Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. My bike is a 2012 HD Roadglide with a Coastal Moto 21" front wheel (120/70/21) and Coastal Moto 17" rear wheel (200/55/17). I have the Progressive monotube suspension lowered 1" and most of my riding, 90% is one up. When I do have my wife on the back I also have to add the removable tour pack so I'm adding 170-200 pounds to my 230 pounds. Now I want to upgrade the rear suspension and have been recommended to try JRI and Motorcycle Metal. I believe they are both good companies offering good products but was looking for some information from people that have either/or. So far all I've been told is "you need to call JRI" or "you need to call Motorcycle Metal". Any help or recommendations so that I can make an informed choice once I call both would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,476 Posts
So what are you waiting for? Just call Howard at Motorcycle Metal and he can answer any question about suspensions you can throw at him. And probobably a few other subjects too if need be... :p

·
Super Moderator
13,517 Posts
I know Howard does Ohlins now since I believe JRI changed their manufacturing process. But definitely call Howard at Motorcycle Metal, he can stir you in the right direction, I'm very happy with what he did for me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats exactly what I've been told, call Howard. I'm just curious as to why? I know he's knowledgable but what did he do for you that you liked? What is your setup now?

Why is Howard a better/different/smarter choice than JRI?

Again that is the ONLY recommendations that have been made. Call Howard at Motorcycle Metal or call Jeff at JRI. What is the biggest difference between the two and why?
I know whichever I call will try and sell themselves and I doubt either will talk bad about the other so why choose one over the other?

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,476 Posts
He can get you the setup that suits you best and help get you dialed in a LOT quicker than most anyone else. He has been doing suspensions for a very long time and knows what he's doing. So the reason everyone just says "Call Howard" is because he can save you some time, money, and frustration. Hope this helps.

-Ken

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thats exactly what I've been told, call Howard. I'm just curious as to why? I know he's knowledgable but what did he do for you that you liked? What is your setup now?

Why is Howard a better/different/smarter choice than JRI?

Again that is the ONLY recommendations that have been made. Call Howard at Motorcycle Metal or call Jeff at JRI. What is the biggest difference between the two and why?
I know whichever I call will try and sell themselves and I doubt either will talk bad about the other so why choose one over the other?
Since you are in FL. just roll to bike week and talk to him.

·
The ICON
2,342 Posts
Howard has been doing suspensions longer than most , he has a wealth of knowledge , does not hard sell or push just gives you information to help you decide , he gives a big forum discount , after the sale he is always there for you should you have any issue , I've never gotten after the sale support like he offers

·
Registered
853 Posts
You could also look into the DIY air ride suspensions people are doing. I just did it on my bike and am very happy.
I have dual controls, manual and remote, and the ability to adjust on the fly if my ride height isn't where it should be, plus, you can let the air out completely, drop it down and back out with ease if you're short legged like me.
The ride is MUCH improved over the 2015 Special with the CVO shock.
I believe there is a sticky in the Suspension Area

·
Life Member
5,439 Posts
I just got off the phone with Howard this morning after placing orders for 2 sets of shocks for mine and the wife's bikes (Sunday even!). As mentioned he will definitely answer all your questions and make sure you get the right set up for you. Thanks to FrankieB and TracyB for steering me in this direction. I feel confident I made the right decision to use Howard for my suspension needs.

As tj316 mentioned, be sure to let him know you are a forum member to take advantage of his forum discount. Besides the fact he knows his shit, he is a hoot to talk to and you will most likely have a laugh or two during the discussion :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For all that responded, thank you. I gained exactly what I was looking for and will be calling Howard tomorrow.
Again, thank you very much.

·
Registered
520 Posts
No shockgasm here. But when my wife got on the 15 CVO yesterday for the first time after putting on the Ohlins, all i can say is it's nice to hear for once "i'm glad you bought these." I, she, we all love the new ride. Now, on to the front!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.