Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new 10in windvest in the mail and was wondering do I have to use the rubber windshield trim with it? I just removed a 8 in Klock werks and it was installed without the trim.

·
Registered
71 Posts
windvest

FYI, I'm running a 14" windvest. I didn't use the trim with mine.
However I have 2 large black faucet washers at each fastner between the windshield and fairing. This will let some air through which reduces the negative pressure on the back side of the windshield. Reduces the buffeting.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I've not seen that before but makes sense. Can you dimension these large faucet washers for me, diameter and thickness? How much gap have you created? Is the windshield firm or have a lot of flex?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a 10 inch on my 2015 withe factory screws and washers. At this point all is good. 10000 miles. The shield itself works well for rider and passenger, after trying 4 other ones. The dark smoke looks good on the black bike.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
FYI, I'm running a 14" windvest. I didn't use the trim with mine.
However I have 2 large black faucet washers at each fastner between the windshield and fairing. This will let some air through which reduces the negative pressure on the back side of the windshield. Reduces the buffeting.
Like to hear and see more about this. Im in to try it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The faucet washers are probably 1/2" to 5/8" in outside diameter, and 1/8" to 3/16" max thickness . I'm guessing at this point.
I believe that the larger outside diameter will give your shield better support.
I used the OEM hardware ( screws and wellnuts) with no problem. If the center hole of the washer is small just drill it out.
As you know faucet washers are typically a black hard rubber type material. They blend right in with the bike and windshield.
No issues whatsoever with stability. Probably have 40k miles on my bike with this set up.
This set up slightly simulates the madstadt? Windshield but looks better in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Bike has some parts at the powder coater now, perfect time to pick some up and try.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm for giving this a try, but one last question. I have a bunch of faucet washers but they all are flat on one side and convex on the other, are yours shaped similar? I'm thinkin' flat on both sides would be better.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
You can buy the rubber W/S seal at the dealer. It has some adhesive for the W/S to stay in place. Apx $20. I'd suggest you replace all the hardware with new. Do a search & you'll find some helpful info on replacing your W/S & hardware.

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
You are absolutely correct, you definitely want the ones that are flat on both sides. I have been very happy with this simple
Modification and truly enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am definitely going to put my shield on this way when I put things back together. At least to try it out. Thanks for the idea Tim

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I'm for giving this a try, but one last question. I have a bunch of faucet washers but they all are flat on one side and convex on the other, are yours shaped similar? I'm thinkin' flat on both sides would be better.
If you go to the faucet repair section at Lowe's or Home Depot they have the rubber washers in different sizes and flat on each side. Also in the screw isle, they have the metal draws with specialty items and have some rubber washers too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts