ones.
....... have heard that water bottles stored on the saddlebag bars get hot in a hurry
......... now, about this intervention ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
After my first long trip on my 15 I have noticed I really need a place to hold my water bottle. I don't like the cup holder look on my bars. Not sure why just not for me. So i got to thinking maybe i want to get some saddle bag guards. This will allow me to install the travel bag with the water bottle holder. However i am up in the air about the look. Does anyone have them on? Do you have any pictures? Any issues with them. I am all about the looks. I want the cool factor I know that sounds funny but its true I a more about looks than function sometimes.. Also what about when you ride with a passenger? I have read a few posts on here that they hate them. Can't get anything the wife won't like , can't handle the complaining !!!
First let me add, I too did not like the look of the cup holder on the handlebars. Adding the saddlebag guards is a no brainer, especially for doing as they are designed...protecting the saddlebags. If, should an unfortunate event such as dropping one's bike over :eek: the guards will protect your bags from getting scratched all to hell and that alone is worth the investment.

The addition of the saddlebag guard water bottle holders is a great alternative to the handlebar cup holder. The first being it gets it off the bars :rolleyes: and two, it's removable with just a couple of snaps, so you can remove it for when you want to look "cool" at your local bike night. :cool:

I love mine and pretty much leave them on all the time, I put a couple of stainless thermos water bottles in them and I have nice cool water to drink on these hot Texas days. Water stays cool for hours! My girlfriend rides her own and has these same thermos's on her bike. When she does ride with me, she hasn't complained about them...other things sure :eek:, but the water bottle holders no.

See link below for thermos example.

One tip though, put a tennis ball in the bottom of the drink holder so the thermos doesn't sit too far down and makes it easier to pull out on the ride.

You won't be sorry you invested in the saddlebag guards once you get them, especially when they save your bags in that one unfortunate moment when your bike comes in contact with the ground!

Good luck on your decision whatever it may be!

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
2,339 Posts
....... have heard that water bottles stored on the saddlebag bars get hot in a hurry

Not if you use these......

Rode the Badlands a couple years ago in 104 degree heat. Those things kept my Gatorade nice and cold all day.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
Like some of the others have stated, the saddle bag bars do help of you ever drop the bike(or when). I have a vivid black RGS and put the black guards on and I think they look just fine. However you decide to carry your water bottle, the guards are a benefit in my option.

·
Administrator
2,716 Posts
I bought the HD bag for the SW5 trip this year. They proved to be very useful.

I have an insulated travel mug that I bought from Target for 20.00 and it kept ice all day.

The location of the bags makes it very easy to get the mug in and out, I'll be removing the handlebar cup holder soon.

D.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had a used '12 FLHX that I bought last year with the comfort saddlebag guards and I HATED the look. So I had them powder coated gloss black to match the black bike. They 'hid' much better and looked just fine to me after. I was really glad to have them last month when I hit oil on an cloverleaf off ramp and totalled the '12. Slid at 35 on the engine and saddlebag guards. Probably saved my right leg from anymore road rash than I got. Was also very helpful in lifting the bike and getting it off the road. I'm definately going to put a set on my '15 RG.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This was one of the first mods I did. Got a set for half price at my dealer. Asked if they had any new take offs and just happened to have a set. Someone wanted to get that look off their bike. I put the leather drink holders on each side. Had them on my Street Glide and the wife and I loved having a place for something cold to drink.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I added gloss-black saddlebag guards on my Vivid Black RGS the day I brought it home. Since my bike is a solo-rider bike, I didn't get the comfort bars and they almost visually disappear on my bike. Dunno if I'll ever attach drink holders to them, but I'll definitely look into the saddlebag rails that attach to it and surround the bags ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.