Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of adding the WHIM setup and getting the headset for my Evoline 3. But I'm thinking I may not like not hearing traffic noise. With the stereo I hear my music and can hear cars, horns, sirens and such. What's your experience? Have you had a close call because you didn't hear something? Can I just listen to music through the bikes speakers and use the headset for communication and GPS directions?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I think you can if you have the 6.5 Boom Audio by selecting each output from the config menu. I remember to have done it myselfl a few months ago. So I don't remember very well all the steps to follow in the screen.

I am not sure about older systems or the 4.5 one.

Oscar

P.S. I was using the headphones connected to the bike through the wire in my RGU 17

·
Registered
345 Posts
i have a wired set up, but have it configured the way you want to do it. my music plays through the "big" speakers and my wife talks through my headset. voice prompts are also in my headsets. so yes you can set it up the way you want it.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have the 6.5. Thanks guys. I think this will be an add on I get now.

·
Registered
958 Posts
On the 6.5 you chose what comes through the speakers in set up - I've never had an issue of hearing sounds around me - but I normally ride with the music set to the bike not the head set - I set head set for phone / GPS......

·
Registered
848 Posts
To your last question, yes you can listen to music through the bike speakers and use the headset for communication just like a wired headset or a Freewire. I normally use my Sena 10s with my Freewire on my half helmet and ear buds, no problem hearing with that setup. My modular helmet muffles outside sound anyway, it’s better to listen to everything through the helmet speakers. I’m looking to pick up a set of HD Sena wireless units so I can use them with my newly installed WHIM...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was thinking of adding the WHIM setup and getting the headset for my Evoline 3. But I'm thinking I may not like not hearing traffic noise. With the stereo I hear my music and can hear cars, horns, sirens and such. What's your experience? Have you had a close call because you didn't hear something? Can I just listen to music through the bikes speakers and use the headset for communication and GPS directions?
I have the WHIM, installed it myself and put up a youtube video. Yes you can listen through the speakers and use the GPS and communications from the head set. I do have the Harley Sena evo20s headset.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I watched that video as well as the Law Abiding Biker WHIM install video.

LAB is saying that if your bike came with a CB plug (which the 2016 RGU in the video above has), then you'll have to purchase an additional $50 harness for proper interface. According to LAB, the additional harness is not necessary for some 18's that don't have that plug/CB option.

The person that posted the 16RGU video didn't mention anything about having to purchase a different harness, and there was no follow-up as to whether he got it working or not; he basically just showed the install process on a Road Glide.

The HD website for the Wireless Headset Interface Module, under the FITMENT tab, clearly states '14-'17 models require the separate purchase of Wireless Headset Interface Module Harness P/N 69201726. Doesn't mention 18's that might have the CB option so leads me to believe 18's won't need the additional harness, but don't know for sure. The harness mentioned does not reflect fitment on 18's, so go figure.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/wireless-headset-interface-module
https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/wireless-headset-interface-module-harness

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll have to find the post on HDForums. Guy figured out a cheap way to avoid the added adapter. 5 dollar plug and pull the 2 wires from the .ain harness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not really into audio, but I've been running Sena's since I found out about them. Unbranded 20s in my case. For me, the situational awareness of communicating about what the cager is about to do, or that really cool sight to the right, or the gravel you just saw in the turn far outweighs any percieved loss of feedback from traffic. I primarily use the iPhone to Nav and stream tunes if wanted. The other thing about them, is I've taken emergent calls and even done conference calls from the bike and no one even knows I'm riding. Waze as a navagation tool and you might not really need to spend the coin on the WHIM. BUT to use the bikes features it looks like that is a requirement.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I watched that video as well as the Law Abiding Biker WHIM install video.

LAB is saying that if your bike came with a CB plug (which the 2016 RGU in the video above has), then you'll have to purchase an additional $50 harness for proper interface. According to LAB, the additional harness is not necessary for some 18's that don't have that plug/CB option.

The person that posted the 16RGU video didn't mention anything about having to purchase a different harness, and there was no follow-up as to whether he got it working or not; he basically just showed the install process on a Road Glide.

The HD website for the Wireless Headset Interface Module, under the FITMENT tab, clearly states '14-'17 models require the separate purchase of Wireless Headset Interface Module Harness P/N 69201726. Doesn't mention 18's that might have the CB option so leads me to believe 18's won't need the additional harness, but don't know for sure. The harness mentioned does not reflect fitment on 18's, so go figure.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/wireless-headset-interface-module
https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/wireless-headset-interface-module-harness
If you listened to the first 15 seconds of the video I show the 3 parts needed and say that this is the extra cable since I have a 2016 Road Glide. And yes, it is working after the Dealer flashed the radio.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you listened to the first 15 seconds of the video I show the 3 parts needed and say that this is the extra cable since I have a 2016 Road Glide.
Batman, I said you didn't mention the purchase of a "different" harness.

"This is the extra cable since I have a 2016 RGU" only means you have an extra cable, i.e. you have one, and now you have another. My point is, you don't mention it's different, or why a 16RGU needs one. No one is informed that the harness in the kit won't work on 17's and below, again, that was my point. Perhaps you're assuming anyone that watches your video already knows this. I can assure you, not everyone does.

No disrespect man, and apologize if I hit a nerve. As for the video, I wish more of them were like yours. Cut to the chase, short, sweet, and informative, so thanks for taking the time to provide that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts