Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I play my iPod, some songs sound great and others come out distorted. A friend told me that it's the bitrate. I agree, but I'm wondering. Are there any stereo's out there that will automatically adjust and make all the songs sound good? Thanks for any help here.

·
Registered
714 Posts
When I play my iPod, some songs sound great and others come out distorted. A friend told me that it's the bitrate. I agree, but I'm wondering. Are there any stereo's out there that will automatically adjust and make all the songs sound good? Thanks for any help here.
Is it always the same songs that sound bad? What do you mean distorted? Is it clipping on a beat, or do the cymbals sound all worbelly? (that's a wordd, right?)

IF you have a very low-bitrate song on the ipod, there's not much you can do. The problem is that it's been compressed too far and the there isn't enough "data" to play the song with decent fidelity. Compressing music is "lossy" meaning, some of the fidelity is thrown away and you can't get it back.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If you have a poor files on the Ipod (Low bitrate etc) most likely is will sound worse than others regardless on what system is playing it.

I spent some time during the winter fixing the files to a better quality on my Ipod and it help tremendously

Just my .02

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the same songs. How do you "fix" files to get them to sound better? I thought once they were ripped or downloaded, they stayed the same bitrate. Can they be changed? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
They can't be fixed because of the compression used. There are a few settings that can be adjusted in iTunes when you download a song from the site or a CD but that's about it. This has ruined music IMO. I download HD tracks from a few sites and am waiting on a PONO player from Neil Young's company that will be out at the end of this year.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is a PONO player?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is what I did after listening to a weekend tech show. If you have enough music to make it worth it, you only need to do it for one year at $25 then cancel your subscription since now all of your songs are at a higher quality.

For an annual cost of $25, iTunes Match will save your music to the cloud and upgrade them to 256kb AAC with no copy protection.

After iTunes has matched the songs, you can delete all the matched songs from your library and re-download them to get the higher quality copies.

- See more at: http://techguylabs.com/episodes/875/how-can-i-restore-my-ipods-songs-back-my-pc#sthash.0lGa32ZI.dpuf

·
Registered
363 Posts
This is what I did after listening to a weekend tech show. If you have enough music to make it worth it, you only need to do it for one year at $25 then cancel your subscription since now all of your songs are at a higher quality.

For an annual cost of $25, iTunes Match will save your music to the cloud and upgrade them to 256kb AAC with no copy protection.

After iTunes has matched the songs, you can delete all the matched songs from your library and re-download them to get the higher quality copies.

- See more at: http://techguylabs.com/episodes/875/how-can-i-restore-my-ipods-songs-back-my-pc#sthash.0lGa32ZI.dpuf
That's what I did, but I kept my iTunes Match account. Worth it cuz the songs automatically downloads to my iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc.

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you use ITunes to store your music try this.1) Select the first album in your library by highlighting all the songs. 2) go up top to file and scroll down to create new file and a side bar should pop up with a choice that says create apple lossless file. 3) click on this and let it up grade all the songs you selected. You will see an album that was maybe 85 or 90 MBs jump in size to 4 or 5 hundred MBs.Then you save the new and trash the old. It is a good idea to store all this music on an external hard drive because it will add up fast and take up all your space. You won't be able to put as many songs on you device but the difference is night and day. I put a nice stereo in my truck and my IPod sounded terrible, I was going to quit using it all together until I did this. Now I can crank up every song I have and they sound great. It is a process but well worth it. I hope this makes sense and helps you out.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Good advice will have to try that!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Another recommendation for iTunes Match here. Best money and time spent upgrading a music library compiled from here and there. It even replaced partially recorded songs or ones that sounded mono with new clean copies. Watch it if you have songs with explicit lyrics that also have a clean radio version as you don't want to match the song name based on the radio version then delete your original explicit one. Took about 4 weeks of monitoring and restarting for a library of 16K songs so be prepared to invest some time if you have a large library. Note that it will store everything in your music library to your Match account and it's primarily for music and music videos only. Song matching is only good as long as Apple has the song available in iTunes. It will just store and allow you to sync everything else though. Your songs and playlists can also sync to a Windows PC that is authorized for the account. I'll have to try that lossless file type mentioned in a prior post.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, great information guys. Thanks! I'm glad I asked now. I'm gonna spend some time looking at iTunes today. I hope the wife didn't want too much done around the house. Lol!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you use ITunes to store your music try this.1) Select the first album in your library by highlighting all the songs. 2) go up top to file and scroll down to create new file and a side bar should pop up with a choice that says create apple lossless file. 3) click on this and let it up grade all the songs you selected. You will see an album that was maybe 85 or 90 MBs jump in size to 4 or 5 hundred MBs.Then you save the new and trash the old. It is a good idea to store all this music on an external hard drive because it will add up fast and take up all your space. You won't be able to put as many songs on you device but the difference is night and day. I put a nice stereo in my truck and my IPod sounded terrible, I was going to quit using it all together until I did this. Now I can crank up every song I have and they sound great. It is a process but well worth it. I hope this makes sense and helps you out.
One question to that. Do I have to have the iPod plugged in when I do this? Thanks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, I tried it, but it looks like I don't have that option. Or, am I in the wrong area? I tried it two different ways. Hoping you can point me in the right direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Okay, I tried it, but it looks like I don't have that option. Or, am I in the wrong area? I tried it two different ways. Hoping you can point me in the right direction.

That's where it would be. I guess make sure your ITunes version is up to date. Also I use an apple computer and I don't know if that's what you use. A PC May be different. You can try changing a song to the acc and the try again to see if the lossless option pops up then.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm pretty sure everything is updated. It's a HP computer though. I'll try it and see what happens. I'll use some old music I don't listen to, just in case it deletes it or something. Thanks though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts