Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disregard the following post - newbie error!

Here's a question that might have already been discussed in the 22 pages of the alarm mod thread of which I admit I did not read every post, so I'm sorry if it was covered there.

I have done this mod and it is a great, inexpensive mod for sure. However, I have noticed on mine that the only time the alarm sounds is if the key is turned on! So even though the alarm system 'activates' when the bike senses movement - which mine does - unless there is power to the bike there will be no alarm sound, right? Is this they way everyone else who has done this mod works?

I know the HD alarm unit has a battery on it and perhaps this is why. So while our mod is cheap and easy, it really only sounds when the key is turned on. So any real value of this mod is somewhat defeated by this. The real benefit of the alarm system is when someone tries to quietly move the bike without turning the system on, right? How many people are going to turn the bike on and try to drive away. And how many of us are going to leave our bikes overnight without locking the forks or more?

Like I said, it's a great mod for sure but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something or maybe I did something wrong on the install.

M.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Mine sounds whenever it wants to. I can recall trailering my bike off to Columbus last summer for a project, and before I got out of the subdivision, my son called me (at 5:00 am) to tell me the alarm started going off as soon as I pulled out of the driveway. I forgot to put the key fob on the bike :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Mine sounds whenever it wants to. I can recall trailering my bike off to Columbus last summer for a project, and before I got out of the subdivision, my son called me (at 5:00 am) to tell me the alarm started going off as soon as I pulled out of the driveway. I forgot to put the key fob on the bike :rolleyes:
Damn, I am glad I am not the only one who has had this happen to! LOL

Yes, mine sounds off when ever it is moved regardless of the it being on or off. I have done this to 3 of my buddies Street GLides and theirs all work also.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, this is good to know. That means I've done something wrong. Or maybe there is something different with my bike since it is new? What years are your bikes? I'll have to re-read my manual to see if I have the security system set wrong.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I put my bike on the ferry crossing Lake Huron, got it all tied down and left the vehicle deck. My wife and I were out on the bow enjoying the great sunshiny day when I heard my alarm going off through the ships vents. Yes, the Radio Shack siren will make noise with the ignition switch turned off. Better yet, know how to put your alarm into shipping mode before you leave it on the vehicle deck of a ship. I should have left my fob in the glove compartment at least....

·
Registered
715 Posts
You have to have the fob away from the bike for the alarm to go off. If it is near the bike you can move it all you want, but it will not go off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Okay, this is good to know. That means I've done something wrong. Or maybe there is something different with my bike since it is new? What years are your bikes? I'll have to re-read my manual to see if I have the security system set wrong.
Mine is a 2012 rgu

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Here's a question that might have already been discussed in the 22 pages of the alarm mod thread of which I admit I did not read every post, so I'm sorry if it was covered there.

I have done this mod and it is a great, inexpensive mod for sure.....
Like I said, it's a great mod for sure but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something or maybe I did something wrong on the install.

M.
Try this, remove both fobs to some distance from the bike, like in the house 10-20 yards away, but where someone can bring them to you quickly, then get on the bike, put the kickstand up and move the bike around a bit or cycle the switch. Wear hearing protection. You'll understand why soon enough.​

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, it was just me. I didn't have the fob far enough away. What a tool! Thanks for the reassurance!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts